Brass Bands on Internet Radio

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Anthony (Scooby) Longden, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Would you like to hear your band on internet radio?

Would you like other people being able to hear your band on internet radio?

Have you noticed that the only Brass Band related radio programme left is Frank Renton's "Listen to the Band" on Friday evenings on Radio 2. Well as from June, there will be another......

"Brass on the Grass" is produced by a small radio station from Bollington, Cheshire and called Canalside Community Radio. The programme is going to be broadcast fortnightly on a sunday afternoon/evening (time to be confirmed) and presented by myself.

As this will initially be an internet broadcast, (which will eventually be going live on an FM frequency, hopefully by autumn), the potential audience will not only by local and national but definitely international.

This programme will feature contest news, concert dates and primarily music and chat about local and national brass bands.

Therefore, I am looking for bands who would like to be featured on this show. If you would like your band to be involved, then please get intouch with me via here or via my personal email (anthony.longden@tiscali.co.uk).

For more information on Canalside Community Radio, take a look at their website at www.ccr-fm.co.uk

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for what they would like to hear on this new programme, i am all ears! lol!

Lets keep brass band music alive, via the internet and via the airwaves.

2. I'd love to hear more Brass Band music on the radio in my area! I also wish the radio stations would be more willing to come out and record something FOR the radio, rather than us having to make a CD! Would CCD do that in their area?

3. We do have the ability to go and record bands in our local area and maybe even travel a short distance too. This could be an option for thoe bands who would like to be involved in this programme, but who have not yet recorded a CD.

4. I'm sure you'll find many many bands in your local area who would love to have their music recorded for the radio.

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's all down to a question of budgets, and as I've said in several other threads, the demographics of most radio stations put brass bands firmly in the minority interest category - no money, no recordings.

6. That's not true here is Swindon. They've done it a few times before, they seem very good at it too. Great Western Railway FM, and our youth band is called Great Western Youth Band. You'd have thought they would like the link...

7. KMJ Recordings

I'm refering to real radio exposure here - either syndicated or National. Formal recording sessions as done by the BBC or subcontracted - there's recording and there's, er, recording. We've lost virtually all the exposure the movement had, and that which remains (with the exception of Paul Hindmarsh's involvement in the BBC Festival of Brass from the RNCM) has been distinctly dumbed down.

There's no budget and - in the eyes of those questioned by the stations for market coverage - very little audience for it....so that isn't going to happen anymore.

8. KMJ Recordings

Incidentally, Anthony I hope it all goes well for you. This is the kind of initiative that will kep banding on the airwaves :clap:

9. we have already had a sucsessful 4 week run of this type of show, during December 2005, so hopefully with the internet broadcast and then the full time licence we will keep brass band music alive and kicking in the 21st century on the airwaves.

KMJ i see your in Cheshire, maybe we could work together on a project to link with the show. What do you think?

10. KMJ Recordings

We could probably think of something ;)

Mind, I've been speaking to Bob Goodwin recently anyway (assuming you're still at Silk Brass), although whether anything will come of that we'll have to wait and see.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anthony.longden@tiscali.co.uk
    Brass Band
    Canalside Community Radio
    Internet Radio
    Brass Band related radio programme left
  12. Yes i am still with Silk Brass, and we are looing at recording another CD.

I was more thinking about a project for the radio show.

13. KMJ Recordings

What have you got in mind?

14. There i am open to suggestions.

15. KMJ Recordings

I guess the best thing to do is open it to the floor and see how local bands would like to participate/

16. Well hopefully, via here, i will get a number of bands that are willing to participate, then things could certainly flourish

17. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Brass band radio

I have been runnning a brass band internet radio station as a hobby for over 6 years visit www.brassbandradio.co.uk

Obviously this is only a hobby but I have listeners from all over the world and it is on 24 hours a day

I wellcome comments

18. KMJ Recordings

How do you recoup the licence costs Chris? Is it advert driven? Or are you like Jim Fox and just pay for it out of passion for Banding?

19. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

I fund this personaly, and it is not intended as a profit thing, but maybe I could turn it more professional and charge for things, but I am quite happy with the way it is at the moment, so are my listeners.

Chris

20. KMJ Recordings

Not knocking what you're doing - I've listened in before - I just know how expensive it can be!

21. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

I know you were not knocking!!!! glad you tuned in.

You know us Brass Band frieks spend a lot!!! for others.

Cheers

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anthony.longden@tiscali.co.uk
    Brass Band
    Canalside Community Radio
    Internet Radio
    Brass Band related radio programme left