Brass Band Aid

Discussion in 'Brass Band Aid - news & discussion' started by Bob Thompson, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Stanhope Silver youngster forms an ‘all star band’ to ‘feed the world’

Briony Thompson, a 15 year old trombonist with the Stanhope Silver Band, which is based in Weardale, has embarked on an exciting and unique project to help raise funds for the ‘Make Poverty History’ campaign.

Acting on an initial idea by Stanhope’s conductor Steve Robson ( a long-time supporter of the charity ‘World Vision’ ) to record a fund-raising CD featuring four bands from the Durham area, namely Stanhope Silver, Ferryhill Town Band, Barnard Castle Band and Broughtons Brass Band, Briony took it upon herself to add that ‘something extra’ to the project. Her idea was to form a ‘celebrity brass band’, featuring some of the UKs finest banders, to record a brass band version of the Band Aid track ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas (Feed The World)’ for inclusion on this CD.

And so Briony set about on the daunting task of assembling the band!

The first telephone calls she made were to Roger Webster and Ian Porthouse, who Briony knew from a Summer School in Swansea. Both Roger and Ian have offered tremendous support for the concept and pointed Briony in the right direction in enlisting other brass band ‘stars’ for the line-up. As a starting point, Besson provided Briony with the contact numbers and e-mail addresses of al ltheir clinicians.

Obviously key to the project was finding a date that was suitable for the majority of the players – particularly considering the amazingly busy schedule these players have. The date eventually settled on was the 15th of May 2005. The enigmatic Richard Evans was then approached and was delighted to have a space in his diary and agreed to conduct the band. Richard is naturally very excited about the project, and in addition to the Band Aid track, Richard has been asked to select several other pieces for the celebrity band to feature on the CD.

The response received has been overwhelming – so much so in fact that players from all over the country are now contacting Briony directly asking to take part in the project! In addition to Roger and Ian, some of the players confirmed are Peter Roberts, Jim Shepard, Russel Gray, Richard Marshall, Mark Wilkinson, Lesley Howie, John Doyle, Katrina Marzella, David Childs, Mark Frost, Steve Sykes, Joe Cook, Matt Routley, Shaun Crowther, Danny Sinclair.

Alan Fernie was approached to arrange the track – and clearance has now been granted from the Band Aid trust for this arrangement to be made.

The recording will cost in the region of £5000 – a target which is well on the way to being reached – with all four local bands involved in the fund-raising. Of course any financial help is appreciated, so if you are interesting in contributing towards this, please use either of the following contact methods:

• E-mail: (please use 'Brass Band Aid' as the subject of your email)

• Telephone: 07786 026966
    • Private message on tMP: Briony or Bob
    • or post a reply to this thread.
    Steve's 13 year old daughter, Sophie, who plays Flugel Horn with the Stanhope Silver Band, is also now heavily involved i nthe project, and is well on the way to raising £1000 via raffles etc.

Everyone involved in arranging this project is extremely proud to be involved, and with the recording set to take place in County Durham on the 15th of May the excitement is building up nicely! And judging from some of the responses received from the ‘stars’ taking part, they are all also looking forward to the occasion:
    “I believe your project will not only benefit the 'make poverty history' campaign, but also contribute greatly to raising awareness of the arts and brass band playing generally in your community” David Childs

“I think it's a fantastic idea and I'm delighted to be asked to partake in the project!” Katrina Marzella
    The CDs will be priced at £10 each and it is hoped that the initial stage of the project will raise in excess of £10,000 for the charity. However, it is hoped to replicate the project around the UK with other bands using the celebrity recording on their own CDs. Given the contacts already established, we see no reason why the project could not be replicated internationally.

Briony would like to thank everyone who has offered their services (free of charge too!) and also to those who were unable to help as a result of prior commitments, but passed on their messages of support for the project. She says "This project belongs to all brass banders and we have the opportunity to make a real difference for the Make Poverty History initiative".

Further details will be published as and when it comes available. In the meantime, if you have any questions please feel free to pm me, or post them in this thread, or use any of the contact methods listed above.

Other sources of information:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2005
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Everyone at tMP wishes to congratulate all involved in this superb initiative, particularly young Briony – we feel this is an excellent and worthwhile cause to support – and having someone like Briony take it upon herself to take this enormous project on, shows the quality and enthusiasm we have in our grass roots banding. With people like her around the future of banding in this country is in very good hands indeed.

Of course we are all aware that the main point of this venture is to raise awareness and cash for the ‘Make Poverty History’ campaign, and we at tMP would therefore like to offer our full support to the project – starting with a banner ad campaign here on the site, coupled with regular updates on the stages of the project, band, line-up etc. and giving everyone the opportunity to offer their support for this excellent charity.

Let’s all get behind Briony, Steve and Bob and make this unique opportunity a success for the people in need.

