Brass in Bloom Contest - 10/7/2005

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tubafran, Jun 30, 2005.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The 2nd annual NEMBBA entertainment contest is on Sunday 10 July 2005 at the Dukeries Garden Centre, Welbeck Abbey Grounds, Welbeck, Worksop, Nottinghamshire S80 3LT. Open to 2nd, 3rd & 4th Section Bands. 25 minute concert including solo item.

Does anyone know what time it starts and is your band going?

We have a job at Nottingham Castle in the afternoon so were thinking of calling on the way down if it starts early.
  2. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

we will be going, God willing;)
  3. postie

postie Member

I believe the contest will start 12 midday. Bestwood are competing at this one.
  4. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'm pretty certain it starts at 11am. Will let you know otherwise.
  5. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

Carlton Brass will be there.
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

That's the time the Garden Centre opens and I think bands were playing last year as the coaches full of the blue rinshed hair brigade turned up. Also recall that when it started to persist down we headed for the pub for lunch at about 12.30 and had heard 3 or 4 bands by then - so unless anyone else can confirm the start I'm going with 11.00amish.
  7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I might pop along to this one too :tup
  8. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Checked with one of the organisers this morning, and Band Number 1 should be starting at 11am.
  9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

results from today!

1. Carlton Brass - 188 points
    2. Bestwood Welfare Black Diamonds 186 points *Yeah!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:*
    3. Long Eaton 185 points
    4. Whitwell

Best 3rd Section (not in prizes) - Whitwell
    Best 4th Section (not in prizes) - Kirkby
    Best Soloist - Thurcroft Welfare

Well done to all of the bands that played today - I was certainly glad I was sitting in the shade watching with a t-shirt on!

BUT a big congrats to Bestwood on the 2nd place - it is fantastic to see the band thriving again after difficult times! (even if they do have to put up with my sister!)
  10. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

A very hot day it was too, congrats to bestwood and Long Eaton.
  11. Brian

Brian Member

Brass in Bloom Contest

Congratulations Tony at Carlton, Sharon at Long Eaton and Ken at Whitwell.
    I was pleased too (and nearly satisfied) well can't be all good ,,,, Can it?
  12. satchmo shaz

yeah it was a good day, we are really happy especially as we played without our wonderful solo horn player Elma who is poorly at the moment, but our Lisa did a good job!!

well done Carlton and Bestwood:clap:
    nice to see bestwood up there:biggrin:

many congrats Brian!!
  13. rutty

rutty Active Member

Oh my poor burned face!

Congrats to Bestwood - sounded like a completely different band to last year - thought they were excellent. Also thought Long Eaton sounded rather good too, plus there were some good performances all round. :)
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Question received from Keith Lever:
    Can anyone help him out please.
  15. satchmo shaz

Hi we played

Imperial march
    Be my Love
    Miller Magic
    Pokareare Ana and Rev Archie Beaton
  16. rutty

rutty Active Member

We (Carlton Brass) played:

Earle of Oxford's Marche (from Music from an Elizabethan Court) - Howarth
    Galop - Fernie
    Tender Loving Care - Fernie. Sop solo
    Singing in the Raine - Fernie
    Prelude to a Solemn Occasion - Fernie
    Dance of the Tumblers - Ashmore
  17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Does anyone know who was recording the contest? - was it a TV company and if so when would it be aired?

Only managed to listen to the first two bands (Dinnington and Newstead Youth) as I had to get of to Nottingham Castle to play in the bandstand.

Also where did Thurcroft come in the overall positions?
  18. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Whitwell played:
    • Nibelungen March (themes from Die Ring des Nibelungen - Wagner)
    • Southern Cross - baritone solo (soloist Kieren Williams)
    • Classical Gold (Classical themes arranged by Darrol Barry)
    • Air From The Suite in D - Bach (The Hamlet music for those who think Lone Ranger rather than William Tell ;) )
    • Farandole from Bizet's Arlesienne Suite
    Whitwell came 4th and took the prize for being the highest placed 3rd Section band not in the main prizes. We were pleased with our performance and many thanks to Ken Vernon for all the hard work he has put in.

I jotted down most of the other programmes, but will give the relevant band members a chance to post their information first. However, in response to the extremely wet weather at last year's contest, we were treated to three renditions of 'Singing in the Rain' :p

The guys recording the contest were hired by the parent company who run the Garden Centre. Not sure what it was in aid of (not TV though), but I'll try and get a more definitive answer tonight.

I don't know Thurcroft's final place, but David Hollin won the best soloist prize for his Blaydon Races.
  19. postie

postie Member

Yeah it was a company called HH Films they had been hired by the owners of the Dukeries Garden Centre to do a highlights package on DVD of the contest. In time it will be on sale to the general public.

By the way I hope your concert went well at Nottingham Castle Yesterday Tubafran.
  20. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

OK once we got started - there was some kind of "incident" around the Forest area and some roads into Nottingham were closed by the police - are conductor and a few other players were delayed - but we eventually got started 15 minutes late but still managed 2 one hour spots.

The bandstand is a great location and we managed to get all our vehicles inside the Castle grounds.