Brass Band Magazines

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ben.gernon, Mar 23, 2004.

?

Which brass band magazine do you buy?

1. Brass Band World

62.5%
  2. Brass Herald

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. British Bandsman

12.5%
  4. I don't buy any

25.0%
  5. other (magazine not listed!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ben.gernon

ben.gernon Member

We've had all the debate about Brass band music on the radio e.t.c.-what about brass band magazines? Which magazine do you buy? or do you not buy them and why?! :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass
    :D
    Brass Band Magazines
    Brass band music
    radio
  3. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

BBW. I did try to subscribe to British Bandsman or whatever it is called but they never returned my e.mail :?

4. markyboy

markyboy Member

I tried to vote for The Bandsman and Brass Band World but it wouldn't let me!
    Anyway thats what I buy but I do think BBW is a bit pricy at £3.85 a time.
    The new magazine that came out last year is just a bit 'high brow' for my liking, I think thats called Brass Herald.But I like Brass Band World, I have every copy since it started in 1991.
    Thats a true anorak for you!

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I dont buy any... got the internet which does me just fine :D

;-)

6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I subscribe to the Bandsman - although I'm beginning to wonder why? :dunno :dunno :dunno

I did subscribe to the new one (Brass Herald) at the Areas last weekend - at least there's more than one story in it :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Yes, same problem here. You need to allow people to vote for more than one!

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm currently subscribing to British Bandsman and have just received a reminder that the renewal is due. I think it is fair to say that what with theMouthPiece, 4barsrest and the Brass Band World website, much of the news that you used to wait for with baited breath is out before the Bandsman arrives, but I still find the occasional article or review of interest. I think therefore that I shall renew it, even though some weeks it may only take half an hour or so to read.

Regarding Brass band World I have an arrangement with a friend that he passes on his copy in exchange for my old BBs, which works quite well. Again the reviews and interviews are often very interesting, if a little opinionated at times.

I've been a subscriber to the Brass Herald since the first issue, and would definitely recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in the wider area of brass playing. For any who have read the "Essential Brass" magazine produced and distributed with the BB the Brass Herald covers much the same ground, but in more depth and with some very highly respected contributors.

9. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

We used to subscribe to the Bandsman

We stopped as we were getting alot of the information from the internet before we collected the mag and decided that it was becoming a bit of a waste of 90p!

10. Highams

Highams Member

Yes I get the BB and BBW, the BB because it's the only weekly, though it's getting worse and the Internet will gradually take over I think.

The BBW started off great but has also declined and is expensive, the quality of the centre band pics. is now dreadful.

The best ever was Sounding Brass, many years ago.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Yes, they have an annoying habit of pasting the heads on of principal players who are missing in a rather unconvincing fashion. Looks like a two year old has had a go with a pritt-stick. Check out the last B&R centre band photo for a prime example! :lol:

Anyway, I don't buy any of them to be honest. I get all my news of t'internet now and I know enough people who do subscribe to both BB and BBW to get copies if theres something I particularly want from an issue.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass
    :D
    Brass Band Magazines
    Brass band music
    radio
  13. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Band mags!

I do not get any of the banding magazines, since I just read them at university when I feel that I have a few minutes to spare, or should I say a few seconds in one or two of the cases!
    My parents subscribe to all the magazines because they're stuck in the outback of mid Wales and dont get first hand news and the internet is still a bit of an unknown quantity for them. My dad in particular likes to talk about bands, sometimes too much, and he is sometimes disappointed by the quantity and often the quality of news.
    In my opinion, the Herald is by far the best brass band magazine out there. Its about time that we realised that others do play brass instruments outside the four walls of our band rooms and often hearing about subjects from those with a better perspective on things can be very enlightening and often frightening for those who don't want to hear any truths. I like the depth that they have managed to have got in the magazine, articles by people like John Wallace, who has a wealth of knowledge and a person who works close with young musicians in the Scottish Academy. I have to admit that I'm not into the military bands, but still having knowledge of their history and contemporary workings is interesting and may help other young people to make up their minds on what to do with their lives in music, if they don't want to teach!

As for the other magazines, they are in danger of losing out in the near future because of the accessibility of news on web forums such as this and 4barsrest. Still, I think there are topics that have been discussed on here that would make interesting articles in the magazines. One of the main complaints i get from people is that the BB and BBW is always full of articles concerning certain bands or personalities. The magazines are always got articles on these people because they are actually doing something helpful. Its always nice to see the BBW rankings, although it was a bit puzzling to work out the marks system at first, and even now. In the last issue of BBW, I think, Bram Gay had a section in BBW, which was probably the most interesting part of the magazine and had some thought provoking ideas (I must say that I have not always agreed on everything Mr Bram Gay has said).

As for the centrefold I agree with the message that said that it wasn't the best, not only did the Brighouse picture have my ugly mug on there but there was a pasted head on someone else's body, I was assured by a source that it looked fine on computer!

