Brass in Concert - Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by impycornet, Nov 21, 2004.

1. impycornet

impycornet Member

courtesy of 4barsrest

1. Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal, Richard Evans, 253, 196+28.5+28.5
    2. Sellers International, Philip McCann, 250.5, 192+29.5+29.5 [-0.5]
    3. Whitburn, Andy Duncan, 249, 194+27.5+27.5
    4. Reg Vardy (Ever Ready), Ray Farr, 245, 189+28+28
    5. Leyland, Garry Cutt, 234.5, 190+25+25 [-0.5]
    6. Flowers, Philip Harper, 239 , 187+26+26
    7. Kirkintilloch, Steve Bastable, 237, 188+24.5+24.5
    8. Ransome, Graham O'Connor, 236 , 185+25.5+25.5
    9. Carlton Main Frickley, Brian Grant, 236, 183+26.5+26.5
    10. Mount Charles, Morten E Hansen, 236, 182+27+27

Individual awards:

Best soloist: Richars Marchall, Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal (Virtuosity)
    Best Principal Cornet: Kirsty Abbotts, Carlton Main Frickley
    Best Soprano: Steve Stuart, Kirkintilloch
    Best Euphonium: Andy Hicks, Flowers
    Best Percussion: Sellers International
    Best March: Sellers International (Jubilee)
    Best Entertainment and Presentation: Sellers International
    Best Composition: Stephen Roberts, Lark in the Clear Air
    Best Music Playing: Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal
    Youngest Player: G or J? Preston, Mount Charles
  2. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Could someone please tell me what the .5 deductions for Sellers and Leyland where for?
  3. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

ours was for goin 28 secs over the time limit! d'oh!
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Well done Sellersbird...errr...Anna and the rest of Sellers International!!

I thought you all might have pipped Grimethorpe for the win, until they played there finale.

Fantastic job and very entertaining!!
  5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Great day out! Heard 8 out of 10 bands... Very entertaining and enjoyable to watch and listen... Grimey were awesome; well deserved the win... again again again ;-)

Well done Sellers as well... I thought it was great... and defo knew that you would get the Percussion Prize! :)

Nice to meet BBCBari as well...

6. DublinBass

It was nice to meet you as well :) . Sorry if I wasn't more socialable I heard 8 out of 10 bands (That's 4 hours or so)...the most brass band music I had heard at one time and my brain was a bit fried.

The ride home only took less than 4.5 hours with two short stops, so it was definitely worth the trip!

(Don't want to leave Seedhouse out as it was nice to meet him too!!)
  7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Congratulations to all at Sellers, your performance was top class and I for one was disappointed that you didn't win. Well done lads and lassies!!
  8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Was nice to meet you too! :)
    As I was saying though, it's hard to spot who's a tMPer and who's not! :D
    Was nice chatting to you though, and hope I wasn't boring you to death ;)
  9. Jonno

Jonno Member

I was present for the first time as well yesterday and managed to listen to all 10 bands; a very enjoyable experience.

Having listened to everything I can say that I agreed with almost all the results. To me Grimeys was in a different league and deserved the win but I had 2, 3 and 4 in the right order as well. I think Mount Charles were more than a little unlucky to be at the bottom of the pile.

There were some fantastic soloists, any one of which could have walked away with the prize, a particular mention should be made to Katrina Marzella from Whitburn and Kirsty Abbots from Carlton Main who also did a stunning job.

The one result I did not agree with was the 'Best New Arrangement/Composition' award. To me personally I think it went to one of the weaker entries of the day in the form of 'Lark in The Clear Air', with so many bands already having different versions of this for Tenor Horn Solo I can hardly see this enhancing many bands repertoires in the future.

Can I ask who judges the Best New Music awards ? With other pieces there such as the gorgeous, and moving, 'Lullaby for James' by Andy Duncan (Whitburn), the '1001 Nights' by Philip Harper (Flowers), '1712 Overture' by Sandy Smith (Grimethorpe)and 'The Armed Man' by Stephen Bradnam (Sellers) I was just a little more than surprised. Finally on this point, did anybody else notice the amazing similarity between Sandy Smiths 'new' arrangement of "I've Got You Under My Skin" and the Mark Freeh Flugal Solo version that Whitburn played. They seemed to be amazingly similar; in fact they appeared to me to be in the same key with identical accompaniment parts and scoring. The only difference I heard was the fact that, in Mr. Smith's version, the tune started on Flugal then switched over to cornet (at the same point as when the Cornets were resting in Mark Freeh's version) and then returned to the Flugal again. It seemed to me, and the rest of my party, like more than a little bit of paraphrasing was going on by one or the other arranger. Which version came first I wonder ?

All this said, a fantastic day of Brass music in Spennymoor for the last time. My thanks to all the bands, their conductors, and their arrangers etc for a fine day. I look forward to re-visting next year in its new home in Gateshead.

