Brass Music list started

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by On the Horn, Jul 8, 2003.

1. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

OK now I need peoples help.
    I have set up a yahoo group

So if we are serious about compiling a useful list all we need are people to go into the data base section and update the tables in the Band Music option - also would appreciate if any you feel any more fields are required.

If we all add a few that would instantly be a few hundred updated very quickly.

2. jonford

jonford Member

I will help but surely your never going to get a complete list of every piece that exists!
  3. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Well no I cant see that happening either but a substantial one would be helpful for a lot of people, there is a lot out there that no one has ever heard of so we'll see how it goes.
  4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Good idea I'll try and put a few on
  5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

If it helps you, our library list is online.

Check out in the 'engagements' area.

I'll add my own compositions and arrangements to your list when I get a spare moment...but please don't hold your breath!

6. NeilW

NeilW Member

Likewise I've been looking at the Hampshire County Youth Band's library which is also listed on their website ( and seems to have ~1700 listed.

7. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Cheers guys, will take a while to add in.
  8. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

It's a good idea but I see a few problems:

1. If you have a library of hundreds or thousands of pieces will you be expected to enter each one by hand?
    2. The Import Data option I don't think will be viable as you will have problems with Duplicate entries. How will this be managed?
    3. Do people need to search the entire system (bearing in mind spelling discrepancies ie Broadbent/Braodbent) before entering a new item!

To do this effectively I believe you will need a proper RDMS (Relational Database Management System) which you can query to consolidate duplicates and spelling errors. You will also need a lot of time to spend housekeeping to ensure validation of the data. Having been a DBA myself I know what a daunting job this is.

Just a few thoughts. If you can make it work however good luck to you it would be a valuable resource. :D
  9. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Just want people to give me as much raw data as possible and I can take it further from there, as I said I have way too much free time this summer!!
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

then get a job :p
  11. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I'm working part time, you know that. Did the full time thing for a few years, trying to get away for it all and here I am still with PCs most of the day!!
  12. Naomi McFadyen

oh yea I forgot bout ur ickle job...

I can sort out the computer thing...
    All it takes is an upstairs window, and me dropping the pc out of it ;-)
  13. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I may turn into a fit of rage and attack you like a wild poodle.....hmmm does that make me sound weak ?
  14. Naomi McFadyen

weak and pathetic mate :p