All the best to you all.
    John and tMP Team
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Excellent stuff Bob - all the best with this venture - and please keep us informed of any latest developments.
  4. Steve Robson

Steve Robson New Member

Brass Band Aid - Lets Make it Count

:clap: WELL DONE BRIONY. You had a simple, but brilliant idea, and followed it up with enthusiasm and a lot of hard work.
    This started out as a small scale project to give 4 local bands something interesting to do and raise some money for World Vision, with the added hope that we may make a lot of people think about the "Make Poverty History" campaign. It seems that you have sprinkled "Gold Dust" on the project and made it into something that now belongs to the Entire Brass Band Movement.
    A big THANK YOU, firstly to Roger Webster & Ian Porthouse for believing in Briony's idea & encouraging her to go on, and then to all the "Superstars" who will be giving up their day on 14th May {Local bands} & 15th May {Celebrity Band}, to make the "Brass Band Aid" recording: I can't find any words of sufficient magnitude to say how much your support is appreciated.
    We were all delighted with how Briony's "Celebrity Band" came together, but none of us was really prepared for the surge of goodwill that has come from all corners of the banding community, to ensure that our project goes ahead and is well publicised. We are totally humbled by the amazing offers of support. I won't start to list any names now, as the list is so long, and growing. So for now, THANK YOU ALL.
    I would like to say a special word of thanks to everyone in the "" team for providing this forum. We look forward to working with you to ensure that "BRASS BAND AID" really makes a difference to help "Make Poverty History".
    Everyone reading this is a very lucky person. We are all part of the family that is the Brass Band Movement, and can generate so much pleasure for ourselves and others. A window of opportunity has emerged for the whole band movement to make a HUGE contribution, both by raising a healthy sum of money for World Vision, and more importantly, by showing that we care.
    These opportunities don't come along too often in life, so lets make it count.

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far, and if you want to become involved, please get in touch. :p

Steve Robson - Conductor of "Stanhope Silver Band" - Supporter of "World Vision"
  5. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

What a fantastic idea! :clap: Best of luck with it! And keep us all updated about release dates etc. :)
    Dawn x
  6. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

fantastic, if theres anything i can do, let me know.

kel x
  7. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Brass Band Aid Celeb Player list so far

Hello folks,
    Just thought you may be interested in the Brass Band Aid player list so far, its a bit tasty to say the least! here we go;

Richard Evans

Do they know its Christmas Arranger,
    Alan Fernie

Roger Webster, Ian and Leanne Porthouse (when she pays her £50! :eek:)) Jim Shepherd, Richard Marshall, Russel Gray, Mark Wilkinson, Andy Holmes, Chris Turner( to be confirmed)

Sop. Peter Roberts

Leslie Howie, Mark Armstrong, Sandy Smith (to be confirmed)

John Doyle.

Katrina Marzella, Jim Thompson

David Childs, Glyn Williams (to be confirmed)

Steve Haynes, Gary Reed, Mark Frost, (Awaiting response from Christian Lyndberg!

Steve Sykes, Shawn Crowther, Jo Cook, Danny Sinclair, Matt Routley,

Bob Stevenson
    Sarah Burns
    still awaiting response for 2 more.

I'm pleased I'm not sorting the front row cornets out!!
    If I've missed anyone out, please forgive me, as Briony will no doubt kill me!!
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Tasty!! Are sure you haven't slipped some sneaky transfer forms in with all the organisational material?? ;) This a great initiative, I'll certainly be buying the CD when it comes out.
  9. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

Absolutely fantastic idea, well done to all those involved.

Is this going to be a commercial release or are we only going to be able to buy a copy from certain places? Please keep us all posted as to when this fantastic CD is going to be available.
  10. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Bass Band Aid

We have a few irons in the fire as it were in terms of sales, but we will keep you posted.
    The project is expanding considerably, in addition to the CD, and everyone will have the opportunity to contribute over the course of the coming months.
    We hope to bring you news of these developments very soon so keep checking in.
  11. briony

briony New Member

Hey TMP!
    As everybody seems to be saying the thankyou's for me I just thought i'd come on and do it myself! It really is looking to be a fantastic success and that is down to all the people who have and are continuing to put their time and effort into it.
    Thank you!:tup
    Briony XxX
  12. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Good luck to you Briony, it seems like a huge undertaking for someone so young! It's such a worthwhile cause when you think of all we've got compared to those unfortunate people whose circumstances do not allow them to scrape even the most basic of livelihoods.

I'm sure that the recording will be a great experience, and you should be so so proud of what you've managed to do! :clap:
  13. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Brass Band Aid player update

Hello everyone, just an update re player list.
    Sandy Smith and Glyn Williams have confirmed their participation, outstanding!
    And apologies to Bob Stephenson, (Reg Vardy),
    Briony thrashed me with a cornet player for speeling your name incorrectly!!
  14. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Update re Brass Band Aid

Hello everyone,

Sorry we haven’t posted anything recently re Brass Band Aid, however, it’s been a tad busy to say the least.
    As you now know, this weekend is the recording session for the 4 local bands and the Celebrity Band.
    Everyone has confirmed their attendance, and is looking forward to a productive but fun weekend.

