Brass Band Sponsorship

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bbmad, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Is sponsorship a good or bad thing?
  2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Great while it lasts, as I'm sure bands like YBS, Leyland (BNFL), Faireys, Sellers, Yorkshire Imps, (to name a few) would all agree. Very few bands near the top of the tree manage to adjust to the leaner circumstances once a major sponsor disappears. One notable exception to this that springs to mind is maybe Fodens (BBS). They seem to have a core of loyal and outstanding players. Certain other 'elite' banders (md's and players alike) seem to turn up and declare their undying loyalty to whichever band has plenty of cash.
    It's not a new phenomenon, but since the demise of the old works / colliery bands there are now a lot of snouts trying to squeeze into an ever decreasing trough.
  3. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

It's a good thing; a very good thing. Bands may not handle it well, but that's not the fault of the sponsors, or of sponsorship as an idea.
  4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

To an extent the question is too hard to answer correctly as sponsorship levels and forms, and the expectations in return, are variable as are the bands that might receive sponsorship.

I've never been in a band sufficiently good to be formally sponsored so can't speak from experience, but it would be interesting to hear examples of sponsorship that worked out well (and why) and ones that didn't (and why).

A couple of the groups I've played in met in church halls, the rent was cheap and in return we performed in a few services for them. Perhaps that was a form of sponsorship and if so I'm in favour of it - I’m OK with attending the occasional church service so that form works for me - but I’m not sure how my fellow bandsmen and women view that ‘trade’.
  5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That's it in a nutshell.

~ Mr Wilx
  6. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

A modest amount of sponsorship can be very welcome. Particularly when the sponsor expects nothing in return other than to listen to, or participate in the bands activities in some capacity or other.
    There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but there may be such a thing as free sponsorship. Or am I confusing sponsorship with philanthropy ?

Lofty Snr.
  7. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

You are confusing the two, and what do you mean 'participate in the bands activities ? This could mean meddling, or maybe you mean just making the tea at the interval?

8. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

This may be the price one has to pay for philanthropy/sponsorship Godfather. Of course, knowing how your mind works I wouldn't expect you to do anything without a return on your investment.
    Just remind me, what are you doing to further the interests of the brass band movement these days ? You are a long long way from the old sauce works now chum.

Lofty Snr.
  9. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

Those were the days Lofty.
    Now there was a sponsor, HB, and then Horace. The band world needs a few more like the Hawleys.
    Until we meet again,

10. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

This is my favourite post. Ever.
  11. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Lofty, why are you posting in my name, are you taking the pi++ out of me??????

12. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Ha ha, nice try
  13. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

14. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

15. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

16. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

17. GordonH