Brass In Concert - Best Performances

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alibaba, Jun 19, 2008.

1. alibaba

alibaba Member

While ordering tickets for this years Brass In Concert I started thinking what has been the best performance I have seen over the years.

Just wondered what other peoples best memories are from BIC.

I have played or attended every BIC since 1996 and can say without doubt that Grimethorpe in 2001 were just unbeatable.

For me the last couple of years have been pretty dull and even Brighouse havent been stunning in winning.

Grimey's playing and programme in 2001 was superb. Again, for me nothing since by any band come anywhere close.
    If memory serves me correctly they got 60 / 60 for entertainment with the following programme.

Agincourt Song
    Mambo - Caliente
    Annie Laurie
    Another Fine Mess
    Charivari
    Barbarian Horde from Gladiator

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Performances
    tickets
    Concert
    performance
    memories
  3. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I agree! I heard that particular performance from outside the door :)frown: ) and the place was rockin' during Mambo Caliente, and Annie Laurie was sublime.
    Oh and Agincourt Song wasn't bad either...

4. eanto

eanto Member

Never been to BIC:frown: But Tricky Dicky seems to be the man! A good one for the occasion?

5. The Gary Cutt and Grimethorpe mixture always came out with the top goods for me. The bands that play the bigger, better pieces ''which suit a brass band'' come near the top.

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

not sure about whole performances, but billy rushworth with leyland playing finale from strauss 1 was awesome.

7. leisa

leisa Active Member

i disagree. brighouse last year on all night long was awesome!!

Ive only heard the last 3 years performances so cant comment much, but the highlights for me have been the above and alan morisson on somewhere over the rainbow...

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

I agree Grimethorpe's performances generally take some beating (Entry of the Gods into Valhalla, etc), although for sheer laughter value Fairey's "Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy" takes some beating.

A few more that stand out (that I remember, anyway)

First time YBS did "Cry of the Celts"
    Shawn Crowther and Fairey's "Alpine Song" (?) with farmyard accompaniment ("baa" "get orf that tractor", etc)
    Leyland - The Gael - with marine drummers
    BBCF last year.

9. zak

zak Member

Got to agree with you there Simon. The 2001 programme was in my opinion the strongest/best we(Grimey) did in the 5 BIC contests I won with them.

Have to say the Laurel and Hardy piece was/is one of the highlights of my banding career thus far. Me and Mick Dodd had a great time doing that and also for the next 4 years concert after concert!!! Great arrangement by Sandy :tup

Regards

10. alibaba

alibaba Member

What even better than the 'behind closed doors' job we did for the round table in Doncaster with Polypipe? ;)

catch ya later (probably your stag do at this rate!)

11. A slightly biased view perhaps?;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Performances
    tickets
    Concert
    performance
    memories
  13. leisa

leisa Active Member

Not really no...:rolleyes:

As i said im not really qualified to say having missed most of the other years but from what i have heard from the DVD's and when i went to watch myself or not. All Night Long was awesome, it would still have been awesome if my fella wasn't playing im sure, i think its a really good arrangement and was played really well. Cant comment on Grimeys either as i didnt listen to you and havent sat through the whole of the DVDS, have only listened to a few banbds on each.
    But whenever i say brighouse are good people will always throw that at me...seems the adjudicators agreed anyway :p

I heard from a couple of people actually who said they thought it was pretty darn good...Brotherbone?!?!?! (Back me up here pleeeeeeeease!!)

14. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Britannia 1991. 199 out of 200 for music but something like 6th on entertainment, so 3rd overall. I think this was Howard Snell's last BiC appearance for some reason.....

Midwest March
    Tea for Two (Simone Rebello et al)
    Traumerie (Martin Winter)
    Moto Perpetuo (New Snell arr.)
    Devils Galop
    The Way We were (new Snell arr.)
    Entry of the Gods into Valhalla (new Snell arr.)

If I remember correctly!

Definitely the best one I've been involved in / heard at BiC.

15. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Been to a few B in Cs and seen a few humdingers I can tell you, but most memorable pieces were in the 80's at Spennymoor listening to Alan Wycherley playing 'Drink To Me Only' - BEAUTIFUL! The other was at the same comp and Imps played 'Trumpet Blues & Cantabile' - STORMER!:clap:

16. doubleplug

doubleplug New Member

Not quite BIC and I've not been to BIC for quite a number of years now but attended the old Granada Contest at the Spectrum Arena for a few years and no entertainment performance has come close to the Grimethorpe's conductorless program from 1985. Pretty vintage stuff now I know and many bands have tried similar since but this 30 minutes was and remains unbeatable.

17. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

When is the DVD coming out? Hope it isn't too much of a wait like last year...