Brass Band Contracts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mikelyons, Mar 15, 2009.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

A question for band secretaries here, I suppose. What kind of contract do you make when you book a concert? Do you include clauses to protect yourself against, for example, bad weather? Do you have a standard proforma contract, or do you make them up as you go along?
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Do they even have a contract or is it a case of "Yeah, sure, turn up, play, we'll pay when you leave."?
  3. Yam681B

Yam681B New Member

I think Hells Bones is pretty close to how most bands are booked to play. A fee agreed? yes probably, but not much else to cover bad weather etc. From personal experience its mostly done on trust. :dunno
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Thats an interesting question Mike. My own band used to rely on the 'trust' element, but on several occassions experienced difficulties when we arrived at the venues.

To eliminate these eventualities, we now send a comprehensive booking form full of information that the band require to successfully fulfil the engagement, and do not accept that booking until the form is completed in full, signed and returned.

The list is endless, but here are a few examples of what we include on ours.

How many chairs are required.
    A 'level' or 'flat' performing area (especially if you are playing outside)
    Location of band regarding other 'noisey' attractions that are regularly found at Fetes, Rallies etc.
    Allowing for inclement weather and stating that you will not perform in windy, wet weather conditions.
    Alternative indoor accommodation if the performance is cancelled due to bad weather.
    Availability of car parking spaces - off-loading facilities etc. etc.
    Duration and times of performances
    Special 'music' requests
    Supplying of PA equipment and electrical supplies
    Agreement of Fees

I look forward to reading what other bands do (or do not) include.

5. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Pretty much what Roger said for our band as well, we ask for a 25% non-refundable deposit just to cover ourselves if someone cancels on us at the last minute. We also ask for how long they want us to play (either 2x45 minute slots or 3x30 minute).
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

We now use a standard contract format when booking jobs. It protects us from last minute cancellations and lets the client know exactly what they're getting for the money.
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It's pretty much the same for us. We have a booking form that is signed and agreed by our secretary and the person booking us that covers most of the above (I'm not sure about alternative accommodation though) we also have some late cancellation charges. We started doing this a 6 or 7 years ago after we had a spate of people who didn't understand why we didn't want to play in pouring rain, or at 12:00 and then again at 5:30.

I can't believe bands still rely on verbal bookings!
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We (KSB) have a simple booking confirmation form, cover fees, times, facilities, wet weather provision etc. We don't cover the inclement weather issue but generally would deal with that at the event. Most organised events try to provide some alternative venues for bad weather and I can only recall one complete wash-out from the summer of 2007. It was a village fete and the forecast was pretty bad so they moved it to a local school - only people that were left out were the bouncy castle and us. Needless to say when the rain came we didnt play but still got the fee.

Silly start and finish times is always a no-no "please turn up and open the event at 10.30 and then could you finish playing about 4?" So we restrict our playing period start to finish to 2 hours (2 1/2 at a push and a bigger fee). Two 45 min spots with a 30min break or three 30mins with two 15min breaks.

Recently received a request to play at an outdoor Christmas event between 10.30am and 4.30pm - 6 hours! With travelling time and set-up etc that would equate to more than a days works - madness
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It's interesting to hear what people say about weather/cancellation clauses. We had a couple of jobs last year where we lost a lot of money because of flooding in the places we were to play in or through the job being cancelled altogether. What kinds of clauses do you have to cover loss of band income in such cases? PM me if you don't want to disclose your ractices on here - but it's something that should, perhaps, be standardised across the movement as a whole.

As for silly jobs, we either charge a ridiculous fee (so they don't then bother) or we say no thanks!