Brass Band Membership Fee's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by welsh_dragon, May 24, 2013.

1. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

Don't know if this has been discussed on here before but I was wondering if players have to pay membership fee's at their own bands?

I've been asked to pay membership fee's at my own band but not happy to do this as I have my own instrument, so i don't borrow an instrument from them. I also have my own insurance that covers any damage, loss or theft to my instrument. I've never been asked to membership at any of the other bands i've been in before except for Junior Bands.

What is everyone else's view on this? Should I still be eligible to pay any membership fee's although I have my own instrument?

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

you may not use a band instrument, but what about the rehearsal space, conductor's time, music, music stands, uniform etc etc.....

I know of very few bands that don't ask their members to pay some sort of subscription or membership fees.
    The amount of those subs/fees can vary widely though, and that is something that's been discussed on here quite a few times over the years.
  3. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

I understand that other resource's are being used, but shouldn't the fee be lower? I've paid over £1500 for my own instrument already, why should i be paying the same as anyone else.

Banding is a hobby to me at the end of the day and I don't really want to be paying anything that's just a hobby.
  4. Accidental

My question to you is, why shouldn't you be paying the same as everyone else? How can you know or judge what other people are spending behind the scenes on petrol, their own instruments/maintaining band ones and resources for the band? Presumably its a hobby for the other 20+ people in your band too, and the money to run the band has to come from somewhere.

As to whether or not your band should be charging less, only people directly involved in the band and its management can really comment on that one. I think you'll find THIS THREAD on the subject of costs and value makes interesting reading.

...oh, and lucky you getting yourself an instrument for only £1500! I've just chosen to pay twice that because the old band instrument I was using is getting past it and I wanted my own again; and a decent new Euphonium or Bass can cost upwards of £5000...
  5. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

Putting it bluntly.......either pay up , and play............or practice all on your own and do it for free..........:tup
  6. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

I reckon i spend as much money on petrol as everyone else. On what except for petrol would everyone else be spending their money on? If their instrument breaks then its the band that pays for it, if mine needs anything i have to pay myself.

As to the instrument cost i play the baritone and bought about 10 years ago so it might have been. But what does this have to do with anything?

Bumper-euph if i wanted to do it for free i could just join another band down the road but don't really wanna do that. Just doesn't seen to make sense that i should pay the same amount if i have my own instrument.
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I go to my golf club. I have my own clubs, bag, trolley and golf balls but they still ask me to pay the same membership fee as everyone else. Perhaps I should tell them that as I have my own equipment I will use the facilities for free. Lets see how far I get with that...
  8. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

Sorry but you can't compare going to play golf with this. Totally a different situation
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

How? I use my leisure time to either play in a band or play a sport. In both cases facilities are made available to me without which I could not take part in either activity. If I choose not to pay the band then I can play my tuba at home on my own. if I choose not to pay the golf club then I could always go to the public park and hit wedges across the football pitch. Both alternatives mean I am not getting the full potential enjoyment from either activity.
  10. Accidental

I'm a bit confused here - why ask for 'everyone's' views if you're just going to argue with anyone that doesn't agree with you?

I've said all I can be bothered to say on this one now tbh because we're obviously on very different sides of the discussion, but I'll leave you with a few highlights of the other thread which, based on your last couple of posts, I'm guessing you haven't looked at....

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  11. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

Yes but most band do concerts / competitions throughout the year which should raise enough funds to cover most costs. The players give their time up for practice twice a week and god knows how many concerts and still have to pay at the end of the year. I just dont think it makes any sense.

If you dont have any golf clubs then you have to hire them from the club for an extra cost after paying for the round. Does that mean if you don't have your own instrument then you have to pay more to borrow one from the band?
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Really, do they? I'd like to see which bands earn enough from concerts and contests to fund their running costs. As for the golf club analogy, I give up my time to play in medal and team competitions and God only knows how much I practice (but never seem to improve).

And have you not just answered your opening argument there. So at the next rehearsal you can turn up with your own chair, stand and purchase your own parts for the music the band are playing because otherwise you would have to hire these from the band and pay for them at the end of the rehearsal. Oh, and you will have to come to an agreement with the conductor to pay for at least 1/25th of his rehearsal fee.
  13. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

Not arguing at all, i'm allowed to have my own opinion as well. I asked for your views and didn't agree with them so i'm just replying to what you've written. Really don't care if you don't have anything else to say on the matter but thanks for your opinions, i will take them on board .....
  14. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Two choices you have.

Pay,stay & play!

Don't pay and go away!

It's your call.

Simples mate.:rolleyes:
  15. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

stop being so tight and pay up ! or just say ta ra and walk off into the sunset with your Baritone under your arm !
  16. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

Its not about being tight mate
  17. I guess you've made your choice seeing as you sign as "former baritone player."
    Words of wisdom coming............. in life we get very little for nothing.
  18. markh

markh Member

You're hilarious, Mr(s) Dragon. I presume that this issue has arisen because the band constitution/rulebook says no subs payable and they are asking you to pay some?
    If so, you may have a legitimate gripe. However, if the constitution/rulebook says otherwise, why would you choose to join a band under those conditions and then query said conditions?
  19. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

Its an old signature
  20. welsh_dragon

welsh_dragon New Member

Yes im hilarious. Im allowed to give my own opinion and if you don't like well don't bother to say anything i won't lose any sleep over it.