Brass band members targeted with 'abusive' tweets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bungle, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bungle

Bungle Member

Just seen this on BBC website appalling.
  2. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

Totally agree. Let's hope the police use their powers and the persons responsible are brought to book. They may be in the minority but we don't need them and there is no excuse like "it was just a bit of fun" the persons responsible know exactly what they are doing. They are a disgrace to the banding movement and the bands they are connected to - they deserve to be sacked.

Please note I am expressing my personal views and not the views of the regional committee.

3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Having read the tweets, i agree it got out of hand and would not defend them in anyway

However i hope this debate doesnt go into "Daily Mail" mode with people who never saw any of them professing how offended and disgusted they were without having first hand exposure to them
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The Twitter account and Facebook page have both been removed as of Monday - they had something less than 200 twitter followers, not sure how many on Facebook

Oh and no connection with what was written
  5. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

This was reported on 4br three days ago. The BBC is just catching up. It's such a pity the Beeb didn't balance their report with the more positive side of the contest, great music, camaraderie etc. Unfortunately, good news isn't good news.
  6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Think a quiet message to them at the time saying they were being monitored and that the tweets were offending and a warning them that further action would be taken if they continued would have sufficed

Wonder how much of this is also certain people/organisations trying to get publicity and media exposure on the back of it
  7. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

I heard about this on Monday and you can rest assured your name wasn't mentioned.

I asked the question "Why do it in the first place" - someone was bound to pick up on it and I find it so sad that those responsible don't have the forethought to think how it reflects on them, the movement and what the band they play for may think.

8. Flumpet

Flumpet New Member

I saw most of the tweets as they were happening live, and I have to say that some of them were dreadful! I can see that whilst they were probably intended as "a bit of fun/having a laugh" they did overstep the line and the language used was so offensive!!

I have also (through the grapevine) heard that one or more people were involved, and that these people involved actually play in some of the country's most prolific bands...if this is true then shame on them and I hope they get "asked to leave" as it surely brings the name of their band down into the gutter along with their own name
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

One of them was pulled to one side by Stan to my knowledge and warned - didn't do any good as it carried on the next day!

It seems strange to me, the guys that are doing it seem to think they are "cool" bandsmen and the rest of us are not! And they set out to poke fun at us enjoying a contest and the weekend! Wallies, as Peggy says, I would be considering my position if I were band manager and they played in my team colours!
  10. Ysl641

Ysl641 New Member

Not condoning anything, as some of the comments were way way too far, but I've been offended with some comments 4barsrest have made in the past in their live updates of contests. Covering all things from racist and homophobic, to overtly sexual and offensive to indivuduals concerned. This isn't a dig at 4barsrest, but if they are going to so closely scrutinize what others write, shouldn't they be doing the same?

It does seem as if this could, and should have been nipped in the bud rather than being put forward into the public domain as a witch-hunt to whoever was posting these things, and more to the point, actually drawing negative mass media attention to something which had less than 200 twitter followers?! If a person was warned and it carried on, then who's to say that person was responsible, unless they were really stupid. Even the article on the BBC website states:

"A spokesperson for Butlin's said the person they thought was responsible was dealt with by competition organisers at the time"

I think 'thought' should be the important word.

I do think that a sacking from a band is a bit extreme, there was a lot of people commenting on the posts, re-tweeting the posts and actually viewing them as a positive thing, are they all to be sacked as well?

High profile banding for me is no different to any other banding. It is a cultural, and social activity that people at any level do and enjoy, which, disgracefully, get's absolutely no exposure in the wider world. To put the issue of a problem into the wider world to be picked up on by anyone who views the BBC website is far worse for the perception of brass banding than something that was done to an audience of less than 200.

Just my opinion obviously, but this really does have potential as someone has already said, to go very Daily Mail and lose sight of just how significant a thing it actually was. My perception is it is being blown totally out of proportion, and that for me is the most damaging thing for the movement.
  11. agentorange

agentorange Member

Roy, I suspect this is a large part of it.

