Brass Band Buizingen - 2004 - Ad Optimum

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by brassneck, Nov 1, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Just wondering if anyone has heard this CD yet? Peter Roberts guesting & playing quite a few numbers that's not on his 'Legends' CD. Also has the new Dutch Championship test, "Ginnungagap...seeming emptiness" (Johan Evenepoel)

http://www.brassbandbuizingen.be/

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Optimum
    Brass Band Buizingen
    Ad Optimum
    barsrest
    CD
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I bought this CD when it came out, but I don't think I'm qualified enough to give a full 4BR-style review. I can say that Peter Robert is playing very well (of course) and Ginnungagap is an amazing piece. The Dutch championships will certainly be something different this year...

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... Jan, don't be so modest! ;) What's the standard of band playing like? Do they compare favourably with our top recordings? Only found out about the band on their site. Johan Evenepoel is an excellent composer. How does the piece sound? I am seriously thinking about buying the CD as I enjoy listening to contempory music. (Last CD from continental Europe I bought was the excellent Graffiti by Manger Musikklag in 2002).

5. Jan H

The standard of playing is excellent I think.
    They have been improving their standard over the last few years. Last year they already became 2nd in the national championships (with Ginnungagap as their own choice piece) and a lot of people think (or at least have good hopes) that they can be a real challenger for Willebroek later this year (especially after Brass Band Midden-Brabant fell apart and will not compete this year).
    Buizingen also has a very good conductor int he person of Luc Vertommen, who makes lots of excellent arrangements (published by his own company Band Press, but the website seems to be down) and they also regularly commission new brass band works from Flemish composers (like Johan Evenepoel).

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I found a short review by Andrew Elliot (4barsrest) of the band and the test from the 2003 Belgian Championships...

"Buizingen had again drawn to play last in this section – and it’s probably a good job from the organisers’ point of view that they did. Their choice was ‘Ginnungagap….Seeming Emptiness’ by Johan Evenpoel, a Belgian composer who was in the audience. The re-setting of the stage took an age due to the unusual layout of the band seating and an array of percussion which defied belief. I have to admit to a certain partiality here, as I have been present at some rehearsals in the development of this piece (commissioned by the Buizingen Band) - I therefore knew (approximately) what to expect. For the rest of the audience reality was put ‘on hold’ for twenty minutes during the performance of a quite extraordinary new piece of music. ‘Ginungagap’ deserves an article to be written about it but this is not the place; suffice to say that the composer has used every trick in the book to produce something which amazed the audience and inspired this band into a performance which the adjudicators must have struggled to judge objectively on first hearing – the score is very complex. "

... I'm now convinced to buy the CD on the merits of the description above. Seems like it's going to be an exciting first listen for me ... that and Peter Roberts playing should make it worth it's money. :)

7. Jan H

I've seen a score of the piece. It starts with a full page explaining were everybody has to sit and were the percussion must be. Everyone has a different part, so there are for example 9 different cornet parts. Also a lot of percussion is needed, including two sets of timpani if I remember well (to get a stereo effect).

In our concert last weekend, we played the slow middle part, called "Melting the Ice". Very beautiful!!!

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

9. Jan H

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... got my copy last week and overall, a good CD with solid, confident playing on it. This is a band that, on disc, shows huge potential and we will be hearing more about them in the coming years. Peter Roberts just does what's expected of him. The Kyrie (Rustichelli, arr. Luc Vertommen) will be a popular number for him to play if he chooses to, but I found the Robert Eaves (aka Edward Gregson) Rhapsody a touch slower than I'm used to hearing it (metronome tempo used?). The major work by Johann Evanopoel is about 20 mins long and quite an experience. Unlike his wind-band works, it feels like he has met up with the humour of Derek Bourgeois in this one! It is a challenging work with a chorale which creeps into the last movement after the initial fugal introduction. It has a lot of modern ideas, effects and techniques but maintains somehow the idiomatic nature of UK brass band writing at it's core. Oh, and there is no hiding places for players either! Love to hear this at one of the smaller, high end contests (it's length is a concerning factor for contest organisers).

11. Jan H

Like I said before, all the cornet parts are separatly written out, so there are 9 different cornet parts...

For the Dutch National Brass Band Championships, which take place tomorrow (saturday), a cut is made in the piece so that it only takes 15 minutes or so... (the cut is even marked in the printed parts)

Also vast amounts of percussion are needed, so maybe that's another hurdle for the piece to be used at a contest in the UK... ?

OK, now I'm going to stop promoting this CD, unless Buizingen pays me a percentage of the revenues... ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Optimum
    Brass Band Buizingen
    Ad Optimum
    barsrest
    CD
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... quite sure your name isn't Johann? ;)

14. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

A bit behind, but now available from World of Brass too!

Click HERE !

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... a bit late! ;) (CD should sell quite well though!)

[post-edit .... just listening now to the cut (contest) version of Ginnungagap played in concert by one of the Dutch Championship bands (thanx for the copy) and length is cut from 24+ mins to just under 20 mins. Still kinda long but you forget that when listening to it. The work grows on you big-time. :) ]

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

One quick note about the band's conductor. Luc Vertommen. He is also an excellent arranger for brass bands and his One Hand, One Heart (from West Side Story) runs seamlessly into Alan Fernie's arrangement of America.

17. Jan H

There will be a CD released with the highlights of this year's Dutch Nationals. All performances were recorded by Mirasound ( www.mirasound.nl )

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think it was Mirasound who recorded the performance I have (for a test-run). The band's top man was missing from the gig, but the dep did a worthy job.

19. bubble2500

bubble2500 New Member

You're welcome, did you like it?

The recording was not done by Mirasound, but by an amateur with just a few mic's...
    Recordings of the Dutch Championships are made by Omrop Fryslân, and some of the performances have already been broadcasted at a local radio station.
    I doubt if there will be any official CD of the contest, over the past years only (sometimes illegal) personal copy's circulate.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

;) ... I could hear more of the backrow in the piece! Welcome aboard to the forum. Your Dutch comments will be very welcome on this site and your knowledge of bands is second to none.

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.. I was very surprised that Soli Brass got the result that they did at the Nationals given the performance at that concert. Anything go seriously wrong on the day?

22. bubble2500

bubble2500 New Member

Everyone (from the band) had the feeling the performance of Soli Brass at the contest was of a better quality, both in musical and technical performance. The recording of the contest still has to tell if that feeling was right.

The main thing that went wrong was the poor quality of acoustics in Martiniplaza.
    We couldn't share our beatiful intimate musical moments with the audience and aducators due to acoustic limitations.

Some bands used acoustics to overdo in dynamics, and did powerplay (blowing towards the audience) which is rewarded positively by the jury.

It can be said that Martiniplaza is not a theater worthy to accomodate a contest of this standard: real nice music can be made at stage but never reaches the audience...:-(

Beware of acoustics during EBK2005!