Brass band concert in collaboration with electronic music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Joeb H. Grønborg, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Joeb H. Grønborg

Joeb H. Grønborg New Member

Hey there!

As far as I remember I read about a Norwegian band playing a concert in collaboration with electronic musicians/music a few years ago. I recall I read it on 4barsrest. Can anyone tell me anything about that concert - or help me finding someone that knows about it?

Thanks,

Joeb Grønborg, Århus Brass Band, Denmark

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Can you be a little bit more specific? Was it electronic music with brass band or a brass band with a rock group?

3. Joeb H. Grønborg

Actually, I don't remember but I think it was with electronic music rather than a rock group. But anyone that can provide information about a similar fusion is welcome.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The only event I could find relating to brass band & live electronics is this ...

http://www.fatbattery.com/victoria.html

More about the composer here

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There was a Stavanger concert in Bergen (30/09/07) that featured contemporary Norwegian works including a commission from Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen called Blue Phrases (for trumpet, brass band & live electronics) and MultiMORF for electric violin & band (Knut Vaage) which possibly has live electronics as well.

http://www.stavanger-brassband.no/Konsertplan_2008.htm

7. Joeb H. Grønborg

This was the one that I was searching for! Has any of you had experience with such kind of concert and how succesful was it? Do you have a recording of any of the pieces?

8. JR

JR Member

electronic music and band

Nothing new here - Besses played a piece with huge reel to reel tape at the side of the stage at the Harrogate Festival in 1974.

About a minute in the tape broke down. Ifor James just carried on as if nothing had happened - it was hilarious.

Later in the concert they were due to play Spectrum but replaced it (without telling the audience - it was a posh concert, see) with James Cook to give it a run out before the Open!

Several amusing things happened at the Harrogate Festival e.g. Harrison Birtwistle getting lost in his own piece amongst other things

JR

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Not too much repertoire in this department I know of. Dance Before The Lord (Philip Wilby) has some; Tim Souster's Echoes is well known and has had many performances (and is very accessible). Apart from that the only other piece I can think of off the top of my head is Songs of the Aristos by Robert Lennon. The Leyland Band broadcast it many years ago on the old Bandstand programme.

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's about typical for Ifor, ever the consummate professional :D

Now I realise that when we (i.e. Besses) did Dove Descending at the Open and the batteries in the ghetto blaster for the birdsong CD ran out it was all presdestined from 1974 :biggrin:

I quite like Echoes as well.....

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    concert
    music
    musicians
    band
    someone
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Only concerts I've attended with live electronics was at the Glasgow Academy a few years back when John Wallace became principal there. Scottish Co-op band played Tim Souster's 'Echoes' whilst John Wallace played another one of his works for flugel and pre-recorded tape. In some other rooms, there was John Kenny doing playing trombone with live electronics followed by a trumpet player playing some Stockhausen with tape loops which were synth modded. Only the Stockhausen sounded dated because of the technology used at time of writing.

I would contact either of the Norwegian composers or Stavanger to see if they can release any recordings of that concert, btw! Best of luck!

13. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

14. KMJ Recordings

Yep - Peter Bassano was a friend of Souster I believe.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

16. KMJ Recordings

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I must have met him when I was still at school ... the Equali Brass Quintet came to my neigbourhood in the mid-'70s as part of a UK teaching programme.

18. KMJ Recordings

Peter? Or Souster?

I first met Peter in 1987 I think. As far as I know Besses was the first Brass Band he'd conducted - certainly at a 'serious' level. My Dad met him on tour in Finland in 1986 when both Besses and Equale were in Lieksa, and (according to my fluffy memory) convinced him that it'd be a good idea to wag a stick at a Band. We did a concert with him (still Peter Goodwin at that time) and John Wallace at the Academy of St Martin in the Fields - fabulous programme including Blitz, Water Music and some stuff by Weber that Wallace brought down.

It was let down by a poor audience attendance due to (lack of) advertising IIRC - good job to do though.

I played on the Premiere of the Horowitz Tuba concerto - it was dedicated to my Dad who died early in 87 before it was finished....but I'd stopped playing before Echoes. That was premiered in the Labour History Museum on Princess Street in Manchester. Racks upon racks of Yamaha delays :D

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Peter ... I can't remember him directly but there were two Fifers in the quintet at that time ... John Wallace & Jock Miller