Brass Band Registry taking industrial action against BFBB

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Jul 22, 2012.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

And as quoted by 4barsrest

The British Federation of Brass Bands has informed 4BR that they are encouraging bands to send registration and transfer documents to the British Brass Band Registry as normal, despite the fact that remaining staff at the organisation have publically stated that they have taken industrial action.
    No difference of information there is there? :-?

2. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

The BBBR have asked A4B to publish a response on www.all4brass.com to the BFBB's accusations that they have not been given notice of industrial action. And also concerned about data protection, bands should not send transfer/registration documents into the BBBR. Full response www.all4brass.com

3. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I'm a bit agnostic regarding the whole registration system as it stands (will leave that to the otherr thread) but I do know that in my dealings with the BBBR whilst contest sec with Cambridge I always found Colin and Ann to be extremely helpful and responsive to e mails / phone calls , particularly in the run up to contests. It strikes me that something must be going badly wrong somewhere if a man is having to take time off work due to stress when , at the end of the day , this is a hobby for most of us.

Being a union man , I know where my sympathies lie here.

4. LynneW

LynneW Member

I totally agree with you. They are always really helpful when you contact them. There's no doubt at all in my mind that certain times of year must be very stressful normally, without more stress being added from BFBB. Even now the other members of staff are still thinking of the bands by keeping us all informed as best they can.

5. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by Red Elvis [​IMG]
    I'm a bit agnostic regarding the whole registration system as it stands (will leave that to the otherr thread) but I do know that in my dealings with the BBBR whilst contest sec with Cambridge I always found Colin and Ann to be extremely helpful and responsive to e mails / phone calls , particularly in the run up to contests. It strikes me that something must be going badly wrong somewhere if a man is having to take time off work due to stress when , at the end of the day , this is a hobby for most of us.

Being a union man , I know where my sympathies lie here.

Totally agree with you, I have nothing but praise to give to those at BBBR, let us hope that this dispute is soon resolved and Colin is healthy enough to return to work.

6. LynneW

LynneW Member

Totally agree with you, I have nothing but praise to give to those at BBBR, let us hope that this dispute is soon resolved and Colin is healthy enough to return to work.[/QUOTE]

I echol that - (Wish we had a "Like" Button on here)

7. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

Full story at www.all4brass.com - we have now been informed that talks have started in an attempt to resolve the issue, and that registration documents should continue to be sent.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

My sympathy and support go to all involved, in my experience these people have worked extremely hard to ensure everything runs smoothly.

However, I must say I'm quietly hoping that this may be the start of the collapse of the draconian and antiquated registration structure that we insist in using which is one of the biggest factors in our inability to change. Whatever comes out of this, I desperately hope that we start to see the shackles drop.

9. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Joh, we really do need a like button on this site!

10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Contest Secs had another email update from Lynn last night:

Following the announcement by the BFBB of positive talks surrounding the current workplace problems, the British Brass Band Registry staff are pleased to announce that their industrial action has now been suspended, and work has commenced in the normal manner.

We hope that this announcement will be received as a positive step to encourage sensible dialogue and we are sure everyone will join us in the advancement of a long term resolution to the satisfaction of all concerned.

It will take a while to clear the backlog, and we appreciate your continued patience.

Please email if you have any queries.

We offer our sincere gratitude for all of the wonderful messages of solidarity and support, THANK YOU!

11. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

12. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

Judging by todays email the talks are not going well as the BBBR are locked out of their office still.

It's hard as we don't know the whole story, by the BFBB certainly appear to taking the role of villain.

13. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

Frank Hodges writes to BFBB & requests keys be given to BBBR staff, as they're still locked out.

More at www.all4brass.com

14. Ex-Pat BBb

Ex-Pat BBb New Member

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

That first article scares me.

I'm also not sure why or how the BFBB can 'discuss the legality of the BBBR' (2nd article), unless they mean the legality of the dispute? Does this mean that member bands subscriptions could be used to pay lawyers? Do we get a say in this?

16. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

Why does the first article scare you?

And subscriptions will be used for running of the organisation. if this includes legal costs then so be it. One of the many joys of being membership of some enforced over arching body.

17. marc71178

marc71178 Member

An enforced body that people choose whether to join or not?

18. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

Potentially mixing my arguments here ;-)

19. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

I think Kapitol has no choice but to put their own arrangements in place to ensure their company is safe.
    Any well planned company would do the same. The fact that this company deals with Brass Bands shouldn't make a difference.

20. marc71178

marc71178 Member

I think it's all along been more the BFBB being cast in that role because they haven't been making statements every 5 minutes (for obvious reasons if you read today's update)