Brass at its Best! - Black Dyke Soloists, Boscombe SA, Woodfalls Band - 10 July 09

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by tinytimp, Jun 22, 2009.

1. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

On Friday 10th July, Woodfalls Band and Boscombe Band of the Salvation Army will welcome top-class soloists Richard Marshall and David Thornton to a Gala Concert, which will be held at 8.00pm at Boscombe Salvation Army Hall, Palmerston Road, Bournemouth.

As a performer Richard Marshall has travelled to America, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand and several European countries, and performed solos in the world’s finest concert venues such as Sydney Opera House and Carnegie Hall. He became principal cornet of Black Dyke Band at the beginning of 2006; a position that is regarded as the "highest prized seat in banding".

David Thornton was appointed as principal euphonium of the Black Dyke Band during July 2000. 4barsrest.com, the Internet magazine commented "...it was the position he was destined for…he has made it his own with a series of concert and contest performances that have been invariably breathtaking."

This is set to be the brass event of the summer! Woodfalls and Boscombe Bands, their conductors Dr. Nicholas Childs and Dr. Howard J Evans and the soloists will entertain the audience with a mixture of brass band classics, showpiece solos and contemporary works by composer of the moment Paul Lovatt-Cooper.

Tickets for the event are already selling fast. In fact it is proving so popular that there will be people travelling from as far afield as Switzerland, New Zealand and Vietnam to be at the concert. Reserved tickets in the balcony are priced at £8 and can be purchased from Derek Kittle on 01202 420410. Unreserved tickets on the ground floor are £5 and are available from Sarah Lewis on 0118 9821362 or online at www.wegottickets.com/event/51094.

This is a particularly important event for Woodfalls Band. Unfortunately due to the difficult economic climate their long-term sponsor South West Trains has withdrawn its support; this concert will hopefully mean that they can secure the financial future of the band. It will also be an opportunity to re-launch themselves without the South West Trains name, including a brand new, specially designed logo.

David Thornton and Richard Marshall will perform courtesy of York Instruments, and will be part of a trio of York artists performing at the concert, along with John Starkes, solo euphonium of the Boscombe SA Band and 2nd euphonium of Woodfalls Band.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    4barsrest.com
    Woodfalls Band
    Richard Marshall
    Black Dyke Band
    South West Trains
  3. fartycat

fartycat Member

"Rarely have I heard and seen such a reaction to a soloist who must rank as the finest cornet player in the world" - Tim Mutum of the Ipswich Charity Concert Committee on 4BarsRest about Richard Marshall. Come and hear what he's talking about!

4. fartycat

fartycat Member

There are only a few tickets left for the balcony, priced at £8.

But you can also listen to the superb Richard Marshall and David Thornton for just £5!

5. fartycat

fartycat Member

Beat the crunch with Brass!

Where else could you hear a trio of top musicians, at the top of their game, live for just a fiver? Friday 10th July sees some of the best of brass players in the country descend on Boscombe for a gala concert and tickets for the exciting event are priced at just £5.

World-class soloists Richard Marshall and David Thornton and conductor Dr Nick Childs have just been crowned English National Champions with the famous Black Dyke Band. The trio will be in action at the Boscombe Salvation Army Hall this weekend, together with the Boscombe Band of the Salvation Army and the Salisbury based Woodfalls Band.

As a performer Richard Marshall has travelled to America, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand and several European countries, and performed solos in the world’s finest concert venues including the Sydney Opera House and Carnegie Hall. He became principal cornet of Black Dyke Band at the beginning of 2006; a position that is regarded as the highest prized seat in brass banding.

David Thornton was appointed as principal euphonium of the Black Dyke Band during July 2000. He is regarded as one of the foremost euphonium players and teachers of his generation.

Friday’s concert conducted by Dr Nick Childs and Boscombe Salvation Army Bandmaster Dr Howard Evans, is a celebration of top quality brass music Bands and soloists will dazzle and entertain the audience with a mixture of brass band masterpieces, showpiece solos and contemporary classics.

Tickets are available on the door, priced at just £5.

6. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

We had a terrific massed band rehearsal last night in preparation for tonight's concert - it is sounding really good and definitely not to be missed!

7. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I`m glad rehearsals are going well for you. Bournemouth and Verwood are also performing this weekend so its quite a brass band fest for our locals.

8. fartycat

fartycat Member

Cheers, sounded amazing last night - a bass section to die for!

I am coming to the verwood one tomorrow. Should be good.

Incidentally, I sent an email to your band about a joint concert with Woodies sometime. Did anyone get it as I never got a reply.

9. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I don`t think we got that email. I`m on the committee and we would have been asked what we thought and our Chairman is a stickler for good manners so you would have got a reply. If you are serious come and chat in the bar at half time.
    ps our MD is away so not our usual conductor /or concert though I hope you still enjoy it (or are you depping as I know 3 of our regular percussionists are away tomorrow?

10. fartycat

fartycat Member

No not been asked to dep but will if you want. My other half is playing in the B band.