Brass in the Park 2004

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Razor, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Razor

Razor Member

Just wondering if anybody has any results yet for todays contest?
  2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I've been looking for these too - and I thought you had just posted them.. LOL!
  3. NAS

NAS Member

I think United Yorkshire Co-Op retained their title.
  4. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

United Coop were first overall
    Galston were second
    Jedforest third
    Renfrew Burgh 4th

Best 1st Section Yorkshire United Coop
    Best 2nd Renfrew Burgh (Yipee!!!!)
    Best 3rd Section Jedforest
    Best 4th Penicuik (i think)
    Best Soloist Sop player with Jedforest

That's about as much as I can remember
  5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Well done everybody!
  6. Razor

Razor Member

Congrats to all the winners!

Another worthwhile trip north for Yorkshire Co-op.

Well done also to Brian D and Renfrew!

Be interested to hear what everybody played?
  7. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Anybody have a full list of the results yet? I was not at the contest, but curious to see how the bands stacked up!

Who was conducting Renfrew?
  8. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Brian Deans conducted REnfrew and we played Montreal Citadel, Flugal Solo Ye Banks and Braes and hymn tune arrangement of Colne
  9. Miss Horny

Miss Horny New Member

Yorkshire Co-op

Well Done to Ed, Vicky, Carolyn, mark and everybody else at the yorkshire Co-op hope to see you soon.
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I was there!

I, with two members and one ex member of Croydon Band, guested for Arran Brass, in what was only their second 'competition' in their 22 year history. I put 'competition' in inverted commas because we were one of the four bands classed as non-competing. Nevertheless, there was a prize for the best non competing band. We didn't win that but Alan Morrison 'placed' each band regardless of competitive status. To finish 15th out of the 22 bands overall was, though it might not seem like much, a major achievement for Arran Brass. We had several positive comments about our performance and Mr Morrison was clear and fair with his adjudication (which wasn't all roses, but a fair reflection, nonetheless).

It was a fabulous day out at Newtongrange and hopefully, Arran Brass can build on that, whether they continue to compete regularly or not (Finances are a big issue with the band. There are no contests on Arran, so to enter one, competitively or otherwise, necessitates at least one night's stay on the mainland as the ferry timetables do not allow the band to 'hop over' for the day).

Having played with Arran Brass before on my numerous visits to the isle, I can confidently say that they played to the best of their collective abilities yesterday, and one can ask for no more than that.

Well done to all the prizewinners and soloists, and a big thank you to adjudicators and organisers alike. Whether I, as a player, take part in Brass in the Park again, or not, I sincerely hope it continues to flourish. A friendly atmosphere all round and a fine day's music making meant a thoroughly enjoyable experience for me and I know the rest of Arran Brass enjoyed it too.
  11. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Well done for remembering that much Yvonne!
  12. oops

oops New Member

Does any one know who won the best soloist, both senior and junior?
  13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Maybe they should apply for Lottery funding for a band boat...
  14. noddy

noddy Member

It's NEWMILNS and Galston actually!!!
  15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Nice idea but the boat trip's the cheapest part of the deal! It's the accomodation etc. which eats into the band funds! ;-)
  16. davie

davie New Member

Thought I should mention the development section which took place at lunchtime, with four junior bands performing entertainment programmes.

All the bands played well, but first place (and a gold award!) went to Jedforest Juniors under Cameron Mabon (?). They were tremendous and would surely have made an impact in the main contest which I think they were originally entered for.

There was also a gold award for Tweeddale Juniors conducted by Mark Bell, which gives Mark something to put on his CV other than "I can drink out of a bottle using a 6 foot long straw" :).
  17. Owen

Owen Member

Brass in the Park is a top event - I had a great time on my last official job with United Co-op, and on solo euph of all things!

We played Wolvercote (hymn tune) Live and Let Die (Sop solo) and Ravenswood.
  18. CRat63

CRat63 Member

Solo Euph?!!!!
  19. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

No offence meant but as an earlier post suggested I did well to remember that much. I am fully aware that it is Newmilns and Galston and will actually be going to Harrogate next weekend to cheer you lot on !!!!!
  20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member