There have some exciting developments in respect of the project in terms of support and sponsorship, not least of which from TMp of which we are all very grateful
    I will update you on the other developments after the weekend.

The 'Do They Know Its Christmas' track arranged by Alan Fernie is now complete. He rang the other day asking how many percussionists Briony had sorted for the recording, 3 was the response............Oh said Alan, you will need six!!
    The score indicates an 'African Township Style'.......can't wait to hear it performed.

Richard Evans has given us the music he wishes to use for the celebrity bands recording and as you would expect from Richard, there's quite a range!..... not giving too much away, I do believe Peter Grahams 'Amazonia', from Windows of the World is on the list along with some other crackers!

Please don't forget, if you would like to get involved in Brass Band Aid, please contact us, our details are posted on this site, you can access our bands website for contact details and additional information by typing in this is a temp link for the pending Brass Band Aid site.

Cheers Bob
  15. groovy

groovy Active Member

Just seen this thread! Can't wait to but the CD. What a fantastic idea and it's brilliant that so many top players have gone out of their way to support this :D
  16. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Hello everyone,
    Well the first days recording is over, and boy what a mammoth session, 3 bands!!
    The day went very smoothly, well, almost, apart from the odd hiccup, the usual stuff; valver player’s instruments dropping to bits.........sliders never present these problems! No bias here of course!!!

One or too of the celebs turned out for a blow a day early, it was great to have Joe Cook from Black Dyke and Jim Thompson from Reg Vardy, playing with the local bands. (If you both practice a little more we may even consider signing you up.......!)
    Many thanks to Alan Beaumont to, who has stepped up to help the local bands and to Join the celeb Band tomorrow for the 6 part percussion in Alan Fernie's arrangement of Do they Know its Christmas.

Our web master has also been very busy, I see he already has a few pictures of the day on our website, if you want a look use the following link, they are in there somewhere, probably in the photograph section.
    Ok, I'm knackered now, more playing tomorrow, so speak soon.

Do you want to get involved?, e-mail us and find out how your band can take part in Brass Band Aid.
    Bob and Briony
  17. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Pictues from the celebrity recording

Yesterdays recording session with the celebrity band was nothing short of awesome. We will provide a fuller report when we get our breath back!
    There are a few more pictures of the celebrity recording sesion on our web site if you would like to check them out.

18. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Dont forget to sign our visitors book if you pop in.
  19. briony

briony New Member

Brass Band Aid the celbrety recording

As you may know the recording is now finished and we are awaiting a copy of the edited version prior to it being sent off for manufacturing.

We were extremely delighted by a wonderful offer of support from Trevor Caffull, managing Director of SP & S, who agreed to broker with ICC Dupilcation in manufacturing the first 3000 CD's free of charge in addition to paying the fee’s of the sound engineer.

Sp & S in association with Doyen Recordings Ltd will also edit and master the CD free of charge. Now you just cant get much better than that! :tup

The support for the project has been, without question, overwhelming. We would also like to thank Tmp for their continued support to, you have been superb.
    Music publishers also came to the rescue a few days prior to the recording, as we were still unable to track down a few sets of music for the day. However, Just Music, Kirklees Music and Gramercy donated copies free of charge!
    Mark Wilkinson of, turned up at a days notice and took some amazing photographs of the days events, check them out on his website.

The recording day itself, well, it was simply amazing; imagine a Brass band where the third cornets are Chris Turner, BAYV, and Jim Shepard! A conductors dream, Need I say more?

At the pre recording there was much discussion about, who would via for the principle seat! Well there were no egos on show in this band, everyone of the cornet players were cueing up behind the 3rd cornet seats!
    I’m not sure if this was for an easy ride on the chops though! (only kidding peeps).
    Richard Evans, well, he was just a marvel, bringing that special magic to the event.

:( Sadly, Roger Webster was unable to attend as a result of illness, but I would like to thank him for his support by way of adding credibility to the project along with Ian Porthouse. (Roger, you do realise that we will have to have you thrashed at summer school in Swansea! :biggrin: ).

Alan Fernie’s eagerly awaited arrangement of ‘Do they know its Christmas’ was just wonderful. For me it was one of the best of many highlights over the course of the weekend. His arrangement really captured the spirit of the whole project; I can’t wait to hear it again on the CD. :clap:

Is there more, of course there is, the project won’t end in the production and sales of the CD. The project is set to develop even further and every band can play a role in its success.

Please get in touch for more information.

Thank you to everyone who has taken part and to everyone for their continued support in the future of ‘Brass Band Aid’.

Bye for now
    Briony. :clap:
  20. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks for the update Briony - sounds like a great day was had. It's so refreshing to see the whole banding community come together to support this initiative. Long may it last.