Brass Band Registry taking industrial action against BFBB

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Jul 22, 2012.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

Just heard about this, does anyone know what it is all about?

2. LynneW

LynneW Member

I've received an email from BBBR today, which I presume has been sent to all bands. It does sound rather serious, but hopefully something will be sorted soon.
    ("Bands concerned about imminent contests will need to contact the relevant Contest organisers." ) I'm sure I'm not the only person that's going to be contacting the organisers of the National Finals tomorrow to see what they say.

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

<sigh> Its all so ******.... amateurish. And unecessary. I don't know the ins and outs, but again it seems we have two of the movement's governing bodies fighting amongst themselves. I thought the BBBR was run by the BFBB?

4. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

A full story and copy of the letter emailed to bands is now at www.all4brass.com

5. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

OMG!

Received the email this evening - thank God I don't have a lot of registrations to sort out before the Nationals!

Time for some answers - EGM of the BFBB should be called so that member bands can be told exactly what is going on.

Surely we cannot let this turn into a lengthy legal dispute which puts money in the pockets of solicitors/barristers and takes it out of the pockets of the brass band movement.

How will this affect future funding of the BFBB? - it could be a total disaster!

6. I was just about to send off our reg cards this week for getting re stampped. Does this mean they wont get done? Its not that important, as our next contest isnt till october. Any advice?

7. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Perhaps this will eventually lead to the end of this restrictive and frankly arcane system! It does seem that the BFBB are behaving in a very unprofessional way though, but I'm sure we will hear the flip side of the story from them soon!

8. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Well said Iain - anything that leads to the end of the registration nonsense has to be a good thing.

9. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Keep hold of them until this is resolved - once you have sent them off you have lost control of what happens to them next! At least you have some time until you need them re-stamped.

10. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

For contest promoters, this is easy - simply suspend the requirement for registration until this dispute has been settled and then think long and hard about whether to bring it back!

11. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

So what is the general view on registration then? Would a play with one band on a day rule be sufficient without the effort of registering and transferring. Or do bands view registration more as "ownership" of a player?

12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Interesting question Chris, and one that's been discussed at length here, most recently in THIS thread.
    I think its probably best to keep this thread for news & updates on the current issue with the Registry.

13. Having been unfortunately involved in personnel disputes professionally and understanding the difficult position employers are put in legally in the modern world I struggle to understand why the BFBB is being flippantly termed unprofessional or amateurish by correspondents on this site.

This is another of those stories where only one side has been given so far and concusions drawn therefrom by those who live in a simplistic black and white world with no shades of grey (of which those literary experts will know there are at least 50!!)

It is sad that as usual when issues occur in banding and throughout life, one of the parties involved feels it necessary to stir up bad press all round rather than be big enough to sort out their problems and reach sensible compromises....oh well, it gives the media something to talk about for the slow summer weeks!

14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I don't believe the Registry are stirring anything - all they've done is let contest secretaries know we're not going to be getting our cards processed for a while, and offer an explanation. Better to have done that that leave us all in the dark imho.

Best advice at the moment is not to send anything into the BBBR for now, and if you have any registration issues for specific contests (including the finals) then contact the organisrs direct.

15. LynneW

LynneW Member

I totally agree Alex, I think they're only being fair by letting us know the situation. I did contact Phillip Morris from Kapitol as I need to send a transfer request ready for the Finals, and received a reply this morning saying
    "Just use the registry as normal for the moment. If the problem persists I will contact all the bands and let them know what to do"

16. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

I also contacted Phillip Morris this morning who was very calm about the situation and also said to send documents to the registry as normal.

17. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

The BFBB have now given us a statement regarding this matter. Available at www.all4brass.com

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Perhaps I'm being dense, but that makes no sense to me as an English sentence.

Is it saying that he's been disciplined for not attending their meetings?

19. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

In short, yes!

Sorry, we can only print what we're are given.

20. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

17:44 - 24th July

Just received a followup email from the Registry
    As we wish to updateeveryone as things progress, and in the absence of any comment from the BFBB,we wish to assure everyone that we are trying to resolve the situation asquickly as possible. We are doing everything we can to minimise anyinconvenience to bands and contests and publicly invite the BFBB to get round atable to find a way to resolve the unacceptable situation that they havecreated. Please let’s all do whatever we can to encourage the BFBB tofinally start talking.

We must also assureeveryone of the security and integrity of your personal information retainedwithin the British Brass Band Registry office as we are very conscious thatmany thousands of individuals will naturally be concerned.

The British Brass Band Registryis not a component of the BFBB Charity operation. The Registry rights arein fact assigned to the subsidiary trading company BFBB Contests Ltd., acompletely separate legal entity.

The Registry data isprotected by the Registry Data Protection Policy (available upon request).

The Registry DataProtection Policy stipulates that only authorised data processors may access orprocess personal information therefore it is fully protected from illegalunauthorised access. This includes the computerised data, manual filingsystems and your correspondence to us.

Please contact contestorganisers if you are concerned about procedures for forthcoming contests.

We advise thatregistration applications should not be sent to the Registry for the timebeing.

Once again, pleaseaccept our sincere apologies for the current disruption, and our assurancesthat we will endeavour to resolve the problems as soon as possible.

In the meantime, wewill keep everyone fully informed.