Brass Bands Vs Football Clubs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Thirteen Ball, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

How many times have we all explained the ranking tables for our sections in terms of the football league? I've lost count myself. And that set me thinking. Has anyone noticed how certain bands seem to bear an uncanny resemblance to certain football clubs? Allow me to illustrate with "The big four."

YBS – Manchester United
    Usually better in Europe than domestically, recently had sponsorship issues, leader likes things very definitely his way, which is often very different to how others envisage it, but cetainly does the business.

Black Dyke – Liverpool
    Glory years of all-conquering dominance now behind them, still a force to be reckoned with. Very strong at the back.

Brighouse & Rastrick – Chelsea
    Financially affluent, mainly due to one eccentric man but also large media exposure. Rather traditional sometimes. Performances always end the same way.

Grimethorpe Colliery – Arsenal
    Top class showboaters who are always popular with an audience, with strong seam of quality throughout the team. Always well turned-out, but successful European forays a rarity.

Anyone any others? Give me a bit of time and I might think of one for my lot as well!

PS: Please let's all use this as a bit of fun and not sideswipe at enyone else's bands. If in doubt, stick to your own band! ;)
  2. Steve

Steve Active Member

tMp band - Wimbledon of the 80's / 90's

A bunch of randoms stuck together on the cheap and not in the best of shape. Entertaining and a good sense of unity but in no real danger of winning much. Have fun doing it though
  3. timbloke

timbloke Member

I like to think of Stannington a bit like our second nearest Championship team - Sheffield United. Solid in the first section and slowly improving, possibility of going up with more good results, but realistically wouldn't survive in the top flight for long (at the moment).

However, as the majority of players are Owls I might get lynched for mentioning the other team, so maybe we're more like Wednesday just a few years ahead - a good result in the second section, rocky start to the first section with plenty of management changes, the potential to do really well, but an underlying fear that it could all go horribly pearshaped - very soon.
  4. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Hi ho! Who's this eccentric old man thats in charge of my band? If I was paid in the Chelsea manner then I would indeed be celebrating Xmas in style. Since the band has no major financial backer I would say that Chelsea is a bit harsh a description of the mighty purple and gold!?? I would think that B+R would be more of a Spurs, well organised, has a budget, has a few stars, play with flair but apt to a few errors now and again. ;-)
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- erm, I'm glad this is just tongue-in-cheek as a few might disagree with that one ;) .
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Brass Band of Columbus - DC United. Used to win in the U.S. every year, hasn't added much silver recently, but is still a decent club. Has some players good enough to play internationally at the top level (Even sent some over to England on loan ;) ) But still not good enough to compete in UEFA Champions League (err European Championships).
  7. Thirteen Ball

That was actually a reference to our dear friend and Colleague Mr Broadbent..... :oops:
  8. Thirteen Ball

Disagree away! That's what a forum's for innit? ;) Would you be disagreeing on behalf of Liverpool or Dyke?

I think Co-op are a bit like Bolton Wanderers were 8-9 years ago. One season up, one season down, one season up... and so on. Workmanlike, determined, the potential is there, it's just bringing it all together at the right time that's the trick....
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- both are current European Champions, have had great recent runs of success and have demonstrated that they are presently equal to the best (... would be my comparison ;) )
  10. Thirteen Ball

Certainly true, however given the Liverpool side of my youth who had league championships in the bag before christmas and used to demolish teams week in week out, and the 'Everyone else VS Dyke' band who were nigh on undefeatable under any circumstances both have some pretty big former glories to try to live up to. Not that I'm saying either is incapable of it with the team they have in place now though as they both obviously are. ;)

Pretty good comparison from either point of view though!
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- now if we can only think of a team to compare with Leyland ???? ... recent benefactor, restructuring, change of leadership and players, positive results .... maybe the Scottish team Heart Of Midlothian ??? :confused:
  12. Thirteen Ball

I shall bow to your expertise there, knowing little about scottish football.

Sounds a little bit like Blackburn Rovers under Dalglish when Jack walker took over too!
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Brass Band rankings tables = Sunderland

i.e. Relatively pointless. :)
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- true enough ... but nowadays we would have to look for an English band that has had recent additions of Welsh players to match Blackburn.
  15. Thirteen Ball

....and largely ignored! :lol:

Anyone guessed I'm a magpie? :oops:

Souness out!!
  16. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Class Steve... class!!!:clap:
  17. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Hmmm as a Wimbledon fan I'd definately disagree.

My description would be of a bunch of hard-working terrier like misfits with great team spirit who battled against all odds to upset the establishment and to suceed where other similar outfits could only dream.

Followed by a buy out by greedy Norwegians and then sent to Milton Keynes.

tMp as the Crazy gang?? Maybe ;)
  18. Thirteen Ball

How about Sellers as Glasgow Rangers? Head and shoulders better than most in their area but never quite had the firepower to encroach upon the really big names, although still closer than most of us. Led by an enigmatic scot with a quick wit and a fiery temprament! ;)
  19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Emley Brass Band
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle - Spent years out in the cold winning nothing and getting beaten week in-week out, and more recently made a bit of a reputation by springing a few surprising results. Climbing slowly but steadily without anyone really noticing. :rolleyes:
  20. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Hatfield Brass Band

Wigan - successful promotions over the years. Let's hope Hatfiled do as well as Wigan are currently doing in the premiership or possibly (not to jinx anything):

Sunderland - up/down/up/down - you get the picture! :wink: