Brass band composer injured in freak accident

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Apr 1, 2011.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

A famous brass band composer has been injured in a freak accident at his home earlier today.

Pat Lovely-Cropper, 35, was reaching for a box containing more than ten thousand semiquavers when it fell on his head.

“I keep all my semiquavers in a large box on a top shelf”, a rueful Mr Lovely-Cropper explained. He went on: “I had just set my metronome to 180 beats per minute and was stretching up for the box before sitting down to write the slow movement of my new work, when my hand slipped and I found myself being showered with tiny black notes. To make matters worse some of them were accented and they were very painful, I can tell you”.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has issued advice to all composers about the safe storage of notes following the incident. “We recommend that all notes are securely stored at no higher than chest level” said an HSE spokesman. “The only exceptions are pedal notes, which should be stored on the floor in a place where they cannot present a trip hazard. Anyone intending to lift the larger pedal notes, such as breves, should consider attending a manual handling course first to avoid the risk of back pain.”

Mr Lovely-Cropper, whose injuries are not serious, said “Ironically, I had given my latest opus, which is cast in three movements, the working title of ‘Crash, Bang, Wallop’. But many of my previous pieces have had quite unusual titles and this incident has inspired a more personalised idea, one which incorporates my initials and which portrays the box as representing ‘something higher’ (or ‘i’r, as we used to say during my entirely fictional childhood in ‘Zummerzet’); something to reach out for, something almost unattainable, something distant”.

The work will now be called “PL - ‘I’r Aloof’”.

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Superb.... kudos... *bows in acknowledgment* :)
  3. grausue

grausue Member

It's a great day for it!
  4. Mattytheshark

Mattytheshark Member

:clap: Fantastic!
  5. euph77

euph77 Member

Thank you! That has made a good start to my day!
  6. sjs

sjs Member

Love it..nice to see a bit of imagination!
  7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Serves him right, I say! I phoned Pat to check that he is OK and all is well apart from mild percussion.
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Is that like a pounding headache?
  9. sjs

sjs Member

Is he now a noted composer? :rolleyes:
  10. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Now that was funny :)
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Perhaps he now needs a long rest? :rolleyes:
  12. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

About 30 years hopefully

13. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hence the expression "couldn't carry a tune in a box"?
  14. bbg

bbg Member

So the next time we read of a "falling semiquaver motif" in a test piece discussion, we know how it came about.............