Brass Band Registry & Child Protection

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chunky, Oct 22, 2008.

?

Should Registered Sex Offenders be banned by the Registry?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Many bands these days, and rightly so, now have policies in place to protect children whilst at band.

However if a player, who is on the sex offenders joins a band with no children or youth band they are of course, one would assume, entitled to do so.

What if then that band goes to a contest where children will be, what steps are taken then.

Now I know that because a person has made a mistake in life they cannot be punished forever, but it exposes a potential risk.

Therefore should the Registry have access to the Register of Offenders and refuse to allow registration of said people.

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

By sex offender I'm assuming you mean paedofile and not someone who has sexually assaulted someone who is "of age" as it were?

3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Correct Anthony, I should have been more specific!

Perhaps the mods could change to the poll to absolutely clear? - Thanks

4. Owen S

Owen S Member

The simple answer to this is no.

Band contests are open to members of the general public, and they are not run in a way that keeps performers separated from the audience. As such, refusing to allow people on the Register of Offenders onto the Brass Band Registry at all would be more than a little silly.

Brass band contests are public events, and children should be looked after in the normal way they would be anywhere else that is open to the public.

5. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

i can think of bands that would go to the wall if this happened

6. Hells Bones

Is this about to open up a real nasty can of cockroaches?

7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Is it / or should it be - a legal requirement for bands to have a child protection policy when they have young people in their band? This is also an important part of your post Ian.
    Where bands have youngsters (particularly girls) there surely should be guidelines laid down to avoid any improper behaviour.

The sex offenders part is a definate NO for me, parents entrust their kids to our care whilst they are with the band and I have a good idea what their feelings on the subject would be!

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I agree with you - and bands like ours who are sponsored by larger organisations do actually (or should) have child protection policies in operation.

9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thats a fair point and I don't disagree, however whilst we cannot control 'public' access should we not all we can to ensure safety of children?

Only if people get vindictive. I am not after opening cans, starting witch-hunts and have no personal axes to grind, I just believe bands are expected to protect youngsters and feel it should be discussed!

10. superjobby

superjobby Member

I believe it is a legal requirement for bands nowadays, (please correct me if I'm wrong, it has been known!), I know we certainly have one in place.

I'm a bit puzzled by your comment about girls though. Should boys not be afforded and entitled to the same protection?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John
    Rehabilitation of Offenders Act
    Sexual Offences Register
  12. Hells Bones

I believe we should protect kids from any kind of inappropriate behaviour.

Can someone define what is inappropriate?

13. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Any behaviour which, if prosecuted, would result in a conviction and entry on to the sex offenders register.

Chunky I agree this is a discussion which should be had.
    Worth bearing in mind though that the vast majority of offences are commited by adults in positions of trust, who have regular contact with the child - family members, friends, teachers etc, so the contesting audience thing isn't so much of an issue.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  14. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I am not sure about the legal requirement, that is why I asked the question.

And yes the "girls" comment may have been unneccesary, I just feel in certain situations girls are more vulnerable, but maybe thats just my age showing through.

15. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I kind of agree that it is not really the Registry's responsibility but they or the organisers of a contest should never be put in a position by the band requesting the person to be registered.

Also, it is not really acceptable to ignore the fact because your band has no children in its ranks at the time simply because your organisation will be going to events where you do come into contact with children and you also give yourself a problem if a child wants to join.

16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Spot on Ian.

If a band, who has a Child Protection Policy in place, but has no children within its organisation is approached by a player (adult who has commited offence against children) will they turn them away?

The band may not even know of this players past conviction(s) and sign them. This is where I believe the Registry could step in.

17. Eb_Alex

Eb_Alex Member

Personally I don't think any conviction should stop somebody being part of a band or contesting with that band, if the registry were to incorporate such checks then surely every member of every band should be scrutinised in a similar way! There are offences that don't end up with your name on the sex offenders register which are equally threatening to all members of banding young and old! Should we all be CRB checked?

Also I don't see why the focus is on protecting just children, not only paedophiles appear on the register! Band contests are attended by people spanning a huge age range, and all of them have vulnerabilites that can be exploited.

Every band should (and I'm sure in most cases does) take responsibility for every player and non-playing member attending each and every event, contest and concert alike. We can all identify vulnerable people within our own band, afterall we do become like a family, and we ensure people are not put in situations where they feel threatened or frightened, we all do our best to look out for each other and in return we are looked out for by others.

18. superjobby

superjobby Member

Sorry Steve, I should have made myself clearer, I know you weren't sure, I was asking anyone else reading who might be able to clarify the position!

:tup

19. Owen S

Owen S Member

You explained my point better than I could Alex, without really intending to. :)

The reason why bands that include children in their ranks are legally required to be checked against the Offenders Register is to prevent prior offenders being placed in a position of responsibility for a child. In public, parents, or another responsible adult, should reasonably be expected to ensure that children are not left alone with unknown adults.

If a sex offender should not be at a public event such as a brass band contest, then they should not be on the sex offenders' register, they should be in prison.

20. grausue

grausue Member

This IS a can of worms and it SHOULD be discussed. :clap:

Child protection policies tend to concentrate on the protection of the child when in situations which mean that the child is likely to be alone with an adult - e.g. a person teaching the child in the bandroom; or when the adult will be with small groups of children.

I don't think band contests really come under this scrutiny and I don't imagine the registry would ever be able to take responsibility for such slippery issue. It would be the death of the brass band movement, impossible to police and a monstrous burden to administer.

Sue

21. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

If a band has minors in it then they should be always under some sort of supervision anyway shouldn't they? As for children attending contests, well they are the responsibility of whoever is there to look after them....

When I take my kids to a contest, I don't care if there are people there who are on the sex offender's register, I don't care, because I make sure my children are fully supervised at all times, and are never left unattended.

My kids, my responsibility. I personally wouldn't let my children go away to a contest without me or their dad there anyway - regardless of whether I knew and trusted the other members of the band - most abusers are known to the children anyway.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John
    Rehabilitation of Offenders Act
    Sexual Offences Register