Brass Band Seating Arrangement

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Oct 3, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Ok I need a picture of the seating arrangement of a brass band for a powerpoint presentation i'm doing, anybody got any good ones?

fi xx
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Do you mean a photo of a band in formation (from above) or a schematic diagram?
  3. meandmycornet

a diagram pretty please!
  4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

they have them on lots of brass band websites sort of like that anyway. Erm yeh look at some...
  5. meandmycornet

i knew that yonhee :tongue: I can't remember any though! I was wondering if people knew any specific websites that definately have a really good one on!
  6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

There is one HERE if it's any good to you.
  7. meandmycornet

oooh why thank you matt! thats perfect!!
  8. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

You're welcome - although I did notice the Basses are the wrong way round (conventionally) and the horns are also back to front unless the flugel sits at the other end of the horn line.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  9. meandmycornet

hmmm well its better than the only one that i found! it had like 6 basses, 6 2nd and 3rd cornets and 5 trombones, i thought it was a tad unrealistic!
  10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Have a look at our website, Ive set up the "Meet the Band" page in the Brass Band formatation with good wee pictures! ;)
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Interestingly the American band for some reason has the EEb basses on stage left (next to the 3rd cornets & flugel) with BBbs to their left (stage right - near the bass trom/baris).

Although I have played in bands where the positions of horns/euph/baris have been swapped or overlapped (see, for instance, Sellers at the open), I have never played with BBbs on that side.

Does anyone else play like this??

They also have "Flug - 2nd - 1st - solo" rather than solo horn next to flugel (though these positions seem to be less standardised - sometimes with flugel stage right instead of left (as with BAYV)).

***sorry - I missed Matts post saying exactly the same things***
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I have played on occasion with EEb & BBb that way round, and we also experimented for a while with the basses at the side (in the normal trombone seats) to cope with an awkwardly low ceiling.

As to the flugel/horn placings there are arguments on both sides: flugel & solo horn may often play together, so should sit together, but equally the separation can be quite effective when they are playing duets etc.

Mind, personally I prefer the flugel and horns in front of the trombones, with euphs and baris in front of the basses a la Grimethorpe.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's a question for anyone to answer ... why was the traditional formation of basses > euphs/baris > horns with cornets/troms facing each other virtually eliminated from banding? Was it to try and open up the middle sound of the band by bringing their seating arrangement forward?

post-edit:- I was told fairly recently that the seating I quoted above was called the 'Dyke Formation' (... which is new to my ears)
  14. meandmycornet

WOWOW yours is AMAZING!!! but I can't save it and use in my presentation :( such a shame :(:(:
  15. ronnie_the_lizard

Although you could take each instrument picture seperately and make your own seating arrangement - standard or "Dyke" or whatever.

[Are the pics copyright or are they freely available images/icons???]
  16. ronnie_the_lizard

Isn't it so that the PC & Solo Euph are facing each other since a lot of the melodic duet work (with more rubato rather than strict tempo) in earlier testpieces featured just these two players - less of a concern nowadays when flug / horn / sop / trom / EEb are all likely to have a go.

It also means that the four main soloists - trom / euph / pc / sop are all sitting nearest the audience so easier to take a bow etc.

It always seems a bit strange to have the solo Euph facing with the Bell pointing away from the audience (though this does mean it projects in to the band so better for balance / tuning in ensemble stuff?).
  17. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Maybe the solo cornets got tired of the trombones playing straight at them and put the euphs baris there to try and block the sound!! ;)

I got the pictures from a free web graphics site here and just mucked about till I got the right size I wanted.

The pictures should save ok or you could copy & paste the whole formation and put it on to Winword or something like that and it will work, then you can just print it off from there.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

The way we are set up just now, is flugel, horns and solo cornets in the inner circle, then euphs/baris behind, then basses, just due to space in our practice hall and we've so mainy horns and euphs/baris!!

One night we tried swapping the euphs/baris with the back row cornets so that their bells are facing out to the audience. All the cornets were in the inner half circle, and all facing out slightly, with horns behind and then basses. Certainly changes the sound within the band! The back row are the weakest section and it gave their sound a chance to project out abit better, (in theory!). I actually quite liked it that way, mite see if we can use it that way sometime!

We havent been brave enough to put into practice at a contest or concert yet!! Is there a rule about seating arrangements in contests?
  19. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I believe YBS sit (or used to!!!) with their horns like this, with the flug next to 2nd hn.

We currently have flug squeezed between solo horn and 2nd bar, although when we played Comedy Overture at the areas flug was moved next to the rep, as they had the same part. (Flug had almost nothing with the horns), also made sense as there were a few passages where 2nd bar and solo hn were playing together.
  20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've known YP bands sit with the 2nd cornets in the front - it helps project their sound and also means, as they are usually less experienced players, the leader can keep a closer eye on how they're doing.

Regarding contest formation, there are no rules, apart from those occasions when they try to impose set placings for percussion.