Brass Band Equalizer

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by blue juice, Feb 24, 2011.

1. blue juice

blue juice Member

With a large amount of brass band music on my iTunes I usually have the equalizer set to 'classical'. I was wondering what people think is the best setting for brass music or whether indeed anyone has their own customised settings?
  2. Trum

Trum Member

Surely heavy metal - I mean, the instruments are made out of metal & some are quite heavy ;P
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

My iPod spends it's entire life on shuffle.

Sometimes I get a bit of Black Dyke... sometimes it's Black Sabbath....
  4. nethers

nethers Active Member

I find myself switching EQ settings all the time when listening to brass band recordings, mostly as the production standard often differs so much.
  5. simonium

simonium Member

If I have the misfortune of stumbling across a baritone horn solo, I find myself wishing that Dolby would work on another type of "noise reduction" that only works when the embarrassed-tone gets it's regrettable turn in the spotlight....

On topic, I agree with Nethers - there so much variety in what is deemed an acceptable recording the equaliser certainly earns its keep.
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There's an easy fix for that - just unselect any pieces you don't want to hear. That's what I do for all those pesky euph elbow-fests bands keep insisting on recording...... ;)

And back on topic, I find the same as Nethers - some recordings vary so widely in quality and volume its impossible for one EQ setting to suit everything. Every now and then when I've got nothing better to do I play with the settings for individual tracks that I listen to a lot, but usually I cba and just leave it on the default for everything.
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Why not just turn off the EQ altogether and hear the recording the way the producer/engineer (presumably in consultation with the MD) intended it to be heard ... ???
  8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'm afraid there isn't one. Different people perceive things in a different way, and have their own preferences for what they like and don't like....and additional factors that I'll mention further down.

This is one of those places where 'acceptable' possibly needs defining.

There are lots of things that influence that influence how a recording sounds.....the main ones being the Band itself and - to an extent much more significant than a lot of the brass bands I've had the pleasure of working with realise - the room you record in. Sometimes the circumstances one is given to work in dictate that the end result is a compromise which case things become, by definition, acceptable....

Getting things 'wrong' because you don't know what you're doing, of course, is different.... ;)

Indeed so. The same factors apply here as well. The volume of recordings is an interesting point. The dynamic range of a recording is affected by a host of things as well. First up - obviously - there's the performance of the band again. Secondly - and this surprises some people - the room has a huge bearing on it again. If the room's too small, for example, it'll saturate quickly and you'll lose the top end dynamically....and you run the risk of the sound just becoming hard, brash and nasty....and no amount of EQ in the World will stop that.....

The other thing, of course, is what the recording company / producer etc decide to do with the recording in post-production. Dynamically compress or not? This again is down to artistic and / or label considerations. Different people like and or do different things. OK, you get dynamic cues from recordings that are compressed, but personally I like to hear the difference between p and f and not just have it suggested.

Personal preference, sometimes....imperfect listening conditions and trying to compensate for the with EQ.....and so on.

I guess the bottom line for me is that not all bands sound the why try and make them generic?
  9. nethers

nethers Active Member