Brass Bands most beautiful pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Borfeo, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Was thinking about this while looking out possibilities for upcoming concerts, what are, in your opinion the most gorgeous pieces in the brass band reportoire? Can be original, arrangement, or transcript, i won't discriminate

I would say my fave is Elegy from the Downland Suite, always sends a chill up my spine.
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

A lot of great 2nd movements! ;

Malcolm Arnold's Little Suite No 1
    Royal Parks
    Langford's Sinfonietta

(doesn't have to be difficult to be good!)

Plus the Elegy that will be on most people's lists!
  3. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

An Irish tune from County Derry

Always brings a tear to my eye and hearing Grimey perform it live down here a few years ago was breathtaking. The most emotive and musical brass band I have ever heard.
  4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Hearing David Childs play the Benidictus movement from "The Armed Man" did it for me yesterday at the Gala concert :cry:
  5. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Definitely agree with the 2nd movement of Royal Parks. There's so much raw emotion to be wrung out of that movement, absolutely superb.

IYOUNG Member

Yep never heard that before absolutely beautiful
  7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Second Movement of Lowry Sketchbook... :D
  8. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Called Family Portraits...
  9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Evening Hymn - George Lloyd 15 mins of magic music for brass. only recording I think Music for Brass - George Lloyd , Black Dyke -David King 1991 Albany Records .
  10. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

What about the Elegy from 'Entertainments' by Gilbert Vinter?
  11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Recent bit of writing for band 'Hymn for Diana' by Joseph Turrin. The recordings of YBS doing it are stunning.

As for the classics:

Middle movement of Moorside Suite is great. I will second Sandmans shout for 'Family Potraits' from Lowry Sketchbook. What about the whole of 'Festival Music' by Eric Ball........must be some of the most elegent music written for band...also Kensington Concerto by the same composer.
  12. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Just as I Am - Wilfred Heaton.
  13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

The Lento from Horowitz's euphonium concerto!
  14. persins

persins Member

Goff Richard's (Hugh Nash) Demelza would be up there for me and For the love of a Princess arranged from the film Braveheart.

The old classics are still there though, as mentioned above.
  15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Defo go with 2nd movements of Downland Suite, Entertainments, and Royal Parks.

How about:

Gaelic Blessing
    Share My Yoke
    Serenade for Toni
  16. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Like somebody already mentioned, 'elegy' from entertainments, and 'hymn for diana' are lovely. My all time favourite piece though, would have to be Gabriel's Oboe, played by David Childs on 'metamorphosis'. Shivers down the spine every time :tup And 'be my love', Morgan Griffiths. Not that I'm biased towards euph players or anything...'Vesti La Giubba I Pagliacci' on sop.
  17. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Ooooh and 'Irish Blessing', especially on the Wingates CD, 'Milestones' I think :cool:
  18. NeilW

NeilW Member

I'll second that (I've not heard the recording) we recorded it a few weeks ago and I've been singing it ever since!

Anyone else like another oldie: Prince Igor (the overture) - I haven't heard it or played it for years, but remember it was "magic".

Another one was an Eric Ball arrangement of Easter Hymn from Cavelera Rusicana which I don't believe was ever published - we had it as manuscript (originals!)

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The 2nd Movement from Saulte To Youth by Gilbert Vinter

The recording by Black Dyke with Major Peter Parkes just sends shivers across your body the build up towards the last few bars of that movement the playing by the band is just PURE MAGIC. When the last chord is played you want it to last for ever its BRILLIANT:tup :clap:
  20. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Would agree with Share My Yoke, absolutley beautiful!!!! And benedictus by David Childs, incidentally, any recordings of him playing that? Thanks...