Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Jul 22, 2012.
Just heard about this, does anyone know what it is all about?
I've received an email from BBBR today, which I presume has been sent to all bands. It does sound rather serious, but hopefully something will be sorted soon.
("Bands concerned about imminent contests will need to contact the relevant Contest organisers." ) I'm sure I'm not the only person that's going to be contacting the organisers of the National Finals tomorrow to see what they say.
<sigh> Its all so ******.... amateurish. And unecessary. I don't know the ins and outs, but again it seems we have two of the movement's governing bodies fighting amongst themselves. I thought the BBBR was run by the BFBB?
A full story and copy of the letter emailed to bands is now at www.all4brass.com
Received the email this evening - thank God I don't have a lot of registrations to sort out before the Nationals!
Time for some answers - EGM of the BFBB should be called so that member bands can be told exactly what is going on.
Surely we cannot let this turn into a lengthy legal dispute which puts money in the pockets of solicitors/barristers and takes it out of the pockets of the brass band movement.
How will this affect future funding of the BFBB? - it could be a total disaster!
I was just about to send off our reg cards this week for getting re stampped. Does this mean they wont get done? Its not that important, as our next contest isnt till october. Any advice?
Perhaps this will eventually lead to the end of this restrictive and frankly arcane system! It does seem that the BFBB are behaving in a very unprofessional way though, but I'm sure we will hear the flip side of the story from them soon!
Well said Iain - anything that leads to the end of the registration nonsense has to be a good thing.
Keep hold of them until this is resolved - once you have sent them off you have lost control of what happens to them next! At least you have some time until you need them re-stamped.
For contest promoters, this is easy - simply suspend the requirement for registration until this dispute has been settled and then think long and hard about whether to bring it back!
So what is the general view on registration then? Would a play with one band on a day rule be sufficient without the effort of registering and transferring. Or do bands view registration more as "ownership" of a player?
Interesting question Chris, and one that's been discussed at length here, most recently in THIS thread.
I think its probably best to keep this thread for news & updates on the current issue with the Registry.
Having been unfortunately involved in personnel disputes professionally and understanding the difficult position employers are put in legally in the modern world I struggle to understand why the BFBB is being flippantly termed unprofessional or amateurish by correspondents on this site.
This is another of those stories where only one side has been given so far and concusions drawn therefrom by those who live in a simplistic black and white world with no shades of grey (of which those literary experts will know there are at least 50!!)
It is sad that as usual when issues occur in banding and throughout life, one of the parties involved feels it necessary to stir up bad press all round rather than be big enough to sort out their problems and reach sensible compromises....oh well, it gives the media something to talk about for the slow summer weeks!
I don't believe the Registry are stirring anything - all they've done is let contest secretaries know we're not going to be getting our cards processed for a while, and offer an explanation. Better to have done that that leave us all in the dark imho.
Best advice at the moment is not to send anything into the BBBR for now, and if you have any registration issues for specific contests (including the finals) then contact the organisrs direct.
I totally agree Alex, I think they're only being fair by letting us know the situation. I did contact Phillip Morris from Kapitol as I need to send a transfer request ready for the Finals, and received a reply this morning saying
"Just use the registry as normal for the moment. If the problem persists I will contact all the bands and let them know what to do"
I also contacted Phillip Morris this morning who was very calm about the situation and also said to send documents to the registry as normal.
The BFBB have now given us a statement regarding this matter. Available at www.all4brass.com
Perhaps I'm being dense, but that makes no sense to me as an English sentence.
Is it saying that he's been disciplined for not attending their meetings?
In short, yes!
Sorry, we can only print what we're are given.
17:44 - 24th July
Just received a followup email from the Registry
As we wish to updateeveryone as things progress, and in the absence of any comment from the BFBB,we wish to assure everyone that we are trying to resolve the situation asquickly as possible. We are doing everything we can to minimise anyinconvenience to bands and contests and publicly invite the BFBB to get round atable to find a way to resolve the unacceptable situation that they havecreated. Please let’s all do whatever we can to encourage the BFBB tofinally start talking.
We must also assureeveryone of the security and integrity of your personal information retainedwithin the British Brass Band Registry office as we are very conscious thatmany thousands of individuals will naturally be concerned.
The British Brass Band Registryis not a component of the BFBB Charity operation. The Registry rights arein fact assigned to the subsidiary trading company BFBB Contests Ltd., acompletely separate legal entity.
The Registry data isprotected by the Registry Data Protection Policy (available upon request).
The Registry DataProtection Policy stipulates that only authorised data processors may access orprocess personal information therefore it is fully protected from illegalunauthorised access. This includes the computerised data, manual filingsystems and your correspondence to us.
Please contact contestorganisers if you are concerned about procedures for forthcoming contests.
We advise thatregistration applications should not be sent to the Registry for the timebeing.
Once again, pleaseaccept our sincere apologies for the current disruption, and our assurancesthat we will endeavour to resolve the problems as soon as possible.
In the meantime, wewill keep everyone fully informed.
Separate names with a comma.