Brass Bands in the classroom

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet_player, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

Hey guys,

I need some help and I thought this was the best place to ask!

I am teaching 'british music' to 11, 12 and 13 year olds and we will be looking at Brassed Off and such like but I need to some fun practical MUSICAL activities with them and I dont have access to brass instruments- Keyboards and percussion plus anything I can make.......any ideas will be gratefully recieved???

Thanks

xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    place
    help
    music
    Keyboards
    instruments
  3. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

Get 'em marching

4. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Acapella march singing? Accompanied by marching? (and the odd sprained ankle) Me and my friends often do this on the way home from the pub- we think it's hilarious. Oh how sad are we?:oops:;)
    No seriously- acapella singing of "parts" - relate it to how brass bands are structured and orchestrated etc.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  5. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

^^ I like the marching singing idea (the rest of the school wont but nevermind) so long as I dont have to complete a risk assessment!

6. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Becareful with showing them "Brassed off" - lots of swearing in it. More than you seem remember when you have kids in front of you! I think it is a 15 anyway - eventhen it's a bit dodgy in the classroom.

7. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

yeah i'm going to show them extracts of the band playing rather than the whole film. I dont have time for them to watch the whole film anyway but it also gets around them being underage!

8. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Maybe they could do a bit of conducting? Maybe teach them 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4...and then listening to different types of music they need to work out how it needs to be conducted?

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Mouthpiece, hose and funnel. That's basically a brass instrument.

10. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Get the kids to make thier own - they can tune them to a keyboard - if you are creative they can play along to something. Can you borrow some old instruments from your band to show them - give them a demo?

Sections of Brassed off would be good - paritcularly the contest performances, although they may just enjoy to listen to some pieces. My class of little kids in Handsworth love their modern testpieces - or at least that is what they tell me! Extreme Makeover came out on top.

Good luck with it - sounds a fun project.