Brass band and wind band combined

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Borfeo, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Hi all

Just been informed by my band that we have a joint concert coming up in a couple of months with the Lowland band that's based in Edinburgh. 40 mins worth of joint material is required. Does anybody have some ideas on decent concert numbers that can be used in a mass band scenario of Brass and Military band. It's a toughie!

Any help would be most appreciated!

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Most concert band items can be easily adapted, with a little transposition (F horn parts, for example). Tenor horns can generally play alto sax parts, etc. I usually find it harder to adapt the other way. Stick with fairly simple stuff either way - too complex and it just won't sound right. Will you have any rehearsal time?

The biggest issue whenever I've been involved in one of these is the balance issue - a good brass band cornet section can usually overpower a large number of clarinets, and so on.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What's the occasion and venue? A better idea of what's being organised as a whole may help decide suitable pieces for audience and bands.

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Mark,

I suggest you look at Philip Sparke's material, as a lot of his pieces are arranged for both Wind Band and Brass Band. With some careful consideration of balance when flutes are playing the tune, I'd imagine most are workable.

The Four Noble Truths is one of them... ... ... :biggrin:

5. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Eek, don't mention that test piece to me, it wasn't my finest conducting moment ;-)

Well the wind band is from the army so they'll be rehe***** up no matter what. It's a joint concert, 30 mins us, thirty mins them then 30 mins together. Would just be the normal concert stuff to be used basically.

I know Sparkes stuff can be used on both, as can Peter Grahams and most of Harold Walters music. James Curnow too can swap over quite well.

Ideally I want to do Cry of the Celts, at least a couple movements from that.

I believe we have one joint rehearsal, possibly two! I've conducted wind and brass before so I'm fairly up on balance and transposition of parts, just really looking for some inspired programme choices!

6. NeilW

NeilW Member

Instant Concert and Hooting Annie both have wind and brass arrangements in the same key. (which is crucial - Holst's Suite in F isn't!)

Neil.

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Peter Graham's done a lot of work for wind/concert band as well as brass band .... not sure if they're in the same keys though

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sounded alright when they used them for joint items at the Gramercy concert and for Kapitol Brass ;)

Just a warning for those tempted to use saxes on horn parts etc: whilst they may be in the same key, their optimum registers are very different, and you could either find your saxes barking out their bottom couple of notes or the horns struggling up in the stratosphere (saxes play quite comfortably between C & F above the stave :eek: )

Another item that both wind & brass have used successfully, and that could be effective massed, is the "Battle of Trafalgar", originally written for one of the Mountbatten Festivals, and very topical this year.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  9. Imperial

Imperial Member

The norwegian composer Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen has made a very challenging piece called: "Den Evige Klangen" (The Eternal Sound) (2000) (MIC).

It's originally scored for 10-piece brass ensemble and windband but i played it on a summer camp in Jönköping, Sweden with a wind band and a brass band, with Ray Farr as conductor.

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Indeed Peter, didn't sound too shabby at the RAH

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    concert
    concert numbers
    couple
    material
  12. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I attended a concert at the RNCM several years ago, which included a combined performance by the RNCM Wind Orchestra and the Salford College Brass Band. Grande Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale.
    by Hector Berlioz.

Edit: Can't do the accent, I'm afraid Tim :oops:
    PB, Mod

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2005
  13. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Come on somebody, correct my spelling!

14. ju33les

ju33les Member

Think you need more than your spelling correcting!
    :p :biggrin:

And i can say that cos I'm yer missus!:p

15. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

When Croydon Brass and Croydon Symphonic Bands appeared at Fairfield Hall in 2000 the pieces for which they combined were....Suite from '' Independence Day'' and Marche Slave [Tchaikovsky].I think ''Independence Day'' was by David Arnold. Marche Slave was a rousing finish to say the least.
    Spanky

16. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Just keep the sax parts away from the horns cos theyre usually to high and keep Eb clarinet parts away aswell cos they go quite low well they do in the piece that im trying to play anyway.

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How about an opening march like 'Crown Imperial' (Walton) or 'Pomp & Circumstance No.1' (Elgar)??? Both can exploit the differences between woodwind and brass to good effect.

... has Philip Sparke written his 'Four Norfolk Dances' for brass band at all? Listening to it now, it has the historical charm of English folk-song writing whilst evoking the style of Malcolm Arnold in composition.

18. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Thanks for some great responses! I have the bandmaster calling me tonight to discuss initial ideas, so I'm comiling a short list as we speak.

Crown Imperial is an interesting one, and may drop some Sousa in too (Key allowing) Hoping to add in a major item in as well, possibly Cry of the Celts or soemthing like Suite in Eb by Holst. It will sure be interesting anyway.

Keep them coming though, it's interesting to see what can be used.

19. NeilW

NeilW Member

Be careful of the Holst stuff. Certainly his Suite in F is in different keys for Brass band and Concert Band (My son has got his concert band baritone part at home at the moment!). Eb could well be the same...

You could just give up and make the military transpose :p Pick something with lots of accidentals...

Neil.

20. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Not much point in calling it "Suite in Eb" then lol!

Don't worry, I'll be checking all keys and instrumentations before commencing!

21. jonford

jonford Member

Be careful, I know that Philip's arrangement of music is not in the same key for windband which I discovered when helping a concert band out a few weeks ago!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    concert
    concert numbers
    couple
    material