It seem's that I must have been one of the few that wasn't offended! Yes, the tweets were in bad taste, and the language was coarse but they were quite obviously tongue in cheek, and not to be taken seriously. I never met anyone all weekend who'd read them that didn't find them amusing. Comedians such as Chubby Brown and Frankie Boyle have made a living from similar types of comment, yet this is accepted (if not enjoyed) by everyone. To me certain people/organisations are making a mountain out of a molehill. No one was forced to follow the comments on twitter. Those involved should perhaps think twice about posting similar comments in future, but Police involvement - GET A GRIP! There are far worse things in the world than a few jokes made in bad taste and far more important things for the police to be investigating than this.
  12. valveman

valveman New Member

You can hardly sack someone for following it?? I was one of those that followed it at the start of the day but only saw the first couple of tweets, i unfollowed when i came back at the end of work to see the more abusive tweets. I think people retweeting are as bad.

I agree and disagree, how many quiet words do people need to start behaving and giving other band members respect. There used to be healthy rivalry between bands but now it seems quite nasty and vindictive.

Try being one of the people they were talking about in the awards and see how out of proportion it is then. What if you job was in teaching, especially small children and then you receive a fictitious award for sexually abusing children.
  13. The Wherryman

I don't use twitter, but my understanding is that any 'tweets' are automatically in the public domain, inasmuch that anyone who logs into twitter can read them (unless the tweets have been made private, which doesn't seem to be the case here). It is not necessary to be a 'follower' to be able to read the tweets, so the suggestion that only 200 people read them would seem to be incorrect.
  14. davejenkins

davejenkins Member

I agree with the "get a grip" sentiment of Agent Orange. What was a shame for me was the lack of independent and sensible comments and observations of the days' events on Twitter. We either had the dogmatic, often irritating, but at least sometimes informative, tweets from 4br, or the ridiculous, immature outbursts of you-know-who. Although I didn't see anything racist or homophobic on there, I did find the language used totally unnecessary. I think that references to people's size is offensive, I did see that.

So whilst the whole thing has been blown well and truly out of proportion, I do think that the fool(s) who were involved in the closed Twitter account should take a long, hard look at themselves and do some growing up.
  15. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

The fools who did this (I saw the tweets) are nowhere near as funny or as clever as they think they are. The world-class bands they represent would be better off without these infantile clowns.
  16. The Wherryman

Did you speak to the people about whom the remarks were made? It's very easy to trivialise such things when you're not the target.
  17. agentorange

agentorange Member

Wherryman, I shared a room with one of the 'victims' and can confirm that he took the comments in the spirit that they were intended - a bit of harmless fun.
  18. Ysl641

Ysl641 New Member

My point is how many people would be searching for the comments, even if they were completely in the public domain, in comparison to how many people will see the story on the BBC news website.

I also think that whoever was concerned needs to look at their actions, however a public flogging really isn't entirely fair is it? What ever happened to being able to accept you've done wrong, give a SINCERE apology and being allowed to make amends?

I didn't say for following it, I said for commenting, re-tweeting, and viewing in a positive light (by which I should have been more specific and said commenting on in a positive light, I don't think anybody should be sacked, posters or re-tweeters)

I know some of the people who the awards were named after. Maybe they took them in the context that they were put across? (Although the mention of paedophilia was for me, the one thing that was completely out of order and to be fair, for me that should be the focus of where attention is driven rather than for bad language, coarse comments and divisive humour)

My main point was, and is, the fact that something which happened and a small number knew about has been put into the public domain, and the reasons why I can't fathom. That for me, is the really damaging aspect for the movement.
  19. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

My thoughts exactly. No doubt a bit of a lark that has backfired. I actually feel sorry for the culprit !! He/she will now be suffering far more anguish than the 'victims' - most of who would have been unaware of the tweets.
  20. The Wherryman

Yep, that's the answer. Something very unsavoury happens, so we blame the whistle-blower.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.