Brass band music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassfanatic, Jun 12, 2010.

1. brassfanatic

brassfanatic Member

Do hardcore brass bander's listen to brass band music on their iPod?

Just got myself a new 16gb iPhone - and there's only a hand full of non brass band tracks on it!!!

In every band there exist players who are deeply interested in playing, fairly interested, and weakly interested (the weekly band practise gives them somewhere to go, kinda thing). Has everyone else found this? In top section bands - are all the players hardcore fans etc? I presume they are, given their level of playing.

I've just found recently that in lower section bands - you'll find players who have never heard of renown brass band pieces, and will play brass band music but wouldn't be caught dead listening to it.

For me, its the genre of music I like listening to most.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    iPhone
    iPod
    Brass band music
    non brass band
    hardcore brass bander
  3. Band_Beefcake

Band_Beefcake Member

I have to be honest and say on my ipod there is 70 - 80% brass band music. Great recordings from over the years especially test pieces that can get you through the drive to work :)

4. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

My bloke has an iPod which is just 4 gig of brass band tunes and nothing else! I originally bought him a 1 gig one for Christmas two years ago as I wasn't sure how much he would use it, but he soon filled that up and was listening to it all the time.

When I finally get an iPhone I might pass on my 60 gig iPod to him, and I think even he would be hard-pressed to fill that exclusively with brass band tunes!

5. Kjata

Kjata Member

Don't count on it Kim, if I probably could, then he definitely could!!

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

No band music on mine :)

7. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

I have 27 gigs of brass band music on my Itunes. And 6 gig on my iPhone. How sad lol. But always listen to it cause it's good music. From 4th section stuff to the best of the best.

8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I don't do anything Apple, but use a Sony Walkman MP3 player. 8GB capacity and it's mainly bands, with a little folk/traditional and comedy to make up the rest.

However, I had an epiphany yesterday and realised that I only use it in the car (my car stereo has a USB interface). Luckily, I had a 64GB flash drive knocking around and have now filled that up with: My entire music collection!:woo

9. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

That's a serious amount of BB music. My 2.75 GBs has 412 tracks - how many tracks does yours have (presumably over 4,000) and which one has had the most play counts. Mine is The Thievish Magpie from Black Dykes Morning Cloud which has had 8 plays.

10. brownrob

brownrob Member

Of the 12,000+ tracks (haven't checked how many in a while) about 3,000 are brass, and they get the most airtime

About another 2,000 are Classical

The rest of the stuff I have is what people generally class as "good" mainstream music but I don't really enjoy listening to it anymore as its all fairly bland, and what can compare to Rachmaninovs Adagio or the end of 1812?! :D

I think I prefer to hear music live rather than recorded and how many artists sound better live than their highly produced CD's, whereas the good Brass Bands always sound better live.

***Edit***
    My highest played track is currently alternating between YBS's Shine as the Light and Dykes Knight Templar

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  11. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    iPhone
    iPod
    Brass band music
    non brass band
    hardcore brass bander
  12. grjeuph

grjeuph New Member

I have an 8gig iphone for which the contract runs out next month, i'm going to have to get the new Iphone because the man in the shop lied.......... I can't get all my brass band CD's on it - he said I would be able to.
    I only have brass band CD's on my iphone with a few military bands e.g. Royal Marines.
    I've even created play lists for the test pieces I have played over the years, The CD's that I have recorded with bands that I have played with and Euphonium Solo's....
    My daughter thinks I am extremely SAD........ but who cares, it's my life and I can't think of anything better to do at work if, you want to block out some boring old fart! wittering away than to plug into your iphone/ipod and listen to some good brass band music.

13. euphoria

euphoria Member

Years ago I ripped my entire 500+ CD collection of brass music to mp3's. In those days harddiscs were quite expensive so I only ripped in 128 kbps, which I thought sounded OK at that time. I used a first generation Ipod for those files.

I have later ripped my favorite CD´s to 320 kbps as my portable audio-system improved and that helped sound quality significantly. These files would easily fill my Ipod Touch.

I am now in the process of ripping all my CD´s - brass and non-brass - to FLAC which is a lossless audio format (harddiscs are now much cheaper) and will exclusively use streaming for my home-audio system. I have found that my more obscure recordings gets much more air-time when I have them on a music-server.

I am now considering buying a Hifiman, which is a SD-Card based HiFi portable player with build-in DAC and Amplifier. It can play FLAC-files and you can the forget the limitations of the traditional players. You can simply buy another SD-card when you need it.
    It's rather pricey at $790 but sound-quality should be awesome and you don´t need to carry external DACs and Amplifiers along with your Ipods :p

14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Only have an 8gig iphone so about 6.75 gig reserved for music.

I do find brass music doesn't play so well in the car because of the dynamic contrast You have to keep fiddling with the volume, otherwise you go deaf in the loud bits or can't hear the quiet bits. Much better when just chilling with headphones on - for which I just plug into the PC where I have about 13-14 gigs of brass.

Since the iphone is mainly for the car, only about a gig and a half is brass bands. The rest is mostly heavy metal.....

15. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

iTunes = 53,9 GB
    6401 tracks with bb recordings...

16. danishtuba

danishtuba New Member

HEHE Jacob

Starting reading this thread I thought there might be a reply from you at some point.

In Denmark (where Jacob used to live) I guess we are a handful of people listening only or mostly to brass band, but the rest of the players never ever heard of the hardcore pieces and just plays once a week....

And I miss our many cups of coffee, listening to hardcore pieces discussing every little detail :)

Mads

17. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Hehe... Velkommen til Mads :)

Plenty room for "nerding" here :) .... You are alway welcome for coffee in Stavanger anytime... :)

Jacob

18. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Hi Jacob, whats your top three play counts by title and number of plays?

David

19. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Coventry Variations (Bramwell Tovey) 8
    Concertino (Kenneth Downie) 6
    Night To Sing (Bramwell Tovey) 6

20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Torch of Freedom (Eric Ball) 13
    On the Quarterdeck (Kenneth Alford) 11
    Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 (Liszt Arr. Rimmer) 8