Brass Band Hooligans??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by StellaJohnson, May 10, 2009.

1. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Light hearted disccusion for a change

I was the other day watching a repeat of Danny Dyers Real Football Factories on Bravo and it made me wonder are there any brass band hooligans out there??

We all have rival bands and deep down we what to be better than them and show them up but has anyone taken this too far!!??:D
  2. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

The only time I have wanted to run and hide after a good result was when my O/H started a drunken chorus of 'You're French .... and you know you are!' in the direction of Jersey Premier in the bar after they came first and we came second at the area last year!!!

Lucky they took it in the spirit it was intended (I hope!! There were no fights, anyway!) ;)
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I've heard many 'banding hooligan' stories over the years, which may, or may not be true, but we strongly recommend that you think very carefully before posting such tales on tMP.

Proceed with Caution.

Trouble always happens in any hobby when people have too much ale...Ive seen several fights among brass banders and I m ashamed to say that I ve been involved in some in my younger days...most happened in the Championship section or fringe championship bands and in some cases it was the conductor that threw the first punch !:eek:
  5. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

they're all lairy bar stewards!!!
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

There's loads in Youth Banding. It's a veritable snake pit of violence and sabotage.
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I don't think there are too many hooligans in the tabloid sense of the word, but we are all of us in this strange hobby for the fun of it (yes, even me!). After spending weeks on end working towards a contest, it's only natural to enjoys ourselves afterwards. Especially if the contest involves a overnight stay somewhere exotic (like Blackpool or Skeggy!).

BTW, Leyfy, well done to I&N in your contest today! I hope my comments at your rehearsal last week were taken with a small pinch of salt. My band managed to get our recording done despite a shed load of stress, so we are very relieved. Hope to hit Norwich next year.

Back on topic, I think the old image of drunken bandsmen has fallen by the wayside somewhat with the introduction of stiffer penalties for drunk driving (quite right, too) and the fact that not many bands can these days afford to take a coach to contests and concerts. Couple that with the fact that, once off the coach, many bandspeople still have to get in their car to go home. I think we are (alcoholically at least) not the banders we once were.
  8. Al

Al Member

I can understand rivalry, friendly or perhaps otherwise.

One of our local bands used to play summer concerts for mainly visitors. A rival band used to often turn up and swagger about with their own band polo shirts, and generally act quite intimidating towards band and audience.Very Immature, but at the time I suppose they were probably mainly teenagers.

It is shocking that years later these guys are teaching youngsters themselves in their band, and now as adults their own attitude has little changed.

So, I would say rivalry can turn into hooliganism, even in banding.
  9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Cheers, I enjoyed the rehearsal the other night. Would good to see you guys at the East Anglian next year (and Matthews) to give us all competing a real run for our money!
  10. Al

Al Member

I was going to post my last one in the topic entitled "hard cases" :)
  11. Queenie

Queenie Member

I have to say i have never come across violence in youth banding but i do think that there is a lot of strong rivalry and a very very strong tension between bands. It's quite funny.
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Maybe it's gone soft in the last few years...
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

not hard enough???;)
  14. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Coming from Cornwall we have had a very vibrant youth banding scene over the last few years with Camborne,St Dennis,Mt Charles and St Keverne to name a few and ive seen nothing but fairly friendly rivalry,possibly being due to a lot of them playing in the Cornwall youth brass band together