Brass Band Wiki updated

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by budstellabecks, Mar 4, 2011.

1. I have just given Brass Band Wiki a complete overhaul.

The previous system used was just far too complicated for users to add data using wiki markup text.

I have now changed it so that easy to use forms are used to create pages instead.

There are now complete forms for

• Bands
    • People
    • Youtube Videos
    • Contest Results
    • CD Information
    • Music Pieces
    • ...... and more

The wiki now autogenerates a lot of content from within itself so it now has each bands contest history updated when contests are added.

There are auto generated band maps by country / region / section and also by which days they rehearse.

The site can be found at http://www.brassbandwiki.com

Also currently, you don't have to log in to update. This is something I'm trialing for a short period to see the effect it has with possible spammers.

All the content from the old site will be uploaded in due course so thank you to all contributors so far.

Any feedback is more than welcome.

Thanks,

Graham

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Now, I don't want to stir, but I've spent quite some time recently adding bands to the map at www.brassbandresults.co.uk, and it seems that the content of the two sites overlaps quite significantly. Is there some way the two sites could share content? It just seems a pity to split the finite amount of effort that's out there... I mean, I'm not going to register on another site just to repeat what I've already done - and I've nowhere near finished either. It's not just these sites too - there's at least one other site out there that I can think of that has a similar aim.

3. alanl58

alanl58 Member

budstellabecks: I've just added our Band to your pages, but it would be much simpler if there was one form to fill in instead of several, e.g. Band, rehearsal day, venue, conductor etc. I'm not sure all the relevant details are there even now...

And Moomindave, remember that most band do not contest, so will not appear anywhere on your web pages and thus wiki will not be duplicating your efforts.

But good luck to both of you, well done.

alanl58

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Alan, it's not my website! Much like tMP is not my website. I've just put community effort into both, and have no effort to spare to reproduce elsewhere what I've already done. No axe to grind, no site to promote here... All I'm saying is: Wouldn't it make sense if we all pulled in the same direction? If the owners of the various sites attempting the same thing got together and agreed how to mesh their formats together into a single site... Doesn't that make sense?

p.s. Non-contesting bands are included on the brassbandresults. There's a lot more there than just a contest archive.

5. Thanks for the comments.

I'm aware that there are other sites out there doing similar things and if people prefer to use those sites then that's their prerogative. I set up brass band wiki a couple of years ago now and it gave our community a platform to add Brass Band content in whichever way they wanted.

After a few months of having the site live I thought it maybe needed more guidance as it was just far too complicated for people to add content as wiki markup text was needed.

I have simplified the site by adding forms for users and have also released it in a format that even those not logged in can contribute to the majority of pages.

Alan, thank you for your contributions so far, they are very much appreciated. The band form, is in essence, just one form. It was far too long winded though to have as one long page. I felt that the tabbed sections just made it look a lot less daunting. If you need any help with anything though, just ask.

Thanks again,

Graham

6. tat

tat Member

Graham,

I'm trying to add our latest vacancy list to it but cant seem to access the individual band form?

Regards

Dave

7. catto09

catto09 Member

Apologies for my post which I have now deleted - I didn't read the OP first which said "all content will be uploaded in due course".

Would it be possible to inform me when Granite City Brass' page gets uploaded. Also - can you remove the word "band" from the end of our name

Thanks

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  8. I have updated your page now for you catto09 :)

I am updating them manually a few pages at a time. I will eventually get round to all of them.

Unfortunately, the way that I have built the new site means that I couldn't simply just copy the existing sites data as pages now created using a totally different (but much superior) system.

9. catto09

catto09 Member

okay - I don't know whether this is just my computer, but I can't always get on to brassbandwiki.com

Sometimes says it's configured incorrectly?

10. Are you still getting this problem?

About a month ago I had to move it to a new hosting provider as the previous one was failing too often. I'm hoping it's sorted now though?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Wiki
    Youtube Videos
    effect
    wiki markup text
    Contest Results
  12. catto09

catto09 Member

this is the message i'm getting

"Server error
    The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.brassbandwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this web page later.
    HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request."

13. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

What has happened to me (on 2 different computers) is that www.brassband.wiki.com address worked fine until I logged on (after changing password) after that I get the HTTP 500 error.

However immediately after that point I was able to access via brassbandwiki.com, but again as soon as I tried to log on again, attempts to access via this Url also get the HTTP 500 error. (Again though on a completely different computer the site is still accessible , as long as I dont log on).

14. Thanks Pete. I've never had this error but I will get it checked out.