Brass Band of Battle Creek

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Frosty, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Frosty

Frosty Member

This will save getting mixed up with another topic!

The trombones just seem to blend no matter who is in the section.
    Usually it contains:

Scott Hartman
    Wycliffe Gordon
    Mark Frost

We usually have another player who would sit and float between parts depending on whether the music was written for 3 or 4 bones.
    Whilst I have been in the band several other trombonists have been used in the spare seat!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've posted before telling tMPers about Battle Creek and especially about their natural ability to swing! The link to the band's site I have placed below and if anyone can doubt my opinion of them playing big band or jazz, try the sound clips (on the listening post page). You will need Quicktime to play these files!

shortcut to the 'Listening Post'
  3. Frosty

Frosty Member

The band copes extremely well in any style.
    Thanks for putting the link up.Should have done that myself!

I know the band would love to come back to the UK again.Just the huge cost involved in doing that.I know for certain that they would not get audiences the size of that they have just had in Florida if they were to tour here again!

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The only album I don't have is the Saturday Spectacular CD. Is this a tribute to the State marching bands and their anthems?

:redface: ... actually, I don't have the Live Brass 1 CD either! Would be interesting to hear the Dragon again in it's full version (... mind you, having the Welsh National anthem as an intro to the last mvt. in Britain & Brass was different!)

(have a listen to "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy from Company BBBC" and "Black And Tan Fantasy"... Wycliffe Gordon is one of the ultimate masters of the plunger mute!! both kinda nice! :) )
  5. Frosty

Frosty Member

Saturday Spectacular is exactly what you thought about it.I've not heard it either!!

Live Brass 1 is also worth a listen.Features Wycliffe playing Lover Man.
    For anyone who hasn't heard Wycliffe play.You'll be amazed!!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I used to believe that Ray Anderson [ ] was the modern plunger bone-god but listening to Wycliffe's solo album stuff makes him literally speak more than I would ever imagine. Glad to see that the listening post has been updated since my last visit there to include mainly full charts! :)
  7. Frosty

Frosty Member

He has his own style.Each time I go he seems to play better!
    Most of the players in BBBC would have no problem standing up to be featured.Don't think there would be a band over here where that would be possible.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

One question before I get some needed sleep ... in your experience, is this the greatest ever assembled brass band you've been involved in ??? (I know it's a tough one!)
  9. Frosty

Frosty Member

I think for an assembled band with some of the best players on the planet then yes.
    A traditional British style Brass Band is something completely different.BBBC does not really fall into that mould!!

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Having read the player lis, there is a very good reason why this band can swing - there are a number of guys there whose first language is jazz (Rex Richardson springs to mind).
    Knowing Rex very well and having played alongside him a couple of times, the fact that he can swing is no surprise. Likewise Jens Lindemann - incredible crossover player - jazz/straight, it makes no difference.
    If the language of jazz was introduced to our (especially banding) students at a much earlier age over here, then maybe we might be able to play swing in a more authentic style?

I knew that Rex was playing with that group (he was supposed to be coming over here to do a tour, but chose BBBC instead) and was very close to taking a trip out to see the band play - unfortunately teaching got in the way :( - I'll just have to wait until he is over here (end of May) to catch up.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... has anybody visited the listening post yet? Any opinons from banders who have not heard Battle Creek until now?
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was fortunate to hear BBBC at Regent Hall when they were over a few years back, and got via my Dad (who'd arranged the solo for Steven Mead) a copy of the live tour recording. I'd certainly go along with those who written of their versatility and strengths around the stands.
  13. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Rex is on the program to play at the 3rd Annual Melbourne International Festival of Brass that runs from the 1st till the 6th of August. It will be very interesting to hear him.

Check it out here
  14. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Have been a big fan of the BBBC for a while now, and I think they are a wicked band.
    I've got Live 1, NABBA recording (Live 2 since being re-released), and Britain in Brass, and the playing on it is top notch. Trying to get hold of a copy of "Sing Sing Sing," as Steve says he's out of copies.

I agree that they can really swing, but they can certainly play their test pieces too- Year of the Dragon and Harmony Music are both awe inspiring performances!!!

Would love them to pop over to the UK so I could get a chance to hear them live!
  15. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

BBBC's live performance at the Gala Concert at the end of the NABBA Competition in 2002 was magnificent. It was a pleasure to be in the audience!
  16. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

An excellent write up of their recent Florida tour in this weeks British Bandsman by Steve Mead. Well worth reading ;)