Brass Band Registry.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Frontman, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Not that I disagree with you in the slightest (the last band I played for left BFBB and joined Making Music mainly at my instigation), but how would you go about convincing bands to join a national body in that scenario?

2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

That's one view point (which is clearly yours) however there already exist two areas with 100% membership of the contesting bands to separate Associations - in Scotland and Wales. The compulsory requirement to contest within a single organisation has already been put through for the National Championship with BBP - whether due to apathy or agreement.

3. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I think Kapitol and BBE may be starting to do that for us already!

4. Pauli Walnuts

Because it exists in that way elsewhere doesn't make it a valid position.
    I can contest at SCABA without using a National Card of either type and that has been that way for years and my band do not compete Nationally - so why on earth should they pay £12pp pa to ensure a National Registry is funded? Because that is the reason for the proposed fee in that article.

I stand by my earlier comment - separate the two concepts, scrap one (registry) and fix the other (BBE).

5. boourns

boourns Member

Maybe not, but if you're looking for a solution and can see that this one has been implemented so successfully already, you'd have to be awfully stubborn to not at least consider it.

6. Pauli Walnuts

It's a different proposition - smaller countries, a lot less bands. The same goes for all of the European band associations (with the exception of Norway which has a lot of bands in the educational system).

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

So Making Music (a national body) is ok but not a National body for English brass bands similar to the Scottish or Welsh ones?

8. Pauli Walnuts

Francis, if you actually read what I write you will see that I have no problem with a National Body where is has nothing to do with Contesting.

9. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

A democratic, competent English national body funded by and mandated by 600 contesting bands can work surely?
    English banding would be like Scotland, although with more clout and more money.
    No brainer really!
    Like or not, contesting defines our particular branch of amateur music making and is the solution to our woes.

10. Pauli Walnuts

No Ian, it defines YOUR particular branch. I can't be bothered to go and count the number of brass bands that do not contest at all, let alone Nationally, but we both know it is a large percentage.
    Contesting isn't the solution to our woes, it is the cause of them!

11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you wrote - on the one hand I thought you were advocating a National body but on the other suggested that a similar one to the Scottish and Welsh wouldn't work for English bands. So to be clear it's ok providing it doesn't have anything to do with contests?

12. boourns

boourns Member

Given the important role contesting plays for many (most?) bands, is that not a bit irrational? I can't see why you would advocate a national body that seems specifically designed from the outset to not represent the best interests of banding as a whole. Surely there is room, and money, for both?

13. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

This is a contesting bands problem, why would a non-contesting band worry about machinations of the registry and the National championships?

14. Pauli Walnuts

I think we have seen already that the existing body, supposedly representing ALL bands (at least I think that's what the Arts Council would expect!) seems to focus more on the one activity that less than half of them actually get involved in i.e. The National Contest. Now that's irrational. Also, you are stating the contesting role as being for many(most) bands when in the context of the Nationals, that is far from being factual.

15. boourns

boourns Member

Registration etc is indeed a contesting bands problem, but there is no reason the proposed national body shouldn't benefit all bands. However, only contesting bands would be subject to mandatory membership, through entry to the National contest.

edit in reply to Pauli above...

From my limited knowledge of the Scottish system, rather than over-focus on contesting bands they seem to do an excellent job of encouraging the development of young players. The relatively huge number of Scottish youth bands is testament to this. It just so happens that they are largely funded through membership being mandatory in order to enter the Scottish National.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  16. Pauli Walnuts

If and IF we decide as a movement that we NEED a national body to secure the future of the brass band as an Art form, that's fine. If that body wants to focus on contesting at the National level, then that's not fine as it is unrepresentative of the band movement in England and I wouldn't expect to see Arts Council funding being wasted on funding an unnecessary registry. There are 9 bands within 20 miles of my house - just 3 of them attended the regional competition this year. 5 of them don't compete at all.

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Two separate things stuck together there:

1) The current registry controversy.
    2) The possible benefits of an umbrella organisation for English (or even all UK...) bands.

An umbrella organisation worth having would need to cater to both contesting and non-contesting groups of bands. It may be that contesting provides the common ground into which the tent peg of fundraising can be driven, but it would have to broaden its appeal from there or fail to represent a lot of people that it ought to aspire to represent.

18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Maybe it's different in the London and South East but I know most of the bands in South Yorkshire as follows:

Championship - Grimethorpe, Unite The Union
    1st Section - Barnsley Chronicle, Stannington, South Yorkshire Police
    2nd Section - Strata, Cornerstone, Chapeltown, Dodworth, Hatfield
    3rd Section - Dronfield, Dinnington, Worsborough, Rockingham
    4th Section - Maltby, Barnsley Met, Thurcroft, Dearn Valley, Markham, Oughtibridge, Deepcar

A total of 21 contesting bands, I also know other non-contesting bands in the same area

Loxley, Escafeld, Thurlstone, Woodhouse, Whiston, - many players at these "unregistered bands" also are members of the other contesting bands above and without wishing to do any disservice to these bands it would be fair to say they are all short on numbers

So in South Yorkshire a total of 26 bands of which 21 are contesting 80%

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  19. Pauli Walnuts

So, if I don't contest, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on how a national umbrella body should be run?
    (to be clear, the band I am a member of do not contest at National level - we are not a non-contesting band, we simply chose to get of the national treadmill)

20. Pauli Walnuts

L&SC can get 26 bands in the fourth section alone!
    The point about bands being short of players is though one of the areas where I would like to see action by a national body - for example, influencing education policies in schools and lobbying for increased funding for music centres and county peri staff. (Neither of which have anything to do with the National contest).