10. DublinBass

I also thought the judging was quite on. After being at the Nationals and Open recently I starting to wonder if tMP oughtto have the prediction competition between the last band and the judges announcement ;)

I had 4 out of the top 5 bands in the correct order (the only one I missed I didn't hear (Reg Vardy).

It sounded like there was some small print in the new music the band had to enter pieces for it and had a limit to the number they entered (I thought I heard Frank Renton make a reference to the two pieces Philip Harper chose to enter for the new music award). For that reason it might be difficult to criticise who won and who didn't without a complete list of entries.
  11. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Aren't they both based on the arrangements (possibly arranged by Quincy Jones) played originally by the Count Basie's big band? If that is the case, it is no wonder they are "similiar". Also, surely they are "transcriptions" (from big band to brass band!!) rather than "arrangements"... that's another matter.....
  12. Iluvsellers

Iluvsellers New Member

I have to (grudgingly) say that I thought Sellers were amazing and a great number of people were more than a little disappointed at their 2nd place.
    I'm not entirely convinced that the Grimey victory was as clear cut as some of the other posters have suggested. Absolutely NOT in a different league and their cheers at the result (drowning out the "polite" applause of the audience) belied their considerable relief.
    Nice one Sellers. I only wish you were at the Scottish Open next week so we could put you in your place (again) :)
  13. Ginge

Ginge Member

Well done to Grimethorpe!

Only heard 2 bands, sellers and whitburn. Thought that both played very well!
    Sellers were very good overall, although was not totally concinced entertainment wise. I personally didn't think it was the most entertaining set of pieces, so was surprised to hear them top for entertainment. Having said that, it was still a very good performance overall and probably deserved their 2nd place! Well done. Also thought that the solists from both bands were excellent!

I'm personlly gutted with our result! I admit that on the day, we weren't at our best, and did make a few slips. Even so, i didn't think our performance was going to give us last place! As i said i didn't hear many bands at all, so can't really comment too much. although i didn't think our performance was so much worse than the two bands i heard.
    Just my opinion, and obviously not the oppinion of the adjudicators.

But that's contesting! Not everyone gets what they want! Just have to wish for better luck next time.
  14. Naomi McFadyen

Well, I'd like to say a huge well done to Mount Charles on their performance... Performing without music and standing up throughout was, as I said to Ginge and a few of the others afterwards, very impressive...

Sadly, you did a concert programme that was a risk; but a risk worth taking anyway. That music was all quality stuff (and it was played extremly well!!!)
    ...Learning it in such short time deserved more credit in my eyes. I certainly didn't think you would have come last!...
    Spennymoor have seen this kinda thing before 3/4 years ago when Stavanger played and it didn't go with the adjudicators then either...

At the end of the day, I'm sure all at Mount Charles would have gained a lot of experience with an excellent conductor, playing excellent music :)
  15. Ginge

Ginge Member

Glad someone liked it! :D
    That's just the way it goes. We tried something different and all loved playing the music! Just down to personal preference at the end of the day.
    Some may have loved it, some obviously didn't think much of it at all.
    A risk worth taking we thought anyway!
    Anyway, was a very good day in general.
    Thanks for your kind comments Naomi! :D
  16. Naomi McFadyen

Pleasure :)

See you guys again soon :)
  17. DublinBass

It seems that more than other 'traditional' contests, entertainment contests have a higher return rate for the adjudicators. Maybe they should get mixed up more to prevent the same bland 'winning formula' being performed by most of the bands.

I think wthe innovative approach Mt Charles did should be encouraged not made to be some formula for last place.
  18. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It's true , we ( Beaumaris) played Wychavon program with a lot of music played from Memory , and used some basic choriography ( in what little space there was onstage ).with only 3 rehersals with Russell Gray.
    Still can't win 'em all...It's a great experience playing for Morten , hope you enjoyed it..
  19. megga

megga New Member

Brass in Concert-Results

I heard all the bands and really enjoyed the day at Spennymoor. I have to say though that I don't think the standard was quite as high this year as in past years. Grimethorpe and Sellers were outstanding without a doubt with one or two others not too far behind and the rest were much of a likeness IMHO.
    I must make special mention of Kirsty Abbots sublime rendition of 'Meditation'. This made the journey worth it for me on its own. Katrina Marzella was also outstanding.
    With regard to Mount Charles performance. Haven't we seen it all before with Stavanger? I don't take away from them the effort they must have put into getting it all together, but it just didn't convince me. All the whooping and dancing around etc, all seemed to be forgotten about after a couple of minutes as the effort of actually remembering and playing the parts took priority. And too many players looked like they weren't enjoying themselves by the end. No, it didn't quite work for me.
    Here's looking forward to next year at the new venue.
  20. timps

timps Member

For those of us that couldn't make the long trip up North, does anyone have a list of what all the bands played??