Brass Band Podcasts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by alanl58, Sep 14, 2008.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

For several years I have download, and listened avidly to Brasscast, thank you Lucas et al....

But I am fed up with the iPod software that Apple use, and would like something a bit simpler that does not assume that everything I need to listen to is pop music.

Does anyone have a simple podcast download software, or am I destined to clutter my hard drive with unwanted, and mainly unlistened to, music?

alanl58

soon to be an old age pensioner, but not a computer illiterate!

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I assume you mean iTunes...? if so, what's wrong with it...? It is a superb music player, movie watcher, library, Equaliser, Screensaver, Radio Tuner et al... what do you not like about iTunes...?

3. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Yes, it was an iTunes player I was referring to.

What I would like is a simple player that allows me to choose a track from a recording on file and play it.

Sadly iTunes insists seems to think that I need a "playlist" and a "library" and "most recent played" and "most recent added", plus all the junk music that comes automatically and cannot be deleted.

But it does enable Brasscasts to be downloaded and I shall miss this facility unless I can find an alternative, hence my post.

alanl58

4. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Don't know whether the UK version of iTunes is different than the US version, but in the US version:

a) you can delete any and all playlist, including "most recent played" and "most recent added";

b) you can prevent files from being added to the library (Preferences > Advanced > uncheck "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library");

c) no music of any kind--junk or otherwise--comes with iTunes.

Hate to say it, but it sounds to me like operator error rather than an iTunes problem.

Since you apparently can't delete playlists, it sounds to me like your permissions are set incorrectly. Assuming you're on a Mac, the easiest way to check is to select the iTunes app and Get Info (command-I). At the very least, User permissions should be "Read & Write"; depending on whether or not you're the file owner, you may need to set either/both Group and Others permissions to "Read & Write" as well.

If by "junk music" you mean the tracks on a CD that you don't want to import, you need to change the import preferences from import to "ask to import" (Preferences > Advanced > On CD insert) then select only the tracks you want to import.

5. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I am sure that it is possible to do all you say, but my point is: "Why should I have to do that?"

What I want is a simple podcast downloader that does just that, without the need for "changing permissions etc".

Oh! and the iTunes that I just downloded came with a whole tranch of pop music which I could not delete, hence my desire for something simpler.

alanl58

6. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

If you want a piece of software to act as YOU want it to, the rest of the world be damned, you have three options: a) write your own program; b) download an existing program and configure to your preferences; or c) pay someone to do (a) or (b) for you. That's it. There ain't no others.

Are there other programs that can play podcasts? Yes. But all of them require you to manually enter the URL of the individual podcast you want to listen to, download the podcast, and manually save it to disc, and none that I've tried will automatically check for new podcasts. And every one will require setting up and configuring the preferences.

So pick your poison.

7. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Thanks for the advice, I will go without then.

alanl58

8. Pav

Pav Member

Not sure what the 'junk' music is all about. Is there any chance the music was already on the computer when you first used iTunes (I think it hunts out music files when you first install but it's been a long time). There's no preloaded music, and if there is I want some as well!

Is the problem with the volume of files on your iPod? Are you going through the menus (ie podcasts/albums/artists or whatever) on your iPod or trawling through at a long list of files (hence your frustration)?

9. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I have just re-installed ITunes onto a new computer, by downloading from the Apple site.

Now there were no tunes there when I began, and there were about 20 obscure pop songs there when I opened ITunes.

They are listed in a folder called "Party Shuffle", and contrary to an earlier poster, I can neither delete the folder nor the tunes.

Thus I am looking for an alternative, and have found two recommended by the BBC iPlayer website, but neither wants to work under Windows Vista.

Seems it is iTunes or nothing.

alanl58

10. dyl

dyl Active Member

No tunes where exactly?

Aren't these so-called 'tunes' sample tracks that come with Windows? Perhaps if you named them we could help shed more light on the matter?

It has been said already that iTunes comes with no songs/tunes - but after installation it scans your computer for any already on the system - hence why they may appear in your library/party shuffle.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Podcasts
    Lucas et al
    iPod
    Apple
    Brasscast
  12. Pav

Pav Member

Party Shuffle is part of iTunes - just plays anything in your Library in a random order. If you don't want to use Party Shuffle just don't go into it.

If you delete the 20 songs you don't want from your Library (not from Party Shuffle) and that should be the end of them.

13. winterman

winterman Member

Alan,

I think this is what you would be looking for.. I have used this for years and it is perfect for automatically downloading podcasts and the like (and it's FREE - nay open source even!)

http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/