Brass Bands In West Sussex/Hampshire

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet_player, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

I was wondering how many brass bands there are around in the West Sussex/ Hampshire area. Ive done some research but havent found any..Im sure that there must be some :? :?

Many Thanks in anticipation of your help.

:D :D :lol:
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The quick answer is, lots! Its worth looking at the SCABA and L&SC websites for lists of member bands.
    Are you looking because you're moving down here?
  3. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

Excellent Thanks!! :lol: :lol:

Im considering going to University in the area but the number of brass bands that I could join will be a major factor as to where I go!! Can you recommend any?? :lol:
  4. Accidental

PM me with an idea of the area and standard you're looking for - 1. its a big area, and 2. I don't want to offend anyone!!!! :lol:
  5. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Chichester are in the market for a good front row player - we're right on the Sussex/Hants border!
  6. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

That could be useful it Chichester University College that Im looking at as well as Southampton Uni...When does Chichester practise do you know??....

Mind you it will be September 2005 before I start so the position will have gone I guess :cry:
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Are Horsham Band in Sussex? 2nd section I think... not a bad band...

8. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Well there's us (Cosham Concert - Portsmouth), Solent - Portsmouth, us, Chichester, us, Ocean Brass - Southampton, us, SWT Woodfalls & Woodfalls Concert - Salisbury/Southampton, us, loads of others, ooh yes... and US :lol: !!

Seriously, there's plenty of bands in the area, covering all standards and I reckon we'd all be glad of another cornet player. Accidental's advise about L&SC and SCABA is good, but you should check out the Wessex association site too as most Hampshire bands are in the West of England area. There's also the excellent IBEW whick has a list by county of UK brass bands (at least the ones with websites).

Good luck!!
  9. Accidental

They are, and they'd welcome a good cornet, but way too far to travel from Chi or Southampton :cry:
  10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

We rehearse on Tuesdays and Thursday nights (although at the moment it's just about every day!!).

Don't worry about the timing - just come along - we have couple of other players who are also at UCC.
  11. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

what, you've exhausted the last one we sent you already? :wink:
  12. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

:lol: I don't think there's much chance of that.

Myself and Jo are looking forward to Germany in August!
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

I'm working in Portsmouth next week (10-13th May) and would love to be able to have a blow somewhere to keep my lip in for a concert we've got in a couple of weeks as i seem to have missed a few rehearsals through work and bank holidays. I can play any tromb part well, or will blow on second bari although can't promise how many right notes i could get.

PM me if you'd welcome me into your rehearsal.