Brass Band Day - RSAMD

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by raytennant, Apr 20, 2007.

1. raytennant

raytennant New Member

Scotland's First All-Star Female Brass Band set to feature at the RSAMD Brass Band Day.

Programme details have been finalised and announced for the Brass Band Day at The Royal Scottish Academy of Music & Drama in Glasgow on Sunday, April 22nd, 2007.

3.00pm Academy Brass (Bryan Allen)
    (with guest soloist, David Thornton – Principal Euphonium, Black Dyke Band)
    A tribute to the late Sir Malcolm Arnold:

Railway Fanfare - Sir Malcolm Arnold
    Fantasy for Trombone - Sir Malcolm Arnold
    Fantasy for Trumpet - Sir Malcolm Arnold
    Requiem Paraphrase - Peter Meechan
    (David Thornton : Solo euphonium)
    Fantasy for Brass Band - Sir Malcolm Arnold

4.00pm James Gourlay with the Johnstone Band (Charles Keenan) and David Thornton, Euphonium
    The Art of Accompanying the Soloist

5.00pm Girls Allowed – Scotland’s All-Star Female Brass Band (Raymond Tennant)
    Featuring Scottish composers and arrangers….

Quick March-Jubilee! – Paul Drury
    Overture: The Abduction from the Seraglio – Mozart arr Tom Donaldson
    Three Delights – Bruce Fraser (Premier Performance)
    Dance Fever – Kenneth Downie
    Girl Talk – Neil Hefti arr Adrian Drover
    Greensleeves – Trad arr Alan Fernie
    Shine as the Light – Peter Graham

6.00pm West Lothian Schools Brass Band (Nigel Boddice)
    Folk music and Folklore:

Eye of the Tiger - arr Frank Bernaerts
    Scarlet Ribbons - arr Andy Duncan
    African Funk - Alan Fernie
    Cow Call from the GreenIsland - Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen
    Kalinka - arr Ray Woodfield
    In the wee Small Hours of the Morning – arr Alan Fernie
    Sun - Bruce Fraser
    Caravan - arr Steve Sykes

7.00pm Scottish Co-op Band (Allan Ramsay)
    Offering an insight to the set test for the forthcoming European Championships – Elgar Variations by Martin Ellerby.

Gala Concert:
    8.00pm The Kirkintilloch Band (Nigel Boddice)
    Haka - Philip Wilby
    Strike up the Band - arr Ray Woodfield
    The Armed Man - Karl Jenkins arr Tony Small
    At Ten to Two - Daniel Goodger
    The FairyGarden - Ravel arr Stephen Roberts
    West Side Story – Leonard Bernstein

A day of brass banding treats for everyone to enjoy – and all for FREE!

Ray Tennant
    tel: 0141 589 6466 mobile: 07860 102708
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It certainly looks to be a great day, and I hope it will draw the audiences it deserves. With an all-female band playing music by Scottish composers, though, you should really have found room for Thea Musgrave's "Variations for brass band" ;)
  3. markyboy

markyboy Member

Any chance of hearing the line up of players? Sorry I wont be there to listen , but if the likes of Morvern Gilchrist , Katrina Marzella , maybe even Tracey Redfearn are there that will sell a few tickets !
  4. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

sounds fantastic, but who in the band will get the drinks in afterwards?
  5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Is this the Eric Crees arrangement or a new one? Is this a legal free-for-all yet? And please don't say it's the old 'yelllow paper' arrangement................:eek:
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

From the tMP Copyright Fact sheet

Bernstein died in 1990.....and it's not easy to secure permissions.
  7. KMJ Recordings

...but I have to say with your arranging background Matt, you'd know that? :confused:
  8. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Cheers Keith - I did know that ;)

The reason I asked was I thought there was a load of arguments going around about West Side Story and the 'arrangements' that had been made and the Bernstein estate had 'refused all' !!!!

I am assuming, though, that considering we're seeing the Crees arrangement more and more these days means permission has been granted for the arrangement? Let's hope so because it is a cracking arrangement/adaptation/transcription ;););)
  9. KMJ Recordings

I do happen to know of another one that IMO is 'better' than the Crees but I'm not sure on what grounds permissions were granted.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It was definitely the Crees version of Westside Story played today even if he wasn't credited on the programme!

- for all concerned, the event was a terrific success with a good turnout, especially for the Girls Allowed performance. Some fine playing considering they had only rehearsed for four hours the weekend before. Jim Gourlay, Dave Thornton and Jim Hayes (cornet with Co-op) on good form with special mention to Pete Meechan's new opus Requiem Paraphrase. Co-op demonstrated that the set test for the European will be popular with the audience and they will be strong challengers considering their present form. Kirky surprised me with Philip Wilby's 'Haka'. Different but was well received. The whole day was organised as well as any other that they have had before and a lot of credit must go to Head Of Brass, Bryan Allen
  11. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

How was your own arrangement received by players and public, Tom?
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- no complaints ... but then again there was a wide range of items and styles for the audience/players to soak in during the course of eight plus hours! The Girls Allowed players who were at the contest the day before reminded me of the fact that it was getting played so it must have made an impression (... they coped very well considering all the flying semis and arpeggios they had to time/master during the short rehearsal time available)
  13. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Many congratulations to the organisers of this event held at the RSAMD especially Nigel Boddice, Ray Tennant & Bryan Allen.

A rolling programme of mini concerts & masterclasses were held throughout the day and it was all FREE!

This first ever brass band day was very well attended and hopefully it will become an anual event.

If you were there let the guys know how much you enjoyed it (or otherwise). I'm sure all kinds of feedback will be welcome.

For some reason the hall filled up for Girls Allowed's 1st performance!!

Already looking forward to next year Bod.
  14. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

I couldn't agree more with Francisalbert - it was a fantastic day - very informative (masterclasses) and entertaining. Excellent playing all round, and especially encouraging to hear some excellent playing from the young people of the West Lothian Schools Band!
    Thanks and Well Done to the organisers - please do make it an annual event!
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I especially enjoyed Jim Gourlay in full flow! Top man in every respect ... even if his Fife accent is getting stronger with time (with a touch of Swss still there as well!). He just loves music so much it must have become infectious with the audience as much as being engaging and humerous.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any official reviews of the brass day yet? You would think that some coverage of it's success would be in one of the band magazines.