Brass Bands BBC1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Mar 20, 2008.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- on now ... about brass bands making a comeback!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Regional
    Brass Bands BBC1
    UK
    North West Regionals
    plus bands
  3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Be patient, folks, it's supposed to be one of the items in "The ONE Show" 7pm

4. Well done brassneck, beat me to it.

Just checked BBC iplayer webpages. They do put The One Show on there for anyone who misses it. Seems to take a couple of days for it to appear though.

I hope they don't just show a village band playing the Floral Dance!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's certainly going to be interesting how bands are going to be portrayed to the masses on this popular programme.

6. Hmmmmmm........ That just about says it all for me

Amy Winehouse!!!!!!

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and not a lot at that ... :eek: ... really short exposure!

8. I can't believe I just recorded over last night's Torchwood either :-?

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Well, at least Hebden Bridge Juniors got some airplay ... didn't they get some coverage on a Lesley Garrett feature a while back?

10. The Wherryman

It was almost as if the Beeb wants to bring the "revival" to a shuddering halt...I can't see mums and dads rushing out to enroll their kids in youth bands on this showing.

11. Well I can see mums saying, "Go and do your practise Johny and one day you could play with Amy Winehouse".

Hmm.... ok, maybe not

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Regional
    Brass Bands BBC1
    UK
    North West Regionals
    plus bands
  13. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

Did i hear the floral dance behind the weather report, yawn.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- even with the chat afterwards, "My dad used to take me to the park to listen to the band & I hated it!" ... not exactly what I wanted to hear!

15. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Any publicity is good publicity - they showed young people enjoying band,
    plus they played something modern (Wallace and Gromit?). OK, so it was short,
    but at least it didn't mention our Tel and the Floral Dance !

Ooops - I spoke to soon; that darn weather report ;-) !

Andy

16. millie6589

millie6589 Member

i don't really consider the wallace and gromit theme tune to be a particularly 'out-there' piece like they were making it out to be....! they were talking about it as if there was a new brass band arrangement of smack my bitch up or something. although im sure by them slipping in the word 'dude' or whatever he said will have all the kids flocking to band practise now...

17. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

But there is a brass band arrangement of "Thugs Mansion" by Tupac Shakur;)
    It well impressed the ten year olds in my class at school.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  18. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

It;s surely better that we saw the kids ineterviewed sayign they enjoy going to band, they played something (Wallace and Gromit) that other kids watching will maybe have recognised. Yes it wasn't perfect at Floral Dance sneeked in there AGAIN! But it was a hell of a lot better than nothing!

19. The Wherryman

But a golden opportunity missed!

20. My point exactly. It's about time brass banding got the recognition it deserves. Am I the only person who from time to time receives a comical look when telling people I play in a brass band. Brassed Off (ignoring the inaccuracies of its contesting structure) did a reasonably good job. Do we have any budding new amateur film makers out there who want to show it's not all about animating the toe-tapping feet of the elderly around the local park's bandstand?

21. millie6589

millie6589 Member

No, you're not the only one...! When i was at school, quite a lot of the other kids thought it was comical, and i used to get the Ground Force theme sung to me quite often. obviously i was in stitches. there were a few who were intrigued by it, especially as i played in all the school jazz bands too, but would never have considered coming to find out what it's actually like! now though, my friends are usually really impressed when the hear us playing but i defenately think that to most kids it is considered as 'old peoples' entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  22. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

At school! I worked for a sales company several years ago, i was about 28/9 at the time and one of the guys there (aged around 50+) used to still think it funny to sing Floral Dance at me!!!