Brass Festival Programme Error

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Darth_Tuba, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Not really a point to this thread other than I'm a bit miffed at the programme at the brass festival announcing Dyke as having won the 2005 Nationals. I'm sure most people know this to be incorrect... but then surely that's all the more reason to get it right.
  2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Its very bad on there behalf to be honest :mad:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2006
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Oh my, just read the 4BR writeup on it.... :eek: !!!!

How and why mistakes like *that* can be made I'll never know....
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

It also says the test piece was Eden and the venue was the RAH... no mix up with the European or Open. Just a very strange error. I'd hope it was an error...
  5. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

This is appalling! :eek:

To make a mistake such as this, especially with an event as big as the winners of the National Finals is a disgrace.

The organisers should send out an immediate press release correcting this mis-information, and if I was from Leyland Band I would write to the organisers demanding they correct it immediately. To have this great achievement 'swiped from under their feet', must be so upsetting for the band.

Well done, at least, to 4barsrest for pointing this out. May all the rest follow suit.

What an embarrassment for the organisers. :redface:
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

And also for Black Dyke: it's most awkward if you're credited with something that you didn't achieve.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It would apear that the one weak link at this festival is the research/proofreading of programme notes. At the BAYV concert yesterday Petroc Trelawney described the Hummel piece performed by David Childs as being arranged by "his brother, Robert". If he had got the conductor, the soloist, Paul Hindmarsh or anyone in the audience to check his notes first he wouldn't have made such an elementary mistake.

However that didn't really detract from an ASTONISHING performance of Gaia, just a shame there wasn't a full house to hear it.

(sorry, went a bit off topic):oops:
  8. jonford

jonford Member

A very bad error. You would think these programmes were proof read by more than one person. Going to watch some of it today so will be interesting to see what is said.

I wanted to see Gaia but with tickets costing as much as a CD even with the student discount I decided not too!
  9. annmck

annmck Member

I hope whoever is responsible will apologise to Leyland Band !
  10. timbo100

timbo100 New Member

I know I'm old.

Please tell me I didn't dream it all!
  11. Steve

Steve Active Member

Go polish that trophy Chris and let this editorial blunder pass you by.
  12. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Good idea, shame we don't have it any more though.
  13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yeah just saw that. Guess we'll be seeing an official errata for the programme any time now then? ;)
  15. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

There's now an official apology for the error, so all's well and good :)
  16. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Have to say though Chris, although therer's an apology on 4BR now, having attended everything over the weekend, not once was a verbal apology or even a mention of the error by any of the organisers, and Paul Hindmarsh did a long speech during Dyke's concert where there was ample opportunity to do so! Bit suprised really! :confused:
  17. Pete Meechan

Pete Meechan Member

I can't actually believe that there is more people discussing a couple of errors in the programme than there is the music and the festival in general.

Why, even after a magnificent festival, full of great music, great people, and interesting discussion, do we insist on looking at the negative(s) - a slip up in the programme.

Incidently, has anyone read the programme? Because if you have, then you will realise that it was increadibly well presented, and full of really usefull, informative and well-researched material - ranging from notes about pieces, to composers, conductors and soloists biographies.

However, I'm sure it is asking too much for us to look at the positives, is it?
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

19. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Hurrah for Mr Meechan! Although, unlike you, I can believe that more people are discussing the printing error than the music - but that's possibly because I'm older and more cynical than you!

And yes, I did enjoy your Snake Eyes. I could just see the fakir charming the snake out of the basket in the opening woodwind solo - or at least, I hope that's the image I was supposed to be seeing?? I'll look a fool if you say otherwise!
  20. Pete Meechan

Pete Meechan Member

Sure. At the time you posted, there were more people posting about the programme error than the positives of the festival.

Also, it was posed as a question, or even a challenge, rather than a statement.

Maybe that is my point prooved.