Brass at the Guild. Who's playing?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Boarshurst, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Boarshurst

Boarshurst Member

With the Brass at the Guild Contest at the Guild Hall Preston 8/2/09 being only 1 month away, i was wondering which bands are playing?
    In what section?
    Will you be airing the Area piece?
    Who are the Adjudicators??

We will be testing the area piece in the 3rd section. 1st contest since Tameside last year!!!!! Scaaaaaary.

Best wishes to everyone entering.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Boarshurst
    Greenfield
    Guild
    Oldham
    Soloists Prize
  3. floppymute

floppymute Member

I've heard that the number of entries in the top section is huge!

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

We will be there in 3rd section - I believe Peter Roberts is adjudicating.

Not playing the Area piece - been criticized too many times there for doing that!

Nice to see it's a pre-draw too, there really is naff all to do in Preston on a Sunday. Apart from go for a drink, obviously.

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Pre-draw - fantastic. I'm taking Wetherby, it'll be my first visit to the contest. Looking forward to it, I know in the past bands have complained about getting a poor deal when warming up the area test piece, but i'm doing it anyway. As we'll be having a Pro in for the Area, i wanted to make sure the piece is properly ready for our Pro. . .

Anyone know what time the 3rd section starts?
    What rehearsal/warm-up facilities are around?
    What the Hall's like?

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

We're going in the 3rd, but as we're nationally 4th section we won't be giving the area piece a run out! Since it's own choice I won't reveal what we're playing (and strictly speaking neither should anyone else) but the fact that I suspect several bands will be playing The Once and Future King raises the embarassing spectre of getting a beating from a band or bands playing my own piece!! Rest assured that my lot will therefore be thoroughly prepared... :D:D:D

Garry, as far as I can remember we're in the Charter Theatre (rather than the Guild Hall itself) which is a typical theatre - pros arch, carpets, curtains/flyspace above, pretty dead, everyone feels a bit isolated. Generally you sound better than you think although you need to try and make sure the basses aren't just blowing up into the flyspace. Usually the 3rd starts mid morning, after the 4th which is usually first thing. Couldn't give you a time though. I don't think there's anywhere onsite to have a blow/warm-up so you might need to find a friendly Preston based band to lend you their bandroom.....

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I will be going to listen

8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Blackley are going in the 4th section...hopefully we can pick up where we left off in 2008 and get in the mix :) 4th Section is in the Guild Hall again this year, so that should be good, I don't know who the judge is though, I'd assume Peter Roberts if he's doing the 3rd section.

Good luck to everyone...have fun :D

9. Posh

Posh Member

Haslingden & Helmshore will be competing in the Second Section but we haven't yet decided what we're playying.

10. andyp

andyp Active Member

IIRC Section 3 starts at 10am.

11. andyp

andyp Active Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Boarshurst
    Greenfield
    Guild
    Oldham
    Soloists Prize
  13. stopher

stopher Member

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

So have we - but according to 4br the closing date for entry is 16/1/09??

15. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Freckleton are there in the top section. Not playing the area piece!

12pm start though? How many bands!!!???

16. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Thanks for the info guys - i'll get looking for a room. We've only just entered how long have you guys known your draw?

17. andyp

andyp Active Member

Must have come sometime this week, got told on Friday!

18. cookie101880

cookie101880 Member

Oldham will be playing in the 2nd section.

19. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Sovereign Brass will be there. When I checked last night our Sec. advised it was not a pre-draw but that the draw will be made at 10:30 on the day of the contest.

It might be a very long day - hope we're all playing short test pieces.....

20. bigcol

bigcol Member

Backworth are there in the fourth section.

Mod: Test piece edit. ;)

21. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Think the mods will pounce on that one Colin...don't think they like it when you say what you're playing ;).

Congrats for Butlins and i'm looking forward to competing against the band, although no quarter will be given! :p

The details of judges, times etc are on 4barsrest.

22. bigcol

bigcol Member

Ta Andy it'll be fun - we really enjoyed last year and hope to get a better result than last time (we still don't know where we came!)