I'm still looking forward to banding's equivalent of the Daily Sport, now there's a periodical that I would definitely buy! Surely a magazine with a proper centrefold! :wink:

14. James Yelland

I concur. The general tone of the comments here confirm what I have been thinking for a long time - that the BB and BBW need to review their content - it really is no good publishing 'news' items which have already become common knowledge via the web. Features-based journalism is what they ought to be concentrating on now - something the Brass Herald seems to have recognised.

BBW can be dreadfully dull. There is the occasional item of interest, but scarcely enough to justify the outlay. And the standard of writing is not particularly high.

Sounding Brass was indeed the best, and I still have my copies of it. Remember John Fletcher's Aunt Gertie?

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I don't subscribe to any although i fairly regularly get a look thru British Bandsman and am constantly disappointed with how dull they manage to make it.
    I get all the info i need off here primarily and 4barsrest.

16. Highams

Highams Member

Going back even further, the British Mouthpiece was a very good read, but then so was the BB in those days, but remember the Brass Band News ??????, terrible !

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

17. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I get BBW and Brass Herald.

I stopped getting the bandsman because most of the news are already reported on the various websites around and they don't have that many articles of substance worth reading in my view.

BBW is good although I do get annoyed by every review being good, can be a little bit PC at times. The 'Cackmeister Colliery Temperance Band (!) Cd would receive exactly the same recommendation as the latest release from Fairey or YBS - I have never read a bad review in there!

Brass Herald is an excellent read in my view - someone has already mentioned that they feel it a little 'high brow', although personally I am not sure how. It discusses aspects of brass playing like Bands, Military, Orchestral, Big Bands, Youth Bands and teaching of all ages. As a fan of the 'Peter Parkes Dyke' it has been great to read his thoughts from various stages of conducting the band. I think think that with brass music being on the wane in many areas, publications like this encourage a more open mind to new ideas and ways of promoting one another....that cannot be a bad thing.

John

18. jambo

jambo Member

I totally agree.

The internet has sufficiently killed off the need for a brass band newspaper for anyone with the internet. Plus, there are fewer mistakes on line. $bars rest can get away with launching speculation by saying that it is doing so, so it makes it all the more interesting.

The Brass Herald however is a fantastic read. Not bothering with weekly trivia, its content is in depth articulate and published in fantastic quality.

In all i'm well impressed! :wink:

19. James Yelland

I don't think demand for the blatts will ever be killed off - at least, I certainly hope not. As the current buoyant state of the book market demonstrates, there will always be a place for an actual product that you can curl up on the sofa with, and put on your bookshelf to be called your own property. And don't forget that not everyone has the wherewithal or the desire to get on-line. For myself, I prefer to get my news and views from multiple sources - that way, you get a balanced picture.

As for fewer mistakes on the internet .. well.. not sure about that at all. I recall that 4BarsRest have come in for quite a bit of stick in the past for not checking their facts before publishing, have they not?

Having said that, I have noticed recently an apparent change in 4BR's editorial policy - the letters column seems to have become much more uncontroversial in recent weeks. This is a pity, because the more caustic nature of the contributions was one of the features which distinguished it from its rivals. I would have thought that abandoning your USP was tantamount to commercial suicide - or at least, a step towards it.

20. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I don't subscribe to them ... the university does so I just read them when I go to the library! :lol:

21. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

At the moment I get the British Bandsman, Brass Band World, and the Brass Herald, although I am getting increasingly disenchanted with the Bandsman for the reasons already mentioned, and will probably let my subscription lapse when it comes up for renewal. My parents also pass on to me their copy of "The Salvationist", a Salvation Army magazine which (among other things) includes information on SA bands which often never seems to make it into the wider band press (albeit usually well out of date).

The Brass Herald is an excellent magazine, giving an insight into the wider world of brass-playing - jazz, orchestral, military, as well as brass bands. Highly recommended.

Brass Band World is more variable, but then it has been going for a while now, and you can't please everyone all the time every month. I can understand that BBW would "go easy" on a concert / CD review by a lower section / youth band - no-one would expect them to play to the same standard as, say, Black Dyke, for example, but if they played music appropriate to their ability it could still be enjoyable. I have noticed that, to start with, BBW used to judge leading SA bands by the same standards as leading non-SA bands and found them wanting, but in recent years, seemingly since they got (and published) a letter of complaint from a well-known SA cornet player, they have backed off here as well - maybe to hold on to SA subscribers?

22. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I subscribed to the British Bandsman for years,(1962-71 and 1989-1998) but frequently found it elitist and having no respect for the majority opinions of its readers.
    BBW is very good but who needs the expense when you can have instant news and discussion online ?
    I have read none of them for years.
    I know we have mods who maintain standards on here, but there is no "Political" censoreship or promoted agenda. (though 4bars can be controversial in the nicest possible way !!)
    Personally, I found the B. Bandsman to be condescending and out of touch with "Ground Roots" banding. I also suspected that they disapproved of contesting as a musical activity that demeaned us in the eyes of professional musicians and the Orchestral World.
    They would put the Areas Results on page four and lead the front page with a nebulous item about bands in Swaziland (Joke!)
    Anyway - RRRRrrraaannnttt - OVER !!