Brass In Concert 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by alibaba, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alibaba

alibaba Member

Thought I would kick start a thread on this weekends BIC.

4Barsrest mention a few bands are doing open rehearsals this week.

i wonder what new pieces are going to be served up this year.

Pesrsonally I look forward to new film music arrangements.
    Pirates of the Carribean and House of The flying Daggers from Paul Drury last year were cracking pieces.

I have also heard on the rumour mill that Michael Garassi is taking Grimey this year.
    Could be an interesting combination that one......
  2. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I will see you there then matey!

You can buy the beers!
  3. alibaba

alibaba Member

ginger beer for you more like...

See you there mate.
    Try not to part my hair from the stage though as in recent years..;)
  4. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I cant promise anything. :p
  5. Pierre

Pierre Member

Beer on you then Gaz!!:clap:
  6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Don't think it was quite called that was it????

Thanks for the compliments anyway - nothing new from me this year, in fact nothing from me this year!!
  7. alibaba

alibaba Member

Sorry Paul dont follow you??

Where they not the 2 pieces Grimey played last year.

I haven't made a typo error have I?:oops:
  8. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

It was Crouching Tiger............mind you was a whole 12 months ago!
  9. alibaba

alibaba Member

Blo*dy hell so it was!!

New I should have bought the DVD.

Cheers for correcting me Paul.
  10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I only saw 2007 via the DVD, lucky enough to play in 2006, this year we have a 14 strong gang from the Emley going up for the beer Sat night and the contest on Sunday, looking forward to the presentation o some brilliant music, always good to hear new stuff and even old stuff you didn't know exsited! Grear place for idea's. I'm looking forward to Hepworth opening at 9.30 with Sandy Smith at the helm playing lots of his new stuff I hear, should be a cracker of an opening.

Hope to meet some fellow tMP'ers in the bar at some point too!
  11. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've got my ticket, I can't wait, I've never been before!
  12. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I wish I was going but it's a long way away from Sussex!

I know of one band playing who had not finalised their programme last Sunday - they had so much to choose from!
  13. leisa

leisa Active Member

yes, me and sal will no doubt see you at the bar garry! I am driving on sunday but drinking sat night :-D very excited!
  14. HBB

HBB Active Member

Just you wait!!! :)
  15. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

No excuse! It's a long way away from Guernsey! And expensive!
  16. ericthered

ericthered Member

Your 'aving a laugh!

Not to be too picky but Stavanger have been predicted within the top six in the Prediction League for BIC! :eek:

Sorry, from someone who should know, these guys will be lucky to get in the top half. Don't let the band's reputation fool you...those fine players of yester-year are gone and the new band is very green...with old brown crumbly edges (courtesey of the Sop player).
  17. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Someone sounds a touch bitter!!!;)
  18. ericthered

ericthered Member

No not really bitter...shocked. Just because a band is foreign and plays in a few Europeans doesn't mean they are of the same calibre of the likes of Grimethorpe, Brighouse etc.

Remember Eikanger, who I believe are a lot better than SBB (more strength in depth and from the home of Norwegian banding), came 9th last year!! Plus Eikanger have won the majority of SIDDIS championships since its inception so have earned their reputation as the best entertainment band in Norway. Eikanger also have the likes of Howard Snell and Reid Gilje conducting and arranging for them and believe me that's a great combination.

I wish SBB all the best but they, and others, need to be realistic. They are up against some of the best if not THE BEST entertainment bands in the world.
  19. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Maybe we all remember Stavanger's entertainement credentials, didn't they once do a whole set without music? As we don't see the details of their band change as we do here with B&R, Grimey, Fairies etc so aren't to know how they stand player wise. Also I think this years BiC is the toughest i've ever seen, so many top bands, all it really needs now is Dyke to throw their hats in the arena and we have an amazing day contesting. I really quite excited :)
  20. ericthered

ericthered Member

Stavanger have regularly done 20-30 minute programmes (with choreography) from memory but haven't done so for a year or two. Mainly due to the fact it became "expected" and therefore lost its impact. The amount of work to actually do that is also beyond most bands (not ability wise but can you imagine everyone in your band putting that amount of work in?).

Personally I would prefer BIC to drop the foreign bands and invite another top British band to the contest.

Maybe the EBBA could introduce a European Entertainment contest? We have BIC in the UK, SIDDIS in Norway and I'm sure other countries have entertainment contests.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.