Brass Band Registry.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Frontman, Sep 6, 2012.

1. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I agree, we have the funding model (Scotland) to see how it can work, the idea that bands would join voluntarily every year I`m not convinced about I`m afraid. We can only make this work if we tap into our obsession with contesting, get contesting sorted and the rest sorts itself out in my opinion.

2. boourns

boourns Member

So Pauli, if a feasibility study were to show that the 'Scottish model' could be scaled up and adopted in England, would you support it? This is a system that has successfully developed grass roots and youth banding as well as managing their registry and organising the national contests.

It is your apparent refusal to contemplate any involvement of the national body in contesting that I find irrational, when there is absolutely no reason they cannot do both.

3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and the point is? I was referring to a local and specific area - Yorkshire only have a total of 60 contesting bands but I was giving you a comparison of one areas contesting to non-registered bands (some of which enter local entertainments contests as such)

I would envisage that if it was spread further afield in the Yorkshire contest area rhe proportions wouldn't be much different

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

And I applaud Scotland for the success they have had. But history tells us that in England, bands will NOT stump up the funding to be a part of a national body - and they have had every opportunity to do so over the years. If you believe a national body funded by a minority can work that's your opinion.
    But my fundamental issue here isn't with whether or not they can manage both requirements, it is about my view (and a view increasingly shared by others) that we don't need a registry in the first place and that is the root of my wishing to see no involvement in the national Contest. If they don't own the contest and we have no registry, then they can get on and do all those good things that have been successful in Scotland.

5. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

No, I `m saying that a national body for English banding that didn't involve itself in our tradition of contesting would be an irrelevance to MOST bands and would be doomed from the start.

6. Pauli Walnuts

We will have to agree to disagree on that then.

7. tat

tat Member

Where on earth do you get less than half from? North west would be on a par with Yorkshire with 80% + attending the area

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Must be all them southern bands - I'm struggling to find another 58 non-registered bands in Yorkshire

9. Pauli Walnuts

I base my numbers on work a did a while back whilst marketing a brass band insurance scheme - you will be surprised by the number of bands out there that have no interest in contesting. Sadly I no longer have that data - it remained with my former employers but it surprised me tool when I went through the exercise. Add to that those who do not enter the Regional contest and you'll get to my sort of figure.

10. Pauli Walnuts

I don't know how we do it down here when you consider how many players we export to the North (via RNCM etc) ;)

11. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Where I do agree with you Pauli, is that the longer English banding is a rudderless shambles as it is now, the more people will come to the conclusion that contesting is an activity they can do without.

12. Pauli Walnuts

If there is one good thing that has come out of all of this it is the number of contests that have now changed their registration process or eliminating it altogether - I believe removing this hurdle will bring bands back into contesting. The other thing we agree on is the shirt in your avatar ;)

13. tat

tat Member

Burnley??

14. Pauli Walnuts

Not around in 1966 then?

15. boourns

boourns Member

But that's the whole point, bands are forced to stump up the funding by making membership of the national body a requirement of entry to the national contest. I would be surprised if these nationally contesting bands constitute a significant minority, but even so we we would have a well funded body with a mandate from more than a handful of bands. And as things develop and the benefits of membership become obvious, perhaps more of the non-contesting bands would be persuaded to pay the fees.

I agree with you about the need, or lack thereof, for a registry, and have said so many times in these threads. However, this is not a reason to preclude the national body from involvement in contesting.

16. tat

tat Member

Yes i was, but i think you'll find that Burnley finished 3rd in the table and therefore the highest placed team that played in Claret and Blue!!
    England played in red and white if thats what your refering too as you did say the shirt and not the player?

17. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

It`s a homage to Sir Bobby rather than the Happy Hammers I`m afraid Pauli, I couldn't find picture with him in an Exeter City shirt!

18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

SBBA actually get a relatively small percentage of their income from member bands. Roughly 60 member bands paying £250 a year. However, as has been said earlier in this thread the real strength is in being able to show to central funding bodies that we are the National representative body for brass bands throughout Scotland. SBBA commission an annual survey of all their member bands in order to keep this data relevant and up to date. This data is referenced in most grant funding applications that the Association makes to Creative Scotland. It also helps to have the Culture Secretary firmly onside and to be able to show her some return for the level of investment that we receive (still a trickle when compared to organisations like National Opera).

19. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

The case for a national body being funded by way of a compulsory levy as a condition of entry to the National made quite nicely there John, thank you!
    Aside from short sighted English area officials barring the move, I don`t see why the 6 English regions couldn't start this next year!
    If the story is true, anyone know why messrs Hodges and Johnston were so vehemently opposed to this eminently sensible idea?

20. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I make it a point of principle never to use emoticons. However, just this once, I will allow myself....:clap:
    :clap::clap: