Brass 125 - A Celebration!

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by John Brooks, May 25, 2008.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I just arrived home from Hamilton where I attended the above concert, celebrating 125 years of banding in Canada. Taking part were the two longest serving bands in North America, Meadowlands (formerly Hamilton Temple) and London Citadel. Guests were Mark Ridenour, Assistant Principal Trumpet with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Joe Caddy, actor and vocal soloist, also from Chicago.

Both bands were on good form with the host band excelling in Victory for Me (Wilfred Heaton) and Celebration & Praise (Dick Krommenhoek) in particular. London Citadel presented a new work (to me anyway) from Martin Cordner - Day of Freedom; this was great music, featuring the song Midnight Cry and was a thrill to hear. Overture for a Joyous Occasion (Morley Calvert) was also appreciated by the audience.

The united bands played well and featured Temple 85 (Norman Bearcroft); Army of the Brave (George Marshall) which saw the bands switching between sections of the music as historical pictures of each band were projected. This was an excellent idea that came off well. A scintillating new march from Len Ballantine - Great Lakes Misson - was written for this event and received a fine first performance; My All Is On The Altar (Morley Calvert) and God Be With You in a new arrangement by Noel Brooks (principal trombone with London Citadel) were also well played.

Joe Caddy got the program off to a fine start by replicating a "first band practice", in which, from the first out of tune and wrong notes, he quickly whipped his little band into shape. He was later heard to good effect in some historically based items including The Long Trombone; Down The Street; and William Booth Enters Heaven.

Mark Ridenour proved to be an excellent choice as guest soloist. He presented Heavenly Gales, Rhapsody on Negro Spirituals, I'd Rather Have Jesus and, on flugel horn, His Eye Is On the Sparrow.

This was a great evening and it was apparent that a lot of hard work and original thinking had gone into the planning of this event. Well done! This was indeed an evening of Celebration - Soli Deo Gloria!
    Last edited: May 25, 2008