Brass Bands and MP3 recordings

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Nov 25, 2005.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

So Christmas is coming, and we are being bombarded with adverts for MP3 recorders/players.

But does anyone know of any sources of brass band MP3 tracks - not iPod broadcasts, but individual tracks that you can select, pay for, and then download?

If there isn't one, perhaps an enterprising tMPer can set one up - and make a fortune?

alanl58

2. This idea was suggested on the black dyke website about buing individual tracks , it's certainly a good idea. But I'm not sure how many would do it.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I seem to remember reading somewhere - possibly on here - that World of Brass are looking into the possibilities of setting up something along these lines, but I don't know how advanced their plans are.

4. ari01

ari01 Active Member

not sure on the legality but surely it must be possible to set up some kind of file sharing system through this or a.n. other website? Certainly other music formats do.

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think that's totally illegal! (Almost definately sure!)l

6. Steve

Steve Active Member

7. alanl58

alanl58 Member

No! definitely not p2p or file sharing, what I would like is a "Midland CD" web site that allows you to legally download MP3 files.

Perhaps I should set one up myself.......

alanl58

8. Steve

Steve Active Member

sorry, typo. was meant to say yup (in reply to Ben)

9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There are a few things to take note of here.

1) I'd much prefer that we look for an increase in sound quality of Brass Band releases and not a decrease. As we all know, MP3s are compressed and are, as such, compromised.

2) There's potentially a huge implication on the future of how brass music is delivered. As has been discussed on the CD Prices thread, this is a (relatively) limited market and, depending on the material recorded, not all of the CDs that are pressed are sold. People start downloading tracks, there's no need for the small number of CDs to be made.....take this to the extreme and what it means is that bought brass band CDs will practically cease to exist. In my opinion, this is not a good thing - once they've gone, they'll never come back.

3) The costs of setting up a venture are, to say the least, rather large. Licence implications, paying for the use of copyrighted material, server space and administration etc etc, and then taking in to account the limited market means that profit margins would likely be small, and maybe even smaller than those from the CDs. This could mean a significant rise in the cost per track.

4) What happens to recordings from lesser known labels?

Food for thought....

10. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Like this you mean?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=KMJ Recordings
    MP3 recordings
    mp3 files
    KMJ Recordings
    general information
  12. KMJ Recordings

Interesting - thanks for that. I hadn't seen it before.

When was the last time you saw Chandos sink any money into the movement? AFAIK they're not recording bands anymore (but am quite ready and willing to be shot down if they are! It'd be nice if they were!).

This could be viewed by a cynic to be looking to exploit money out of a back catalogue...I wonder how if the Bands recorded by them earn anything out of this?

That said, I've given 3 copies of Around the World with Besses away to various people and this looks like an ideal opportunity to get another (discontinued) one - albeit WMA ;)

Again, all food for thought

EDIT:

Since I wrote these posts I've been reconsidering. The first thing I'd like to do is back off a little with my cynicism. At the very least the Chandos site means that these recordings will continue to be freely available even though the physical medium is no longer produced (although I still stand by my question wrt whether the recording Bands get anything out of it - I guess it depends on the original contract).

I also think that this could be an ideal way of distributing some of the 'smaller scale' recordings made on labels that don't have secured international distribution - although I'd have to sit down and do the numbers to see if it was financially viable for all concerned. I still feel the need for CD production - what else would you sell at concerts for spur of the moment sales?

If World of Brass is out there, it'd certainly be interesting to hear your opinion.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It's not illegal if the publishers agree to it. Hence iTunes and other such pay-for-download services for "popular" music.

The big advantage for both publishers and consumers is that in most cases you're selling by the track and not the whole CD. There are some people who won't spend the money to buy an entire physical CD to get one track, but would pay to get just the one track that they want. In theory, this means that the total number of tracks purchased could easily outweigh the offset in physical CD sales.

You also have the advantage of being able to sell to a much wider audience without having to make CDs, design and print the liners (which can be as expensive as producing the CD itself), store the CDs, lug them around to your gigs, keep track of the inventory, go through the hassle of shipping them when someone not in your area wants to buy one, etc.

I predict that within 10 years the vast majority of recorded music will be delivered via download rather than physical disc.

14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I know that my band (Westoe) are currently in discussions with an agent regarding the release of our CD 'Beyond the Colliery' on iTunes. If successful would this be a first in the banding movement??

15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

A quick search on iTunes (the US version, not sure if they have the same listings in all countries) reveals a couple of Grimethorpe recordings - The Very Best of Grimethorpe Colliery (OK Coal) Band and Classic Brass.

So there's at least a tiny bit of a brass band presence, but the more the better!

Good luck to Westoe with their recording project.

16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

It's a good idea but we need to think about the audience here. We sell copies of our CD at gigs we do, but we do get requests from people for tape versions!

Why? Because a large proportion of our audience belongs to the '"upper-age" group' ... despite numerous exceptions :lol:

So despite decent sales of our CD, how many people would actually use an iTunes service when they might not actually have the Internet?

Certainly as a future idea a very good one but maybe not right away ...

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Another drawback, at least so far as more serious music is concerned, is the lack of any information on the music when downloading: no programme notes, list of performers etc - probably not a problem with a three minute track, but a different matter with a 20 minute work, or a themed programme.

18. dyl

dyl Active Member

Good point, but playing devil's advocate, it can be argued that this is evident with a lot of CDs as well!

19. KMJ Recordings

That's maybe partly down to the fact that people would rather have info about the Band and conductor inside the 'standard' 4 sided booklet. It doesn't actually work out much more expensive to expand the format, but I guess you've got to ask the designer / recording company.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- why not include the information using the ID3 tagging system?

21. KMJ Recordings

Depends on how much you wantto include - isn't ID3 limited to 128 bytes?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=KMJ Recordings
    MP3 recordings
    mp3 files
    KMJ Recordings
    general information