Brass Band Gems not Currently Available on CD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pagliacci, Jun 17, 2009.

1. pagliacci

pagliacci Member

What are the brass band gems (pieces, rather than particular performances) that you get out in the bandroom, fancy listening to on CD, only to find it doesn't seem to be on any currently available recording?

(If we get enough enthusiasm for a particular missing gem it might even persuade a band to record it or a label to rerelease it!)

We've currently got the following in the pad, but I don't think (and will happily stand corrected!) that there is a current brass band recording available:

1. El Abanico (Javaloyes), a great march, lots of wind/military band recordings but can't see a brass band one;
    2. The Lonely Mill (H. Lancaster);

Also, what about Oceans (Goff Richards), the Desford CD "Making Tracks" had it, but is not currently available? It would be good to see either that CD rereleased or a new recording of Oceans.
  2. pagliacci

pagliacci Member

Update on my post above, I couldn't find making tracks on UKCD or World of Brass, but a search just now on Studio Music's site, it seems that Making Tracks may have been rereleased (pretty recently?). So that leaves just the two on my list for now: El Abanico and The Lonely Mill.
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Interesting use of the word 'gem' in the context of The Lonely Mill! I seem to remember it as an example of a very mundane concert overture which used to be hauled out every summer fete, not because of its quality but because of the ease with which it could be played on minimal rehearsal. Still, chacon a son gout, as they say.

However, in response to your question - I am amazed that after all these years none of our top bands has recorded what one would think would be a great commercial success, namely a decent digital recording of Gilbert Vinter's The Trumpets.

A remastered version of an old performance has just been released of course, but a new version played on modern instruments, without some of the rather vulgar vibrato which was considered good taste back in the 1960's, and featuring all six movements instead of only four would seem to be long overdue.

It's absence is even more baffling given Vinter's popularity amongst so many bandsmen, and that it is his only work of any real substance. Very frustrating too that The Fairey Band did not record it when they were recording all his other works for Polyphonic some years ago.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

5. David Mann

David Mann Member

Unconquered by Arthur Gullidge
    The Caliph of Baghdad?
  6. agentorange

agentorange Member

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

We've got a policy of not recording anything we know is illegal....this has made me think I should extend the policy to anything that should be illegal...
  8. pagliacci

pagliacci Member

next you'll be saying you don't want to record Instant Concert!
  9. KMJ Recordings

My (personal) list of things that should never make it to the business end of microphones is quite large....but there's definitely an audience so I'll continue to do as I'm asked..... ;)
  10. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Like Clog Dance, Keith!!!
  11. KMJ Recordings

More like any arrangements of Queen songs, Bowie songs etc etc (with all due respect to the arrangers ;) )....

As I said though, personal preference....and people out there like them....
  12. brassbandmaestro

Boh Rhap, i thought was arranged rather well(especially the bass solo!!). Fat bottomed Girls, Lol!!
  13. KMJ Recordings

That's entirely my point :rolleyes:

Anyway back on topic, I'd like to see the whole set of Alex Owen arrangements recorded in their entirety. Should be enought to put everyone off :biggrin: (even though they are - in the whole - fabulous).
  14. brassbandmaestro

KMJ. Would we see the likes of Grimethorpe, perhaps!! It would be really great to see Alexander owen's legendary asrrangement of Wagner's Parsifal recorded. isn't there some story about it actually existing. I am not sure.
  15. pagliacci

pagliacci Member

Now we're talking! I love opera and Parsifal is a particular favourite; if there is a brass band arrangement of part of it I'd love to hear it recorded (of course, I already have the Grimethorpe Wagner CD). The overture to Parsifal would be on my desert island (the DG, Karajan version, mostly because this was the first time I heard it as a student).

But I love the cheesy/pop stuff too if it's well arranged; that's what so fantastic about brass bands for me, the sheer breadth of repertoire that makes it into our pads (and hopefully into our CD collections!)
  16. KMJ Recordings

I've never personally come across it in the Bandroom, and I know pretty much most of what was there (and what ended up going 'missing').

Grimey would indeed be my Band of choice to see it done by, with Mr Howarth at the helm. Some of them are, of course, much better than others. They've already recorded (the Howarth extended) Tristan und Isolde and Die Walkure....others I'd like to see include the whole of Rossini's Works (Besses only recorded a 10 minute truncated version for Chandos in 1980, although there was an alternative shortened version that dated back to the 60s) and Faust.....several of the others may be of limited interest like Beethoven (historically this is important to Owen / Besses as it was the arrangement they used after they were banned from using Rossini and they mopped up with this as well) and Elijah - a couple of recordings of "Thanks be to God" exist but not the whole lot....but having only blown through things like St Paul's once or twice I'm not sure how 'good' they are. There are more lurking.
  17. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

'Nocturne' by Harold Noble is beautiful! I have a recording from NYBBS in Switzerland many moons ago but it's on tape and the sound quality has diminished somewhat - a mate subsequently put it onto CD for me.
    I think Fairey's may have once recorded this, but not sure - would love to hear this more inthe public domain. Anyone else know it? :D
  18. pagliacci

pagliacci Member

Another to add I think is Sovereign Heritage (Beaver arr. Wright); it was available on a Black Dyke reissue of the same name, but this disc is no longer available. I have this cd but the Sovereign Heritage tracks have corrupted (so much for the everlasting cd); I borrowed a friend's copy and the same had happened to his.

So it would be good to see a new recording or a reissue of this classic, unless anyone knows of it on a currently available cd.
  19. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Henry Geehl - Oliver Cromwell
  20. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Eric Ball - Sunset Rhapsody