Brass Band Contest - Live on Digital TV - 31 July/1 August

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by dyl, Jul 22, 2004.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

The National Eisteddfod of Wales starts on the 31st July.

On Saturday 31st July, the following Brass Band competitions take place:

• 10.30am - Section 4
      12.30pm - Section 3
    Followed, on Sunday 1st August by:

• 11.45am - Section 2
      1.00pm - Championship/Section 1
    The whole of the Eisteddfod is broadcast live on S4C Digital - which is available throughout the UK.

To see a weekend of banding - live on tv - tune in next week!
  2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Good Luck next week Dyl...aye got to say pretty good coverage on S4c.
    Do you think the competition is open to other bands ( outside of Wales), I mean its a good source of publicity for any band to be on telly.
    I did hear a story that Brighouse went to the competition many years ago ( under Eric Ball ) and were beaten by Ponterdulais Band!!!!!! :shock: could be an urban myth...anyone know if this is true...????
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

All competing bands must be registered with the Welsh Registry Nick.
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Cheers Dyl.....
    still not much of a price to pay if you want to get on National Telly with a couple of million viewers.
    also you get a few 10 piece brass groups at the Chamber music competition.
    Good Luck with the competition mate.bring some silverware back up North... :D
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks Nick!

The ensemble competition is on Tuesday 3rd August at 12.15pm - don't think we'll be travelling down far that one! ;)
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

anybody know if S4c is availiable on cable? i went tthrought the lot the other dat and couldnt find it :oops: .
    is it just availiable on sky?
    good luck btw dude
  7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Here is an Idea...what about a TMP ensemble to enter the chamber competition , I think the prize money was pretty big ( over £300 ) and you dont have to be registered as a band....Genius.
    mods it's over to you...can we do one next year?????
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

oo, don't start talking about tmp bands and prize money in the same sentence... the ratio of practice time to random improvised solos (chris...) is not one which breeds winning performances unfortunately...
  9. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I play one goddamn note out of place and it hangs around my neck like an anchor! :shock: :lol: May I remind you Mr Lynch that our highest placing at whit friday was acheived when I was playing.... :roll:

I'm sure if a group of tMPers wanted to get together an ensemble and practice it up then I'm sure tMP would back them (for a share in the prize funds I'm sure).
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Well it would be worth considering , good prize money ( you only play against the usual string quartet and a clarinet choir ) plus chance for some publicity for TMP by getting on digital telly... :D
  11. Moy

Moy Active Member

Good luck at the contest Dyl.
    Hopefully I'll actually see it this time on telly. :wink:
  12. stopher

stopher Member

Hi Nick,

The ensemble thing sounds great - could actually get one going with all the tmpers around here for next year seeing as it is in the Faenol Estate - about 2 miles from my house!!! Prize money isn;t as good as the other brass sections though - I think its only £150 for 1st and then thats it!