Brass in Concert 08 -Gateshead

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Thegroupies, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Thegroupies

Thegroupies Member

Can anyone confirm the correct date and times of the Brass in concert contest??? The Bandsman and The concert web site state the concert in on 15th Nov and contest is 16th. However, I have ben told by several people that this wrong.

The contest in on the Sat and concert on Sun

Anyone in the know please let me know.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The dates you have match with the ibew events page and the ticket information on the worldofbrass home page.

The Brass in Concert website is not very helpful, with rather mixed info referring to 2006, 2007 & this year!
  3. Thegroupies

Thegroupies Member

I agree ! - Travelling from South Wales we need to make sure we get back for work Monday morning, so if the contest is on the Sunday, looks as if we may have to give it a miss this year.

Any organisers reading, please note!!
  4. marc71178

marc71178 Member

AFAIK the contest has always been on the Sunday.

The concert on the Saturday night is only a very recent addition to the weekend.

Thinking about it logically, there'd be no reason to have the contest on the Saturday then a concert on the Sunday evening - not many people would stay around all day Sunday for it.
  5. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

The contest is definately on Sunday 16th November and the concerts, workshops etc the day before.
  6. Thegroupies

Thegroupies Member

Thanks for the info' everyone. Anyone confirm some times for start of contest? ( won't bother to ask finnish time - this is brass banding)

Just as a point of interest, Gala concert in B/Ham is always on the Sunday afternoon(usually sold out or 90% full) - contest Sat' - Those of us who have to get to work Monday morning, don't miss out on the zzzzzz and a days pay. Just some food for thought, Gateshead is a fantastic venue, but a decent drive for many. Flying (which is the cheepest and quickest for 2 from S. Wales) we would have to leave at 4.30 to catch flight home. or face a 6 1/2 hour drive when the contest finnishes.

We'll probably go anyway, hardy bunch us 'Groupies' !!! Cheers all
  7. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Contest usually starts at 10am
  8. critic

critic Member

Hepworth,Fodens andStavanger or the first three bands on should be a good days music making
  9. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

What are the workshops? Never been before and having to travel a long way means we get into Newcastle between 1-2pm

Are there any trade stands? I know SPS/World of Brass had a stand last year but was it just them?

Also, probably one for people who have been but where would the best place to sit be?