Brass Band Computer Game

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Steve, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

OK, so we have all noticed the similarities between our favourite hobby (banding) and football (If you havent noticed then there are loads of them). How about this for a computer game..........

Championship Brass Band Manager!

You take control of a band as either band manager or conductor and can either start at Faireys and make it easy or pick a fourth section band and work your way up. You put a price on everybodys head and a bank balance for each band and earn money by organising your own concerts / contests each year. You control the playing personnell, man or woman in the middle and everything else down to the librarian (no disrespect to the librarians) You pick the programmes, bus companies, sponsorships, supermarket for the beer and so on for each event. Each player has attributes ie tone, technique, reliability, nerves etc and you get a report for each concert to see how everyone is performing/progressing. Thats about it,if anyone fancies making this game then I am having a cut of the profits!!!!!
  2. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

That could be quite good actually!!! :wink: I'm not making it though!! :D
  3. bregeband1223

bregeband1223 Member

i like it

Cool idia please make it
    :lol: That would be such a cool game a bit like project rock stars
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

yep please make it - what a fab idea
  5. and you could organise band events and nights out like on the football manager games. When a player goes out the night before a big game (contest) and gets ratted and procedes to play badly, you can sack them. All you have to do then is scour the free agents list for months on end waiting for an interested player to sign up
  6. Steve

Steve Active Member

The more you think about it, the more you could actually do with this idea to make it into a really addictive game. Players could ask to leave as they arent happy with their position, you could set up a training band, insturments could break, music could get lost.....the possibilities are endless. Then we need another website to discuss tactics and line ups!!!!! Im really getting into this, it would be really addictive.
  7. leisa

leisa Active Member

ah wow!! i'd buy it definatly!!
  8. Di B

Di B Member

Funnily enough, I have thought about this myself being into the 'managerial' types of gaming.

One of the things with management sims if you are not careful is that there are too many stats to look at and not enough action for some.

Another side issue you could also look at involving is actually conducting at contests. If anyone played the classic game Parappa the Rapper you will know how this works..... on a contest stage you need to press the control keys in a timely manner with the music in order for your band to play the best it can.

It would be a great idea if you could get stats for personality, soberness(?!) and even band organisation (ie are they a 'doer' on the committee?)

This way you would need to have enough committee members in your band for it to run efficiently and those who were loud and liked to drink a lot would be unhappy in a sober quiet band etc etc......
  9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Fab idea!
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Championship Manager brass band game, based on Championship Manager football game.

Hmmm....I've often opined that brass banding is becoming more and more like a sport..... :)

One element that could be included is to have a virtual pub or bar (not the ones they're supposed to play!) for each band, which members can visit after rehearsals, or even before. For each pint a player downs before a rehearsal, his or her playing becomes more difficult to control. Not that this idea is based on any personal experience (ahem!)

Or how about a 'bribe the adjudicator' option?

:) :) :)
  11. Steve

Steve Active Member

I dont know about 'bribe the adjudicator' but you could at least build in settings showing what the adjudicators are looking for. I know that is making it less like the real thing but would make it a little more rewarding I feel. Then get in the players / conductor to suit the piece and the adjudicator and bingo, you're a winner. I can see this descending into another 'adjudicators suck' thread.
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

[ I can see this descending into another 'adjudicators suck' thread.[/quote]

I'd hope not, (wasn't my intention, just my warped sense of humour) but I can see this descending into a situation with people believing this game could actually happen! :wink:
  13. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Sounds brilliant.

You could have a conductor and a principal player having a major argument of 'artistic differences'. You could on the contest stage have to directly control players nerves e.g. stop the soprano player from playing Carnival of Venice when they should actually be playing the cadenza in Whitsun Wakes and stop the euph player going to the pub just before you're supposed to be in registration. You could tempt players from other bands with stuff like smarties or a new instrument, but it comes out of your budget.

Wow, the scenarios are endless. Where can I buy it????!!!!!!! :wink:
  14. Di B

Di B Member

You what?! Think you got it wrong... you have to ensure the euph player goes to the pub rather than registration surely?! :wink: :wink:

Its a shame that no company would ever think such a game would make a profit. tMP could have been used for some of the players (ie who is Beckams equivalent?!) and for sound recording of course... especially any scenes involving a bar!
  15. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

sounds pretty good. But definately won't be any good me makin it cos well i basically wouldn't know how!
  16. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

I remember about 7yrs ago coming up with a similar idea, one of which might have actually happened as i was discussing it with my dad (who happens to be a computer software developer! :D ) but, there wasnt enough time, and like this thread, the ideas are endless!!!
  17. Soppy

Soppy Member

If they have fishng and horse racing games why not Brass Band games.

Can you imagine it. EA Sports (for those not into games, they're like the biggest sports games producers) taking up the idea.

You could make recordings of certain pieces from different bands of different standards and have them in the game. Ie you could have the 2004 regional finals, with you section band playing your piece, and you could listen to it as the computer changes it a bit here and there.

What about a full national database of BB players going right down to the little kids who play 3rd cornet!
    Quality :D
  18. Well, how about this idea:
    Brass Cards!
    Are you tired of football players on your card? Then buy the all new brass cards. With such players as Roger Webster, Sheona White, Nicholas Childs and so on.

My idea is like the football cards with index over how good stamina they have, how good technically they are, their special technic (like drinking beer or playing with a great vibrato) and so on. In the front of the card, there would be a picture of the player, and the other side the info. Then there would be some special cards like band cards or concert cards, where pictures of the whole band playing, and perhaps winning a contest. These cards would have the highest value!

Could this be the new Pokémon trend?
  19. leisa

leisa Active Member

oh you can pick these up at contests and posters.....not that i have any but my old school has loads up in the music office of roger webster, brett baker they have ones of sheona too but i think she refuses to let them put it up cos she works there but they have posters of fodens players up too!
  20. Steve

Steve Active Member

Is it like Brass Band Top Trumps or are they just normal playing cards. I bet Steve Sykes' is wearing a bad shirt on his card!!!!!