Brass band trips home and away!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassmittens, Jan 19, 2006.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to pool from the wealth of knowledge and experience that is here on Tmp.

Our band is looking to make a trip abroad in Easter 2007, and wondered if anyone out there has experience of successful (or unsuccseful) trips that i could use to help our commitee arrange the adventure.

One of my previous bands went to Valkenburg and we had a great time - the venues were alright, parks and bandstands but i think our band would like to do one "proper" evening concert in a venue, as well as the more lighthearted concerts.

Does anyone have any recommended contacts/companies/places or countries to visit and can anyone recommended any concert venues?

Perhaps we could try to team up with a forgien band/orchestra or choir on our visit for an evening concert? has anyone tried this?

Please, all tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance of your replies!!!
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Rayburn Tours - excellent company! Ask them to arrange an evening concert for you and they will.

Germany / Austria / Holland / Belgium - all excellent venues for band tours!
  3. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Whitwell Brass Band had a brilliant trip to Germany last summer.

It was arranged with help from our local Twinning Association. If your local town/village has a twin community in Europe, that may be a starting point. We joined up with the local band (more of a concert band) both socially and for a big concert at the end of the week. We performed our usual 'summer bandstand job' at a couple of local venues. Our German hosts organised trips out for us, and as we were staying with local families the costs were kept down.

Good luck with your plans
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

If you plan on going to this area (South of Holland or Flanders), there are lots of bands (most of them wind bands), at least one in every village. I think it wouldn't be that difficult to find a band that wants to do a concert with you, at least if you make contacts in time so that they can make the necessary arrangements.
    My own band is in the North-East of Belgium (province Limburg) and I do have some contacts with bands in that region (also across the border in Holland). (and we have a Trappist brewery in our village! ;) ).

Also in the North of Holland and in most parts of Germany, it shouldn't be too hard to find a local band. My band has built a good relationship with a German wind band in a small village near the city of Paderborn. We go there avery couple of years, and they visit us regularly
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Tuba Fran has arranged alot of Killamrash's trips to the continent.

Or are you thinking of coming over here to the States?
  6. ruthatron

ruthatron Member

went to poland last year (as part of a wind band, but they seem to love any music!) that was great, we were well received and the country itself was lovely. we played in 3 churches, so many of the audience members were members of the church.

also been to italy (venice, verona and cremona) where the tour company hooked us up with some of the loacl music festivals that go on in the summer over there. was the same when i went to paris (although that included a concert in disneyland).

my youth band are going to chicago (well just outside, lafayette i think) in the summer, that's as part of an exchange with a youth band over there, it's helped bring the cost down a lot.
  7. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Try and get hold of Tabby Clegg from Yorkshire Co-op Band (aka Brassjourno) she almost singlehandedly got the band from Yorkshire to New Zealand with of course lots of help from willing bandsmen fundraising. If you were looking to come out to NZ contact Simon Hocking at House of Travel NZ (Tabby has his details).

The National Champs in Oz are at Easter time that could also be an option and a trip of a lifetime!
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

In the mid 80's went to France, Rommans Sur desire(Think thats how you spell it).
    Went by coach (Disaster ) 22 hours to get there 1 main concert and a short pararade.
    The rest of the time nothing but we were only there for 5 days,nice part of France but not much to do apart from boost the local Cafe bars trade for the week with our money:guiness with Kronenburg or Wine
  9. Bungle

Bungle Member

1) If you are visiting your twin town you may get a donation from the local council.
    2) The town twinning association can also provide contacts for orgnaisation.
    3) Contact the local tourist information office where you would like to visit, they can sometimes organise out door concerts
    4) consider using a coach with a trailer, its a bit more expensive, but you can put suit cases in the trailer and when you get to the hotel you can dispense with the trailer until your journey home.
    5) If you are organising your own trip, you have to be confident your contact abroad will do what they say they will do and not to sudenly decide to be on holiday when you are due to arrive.

Had a great trip to Bruge and did an outdoor concert in Ypres all organised by local tourist information office.
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

went to Norway last year , played at some brilliant venues ( Tysnes festival) , Bergen with Krohnengen Band , and Karmoy Music School with Stangasland Band..some pics and information on the bands webstie ( ) , had a brilliant time well worth a visit as there are some fantastic bands in Norway. something different from France and Germany..America is brilliant too..had a great time in 2002 in New Jersey , Philadelphia and Bermuda..visited Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Chigago in 1997..fantastic tour
  11. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

I agree with all the points made by Bungle. We had very generous contributions from the UK twinning committee and the twinning committee in Germany arranged our playing venues, trips out. All we had to pay for once there was the occasional meal and drinks.

Our connection with the local band meant that we could use the hall they used for band rehearsals to store our equipment and instruments. We also made use of their percussion which meant that we could manage with just a normal coach (once the horn section accepted that they would only be allowed one suitcase and that would include their uniform!).

Our band photos of the trip can be found here.
  12. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Some really useful info here, and things we's never thought of.

Anyone else with tips on where to go (not in that way!!), or ways to arrange such a tour would be greatly appreciated.

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

There was an extensive thread on this sometime ago

so that might also help.

As BBCbass says, we've organised quite a few trips abroad since 2000 so if you need any specifics - contacts, locations etc send me a pm. Killamarsh have been to Germany, Italy, Holland, Belgium (twice) and the Czech Republic so if any of these locations are of interest, let me know. We have always arranged everything ourselves and not used any of the tour companies - generally gives a saving of about £200.00 per head but it does envolve a lot of work to start one from scratch.

Also reference the "home" side of your query we have also had week's tour in the Lake District, Northumberland, Cotswolds, Cornwall and Norfolk - we have a couple of weekend tours for this year in Scotland and Norfolk - so if these are of interest let me know.
  14. strongbow

strongbow Member

There is a company called Music on the Move based in Saddleworth that may be able to help you with organising the tour

Their contact details are
    t: +44 (0) 1457 829 767
    f: +44 (0) 1457 829 757
    Saddleworth Business Centre,
    Huddersfield Road, Delph,
    Saddleworth, OL3 5DF