brass banding on tv 24hrs a day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by luke, Feb 21, 2005.

1. luke

luke New Member

hi fello banders it has been on my mind for some time now why not have a whole channel just for brass bands you now like mtv but all about brass bands you could have interviews from the top conducters show all the area finals and the nationals and every sunday go to a different band room and show concert that is on !! it would be great way to get some of not so famous band out there reconised any way i will leave that with you all to think about ow and best of luck to all the bands in the area's
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I'd settle for an hour every 2 weeks or something, just to start off with...

Yours slightly less ambitiously...
  3. postie

postie Member

I think a TV station solely for Brass Bands is vey ambitious. The best bet would probably be a digital radio station, you only have to look on Sky Digital to see how many stations are around.
  4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

that would be good, but i reckon like an hour a week on channel 5 would be better to begin with (that way you dont need sky to watch it)!!!
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think there is an online brass band radio station somewhere? Can't remember if I saw that on a thread here a while back or not.

Still the easy way to get it so work is to have bands donate digital video or music files to whomever is willing to run this. If its only the smaller bands as the big bands still want to make money off of their Cds that's fine by me as it would give more exposure to the "little guys"
  6. bigcol

bigcol Member

Sorry to destroy this idea, but through my line of work I can answer this question.

It costs about £500,000 a year to have a channel on the sky digital network. Then there's the royalities issue to address - you pay for each time you play a work. So for a start it isn't viable

The way it could work is as a internet-only webstream - if you could find a solution for the royalties, then you would need a server with enough bandwidth to support it. I estimate about 1000GB a month to sustain a constant concurrent user rate of 10 at-a-time.

Then you'd just need someone to program and maintain content. :)

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

This is a fantastic idea .
    I would like to see it happen 24 hours a day 7 days a week.:clap:
    BRING IT ON:clap: :)
  8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I dont see much point in watching a brass band (perhaps with the exception of Spennymoor). After all, they are there for audio purposes rather that visuals. I feel that this would be quite boring for the vast majority of the paying public, and would make the project unviable.

I would however welcome more radio coverage, and feel that this would be the way forward.
  9. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Yes, but there are a lot of very good looking brass players out there! Nice to watch as well as listen to.
  10. postie

postie Member

Well I think that put that idea to bed than!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

hmmm never thought of that! good point lol! :biggrin:
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

spose it's a good idea... I wouldnt watch it 24 hours but at least it would be there at my convienience :p

13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

how about just a few shows on BBC 4? I don't think a whole channel would work, but you could definitely make a few hours TV out of it.
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Didn't know you had a tv in there :eek: ;) :oops:
  15. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

hanna's got a point, it's nice to know whether someone looks as beautiful as they sound :) but seriously i was gonna point out the money thing... it's not good :( ah well we can live in hope
  16. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I'd settle for a tv series about them. About two or three years ago there was about a 6 episode series called "The Real Brassed Off" on ITV (Midlands) about Desford Colliery which I found really interesting, as I was just getting into Brass banding. Was about their various activities- contests, concerts, getting sponsorship.

V. good programme! Pity it isn't on video/ dvd! I emailed them asking whether it was possible to get hold of the programmes, but they said it'd cost me £300!!! :eek:
  17. tedmundo

tedmundo Member