Brass Off - has it run its course?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DocFox, Jan 20, 2009.

1. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Although the movie is still listed as a top classic in the UK, you can only find the CD it seems at Amazon. Midland, World of Brass, 4 Bars Rest don't have it anymore.

Has the music moved on? Do people like the music, but want to hear some besides Grimethorpe play it? I still have about 5 tracks from the album on the radio station and they do well, not great, but well.

Is it time to move away from Brassed Off?

2. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Well considering Grimethorpe still played a selection at Butlins last weekend, I wonder......
  3. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Ipswich And Norwich's CD which I play about 5 tracks does about as well and sometimes better. Grimethorpe in its "Best of" CD (which I also play) repeated a few tracks from Brassed Off. It may be a BIG part of Grimethorpe's Identity. But the question to the average person still remains.

4. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Problem is, you're not asking the 'average' person, you're asking a brass band forum.

Personally, of Grimey's film music, I would far prefer "Escape from the dark" but that's not available at all, and most of the general public that have seen the film wouldn't realise there was anything special about the film's music score and certainly wouldn't buy the CD.
  5. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Well, I misspoke a bit (I do that often). Average "brass bander" maybe?

I own the movie Brassed Off. I watch it every so often. It puts the 1 minute track "Honest Decent Human Beings" into context and watching the movie for music is not a bad thing.

But I was taken aback when you couldn't buy it anymore at brass band CD outlets.

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's 12 years old. The number of sales likely wouldn't be worth the repress costs. If it goes anywhere it'll be onto download to exploit the back catalogue.

It's time to move on.
  7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

That seems like a very good analysis.

Kind of my thoughts. When you could no longer buy it, it seemed it had "run its course."

Of course, you can still buy the CD to the broadway musical "Chess" (30 years ago) and Star Wars (35 years ago). Both have been re-pressed (repressed would impress Freud ;) )

Which of course, lends to the argument that it is time to move on.

8. KMJ Recordings

Watch it with the English correction ;) I've missed the hyphen as I'm having a, er, discussion elsewhere with that someone believes that brass bands should record outside for various reasons (mainly tradition!) :hammer

It depends on how you look at longevity.

Chess is an interesting one - although it's one of my fave musicals, I think it's likely that it's apparent popularity is reflective of it's association with ABBA.

Star Wars is periodically 'refreshed' - remasters, new movies, new cartoons, new unreleased out takes....all of which adds up to potential new audience.

Brassed Off isn't really about Bands at all - it's entirely incidental, really - but it was almost a story of the time. It's unlikely to generate any 'new' to shove it on the net so the people who've scratched their CDs can replace it ;)
  9. Active Member

We were having such trouble getting hold of stock that we decided to delete it when we sold our last copy.
  10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I didn't mean that to be personal. I make typos and grammar mistakes ALL the time. It was just me as a psychologist making a joke, and in retrospect, not a good one.

I apologize.

11. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

You are not the only one.
  12. KMJ Recordings

I was joking Jim ;)
  13. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I removed tracks from the station. I replaced the ones that Grimethrope put on its "Best of" CD (3 total). The station is a hard thing to run in situations like this. How much do we honor the past, and when is it time to "move on". Help from this board is fantastic. I get about 70 listeners a day -- many from the US, but a lot from the UK and a lot from the Netherlands and Switzerland.

All and all, about 70 countries. Thanks for the help.

14. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I bought the DVD from Amazon a few weeks ago.

I'm so not moving on-you can't beat Brassed Off. It's a classic.
  15. boagy

boagy Member

It is still available on Amazon just checked, bargain at £6.88 and I agree with Jess it is a Classic.

16. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Re "Brassed Off" - was there a copyright issue associated with the arrangement of "Orange Juice" and Mrs Aranjuez not being happy with it ? seem to recall a thread about it some time back.
  17. KMJ Recordings

Yep. AFAIK the Bolton arrangement still isn't sanctioned, and IIRC the Fernie arrangement was recalled.
  18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

If it does become deleted and you can't get it officially, then what is the moral stance on obtaining pirate downloads? You wouldn't be depriving the publishers as they don't sell it.

I've struggled with this dilema recently - I wanted the film Godspell and you can't get it in the UK or EU.
    I was sorely tempted to get a pirate copy but eventually imported one from the US (just hope my dvd player can play it.)
  19. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I've got a dvd copy of the film free in a newspaper a couple of years ago. I also had the video free when i brought a pet shop boys cd from woolies many moons ago!
  20. Beesa

Beesa Member

I asked some teenagers in our band if they had ever watched Brassed Off. They replied with they usual "boring", "we don't watch that sort of film" etc. Although of course they had never watched it.

As it happened soon after, it was on the TV and they happened to watch out. Needless to say they now rave about the film and have the DVD. In fact, it seems their whole outlook on brass bands has changed, but that is another subject.

As has been said, Brassed Off is a classic and is timeless. It's had a fantastic run of deserved popularity when it was made and I am sure most of us have seen it quite a few times.

Point being, there has been a generation brought into brass banding since it was released. It will see a wave of popularity again. The younger generation have yet to discover it. Aye, that experience of delight at seeing the film for the first time.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009