Brass In Concert Draw

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bbmad, May 27, 2015.

1. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

Last week (before your post was deleted..) you said that the only Bands left, including my Band, were 'toilet break bands'! Now you say that Flowers, Fairey and Carlton Main are easily replaced. Make your mind up...

2. tallyman

tallyman Member

That is because you are not in possession of the facts my good man.
    Grimethorpe and Cory have agreed to support both the cancer research charity AND Brass In Concert. This may surprise you but not all bands support charity concerts for financial gain.

3. tallyman

tallyman Member

Fair play to GUS for supporting the contest, and a fine band they are.

4. tat

tat Member

Yes I know that bands carry out concerts in aid of charity. We held one last week for Ronald McDonald house and Alderhay hospital which we did for nothing and my company even paid for the theatre so that all the money raised went to the two nominated charities. But I do note that you state support, which probably means that they are receiving a fee for said support, but hey as you said I'm not receipt of all the facts so what do I know.

5. tallyman

tallyman Member

Finding a cure for Ronald Mcdonald is very commendable, but the facts are Grimey and Cory would be financialy better off just doing the "World Of Brass In Concert " concert at the sage the night before as they did last year, and not to have to travel many hundreds of miles through the night to support both events.

6. tat

tat Member

Oh the hardship of a 1 hour flight must be terrible!!

7. tallyman

tallyman Member

Have Grimey and Cory really chosen logistically manageable travel arrangements?? That is indeed terrible !! I think the other bands should throw their toys out of the pram with immediate effect.

8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I have to say, knowing nothing other than what I've read on 4BR about it, that's exactly what it looks like to the outsider. There might well be other reasons and extenuating circumstances, etc etc, but to someone who's not in the know, it looks like dummy-spitting. And if, in the end, that's what it turns out to be, it sums up many of the things wrong with banding in one neat and sorry little tale.

Even if it isn't and there are, as I say, extenuating circumstances, this War of The Press Releases is an omnishambles...

9. euphoria

euphoria Member

Exactly my thoughts.

It seems to me that what is happening to BIC now, may be the same thing that happened to the Masters, when they invited non-english bands for the first time. What was once a contest of the highest caliber is now pretty much irrelevant (at least in the eyes of the paying public) because some of the English top bands didn't want to compete with the likes of Cory.
    I don't know if they tried sensibly to argue the case for a pure English contest or they just "threw their toys out of the pram" - the result remains the same - one less top class contest.

I hope that BIC doesn't share that fate.

10. tat

tat Member

Depends who's paying for the flights!!?

Accidental likes this.
  11. tallyman

tallyman Member

Well done my good man, you are in fact wrong again. World Of Brass cover all necessary travel costs for ALL bands in an attempt to attract the very best bands.Those travel expenses may vary due to logistic necessity.Would you believe that last year the travel expenses for Brass Band Of Central Florida were more than the travel expenses of Reg Vardy who are local to the contest. By your logic if anyone from Reg Vardy reads this post they will withdraw from the contest with immediate effect.

12. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

That's not actually correct

Accidental likes this.
  13. tallyman

tallyman Member

I think you will find ALL competing bands are paid travel expenses. Would you care to elaborate ??

14. tat

tat Member

So any band can opt for flights rather than a long coach journey and BIC will cover the costs? I think not. What other costs are they covering for these two bands? I trust you will enlighten us as you clearly state that you have all the facts!!

15. fartycat

fartycat Member

I think BiC pay a flat mileage rate for every band. Whilst this is very generous I recall that this only covered part of our transport costs.

Have to say that as a member of a 'lesser' band, we were chuffed to bits to be invited last year to play. BiC treated us like royalty, the whole event was so well organised and it was a genuine pleasure to make the 700 mile round trip!

I look upon recent events with complete bemusement and hope it doesn't damage what is a jewel in our contest crown.

Accidental likes this.
  16. tallyman

tallyman Member

When the dates for the 2015 Brass In Concert were released and before the invites were sent out both Grimey and Cory contacted Brass In Concert and informed them that they would not be able take part as it clashed with a long standing charity concert at the Albert Hall the night before. Brass In Concert not being as green as they are cabbage looking recognised that Grimey and Cory sell tickets, the revenues from which pay for costly overheads such as the hire of the Sage and the travel expenses for the bands, they offered to try and help make participation for the bands logistically possible if not ideal. The upstanding gents (and ladies) of Grimey and Cory decided they would take on the Herculean task of supporting both events even though it would give the other bands a competitive advantage as the other bands would not have to prepare multiple programmes nor have to spend many hours on a coach to London the day before, perform concert at the Albert hall and then travel many hundreds of miles through the night to support Brass In concert.Even in these adverse circumstances I'm sure these two fine bands will be able to successfully support both events without throwing any of their toys out of the pram.

17. tat

tat Member

Can't knock the bands, most bands would love a well paid job and then a free trip to the sage to pick up some more money.

18. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Grimey are not a charity you know, they have jaunts to Australia etc to fund. It is only fair that they get adequate recompence.

19. tallyman

tallyman Member

I thought the concert promoters covered all the costs for the Grimethorpe Australia tour and paid them a healthy five figure sum for their services ??.............no?? That must be why they are so keen to get a "free" trip to the northeast of England, hey tat.

20. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I dont know, if the promoters are paying for them then it begs the question why they they had the hat out at Christmas begging for cash to fund the trip down under.
    Still, the lesser bands have bottled it haven't they.