Brass Band Gems not Currently Available on CD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pagliacci, Jun 17, 2009.

1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I hope so too Jim....perhaps another of the keys is to not saturate the 'market' too quickly?

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

We sometimes forget that Wilby is actually pretty well known (for a contemporary British composer) outside banding circles, which I think played a part in Naxos' decision making process; as with the Hyperion recording of Robert Simpson's band works they were able to cover two "niche" markets - contemporary music enthusiasts and brass band enthusiasts - with one release, which helps the business case for making such a recording.

There would presumably be a similar "double appeal" for recordings of works by composers like Judith Bingham, John McCabe, etc., who are well known and respected composers outside the band fishbowl. There wouldn't be such a strong case for recordings by composers largely unknown outside banding, like PLC or Gilbert Vinter, which I suspect explains why The Trumpets has never been recorded again.

The only way to make recordings of some of the gnarlier original band works a viable proposition is (and apologies if this is stating the bleedin' obvious) to increase revenue or reducing costs. Increased revenue could come from a higher CD price, grants from arts funding bodies, a pre-release subscription* or online download revenues. Reduced costs could come from bands/MDs doing it for free (since the bands at least are nominally amateur), limited releases, or online download release only (thereby cutting out the manufacturing element).

However:

a) I can't imagine a huge chorus of approval for increased CD costs
    b) the Arts Council wouldn't know a brass band if they had their collective ankles bitten by one and
    c) I can't imagine bands, and certainly not professional MDs (who have to eat, after all) doing it for free

So the remaining options look like limited releases, online/download only or some sort of subscription. I took part in a subscription a few years ago to raise money for a CD of contemporary British chamber music (one of the composers featured is an old mate) and the idea is that you invite people to stump up £10-12 in advance to fund the recording, with the promise of a CD to come or your money refunded if not enough is raised in total. The total release is limited to 1000 CDs to keep production/MCPS costs down. Once you get to the necessary total, which for a brass band CD of contemporary music I would guess is going to be around the £8k mark in total, you start the process.

3. KMJ Recordings

It all depends on who and what you choose in every avenue to put even a vaguely accurate ballpark figure on it....but it starts to put the break even costs into context even at the £8k estimate....

4. pagliacci

pagliacci Member

Thoroughly enjoyed playing the Prince Igor Overture arranged by Barsotti many years ago in the third section. Have just looked for that on CD and can't seem to find a current recording. Unless the passage of time is flattering the piece in my memory, I should have thought it was worthy of an outing on CD; I'd love to hear it again.

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Time to revive this thread. I was listening to Sovereign Heritage the other day on the Black Dyke reissue and that track was corrupted during CD production and is not the result of premature CD decay.

I have an idea though.....whether it's a good one remains to be seen. John Ward has put together a very interesting and well produced series of recordings for the Clarence Addoo Trust. What are thoughts on the next one being based on requests?

6. KMJ Recordings

Have you approached him directly with the idea, John?

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Hi Keith, not yet, I just thought of it and thought I'd ask for comment here first but I'll contact John now and let him make that decision. Thanks for the prompt.

KMJ Recordings likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice