Brass 10

Discussion in 'Sponsor Announcements' started by WorldofBrass.com, Jan 7, 2005.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Brass 10 is an award winning 10-piece brass ensemble that has been working together since 2001.
    Brass 10 has built up an enviable record of competition success, winning the Royal Overseas League Ensemble Competition and Miller Trophy for its excellence in performance and the Philharmonia Orchestra / Martin Musical Scholarship Fund Outreach Award for its work in education.
    Brass 10 has also won support from South East Music Schemes and a residency at the Royal College of Music as the Leverhulme Group Junior Fellowship Ensemble.

The members of the group are as follows;
    Trumpets; Joe Sharp, Paul Munday, Adam Juckes, Chris Moyse
    Horn; Katherine Dawkins
    Trombones; George Bartle, Amy Wetmore, Andrew Cole, Dave Eaglestone
    Tuba; Alex Redpath

They have just released their first CD and it is available now from World of Brass.
    Click HERE for track list and to place an order.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  2. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Here's a review from The Trombonist magazine;

Sixty-two minutes of great entertainment, the debut recording from this young 10-piece ensemble is sure to delight even the most hardened brass enthusiast. From the start I forgot to listen to the "brass playing" and just settled down to enjoy the obvious enthusiasm and passion for music that these players have.

A well-devised programme sandwiches two relatively new works for 10-piece between some familiar favourites. After the stunning Fanfare for 10 Brass by Andrew Trent-Davies, we hear Gabrieli Canzon primi toni a 10, Bach Prelude and Fugue in D Minor and Grainger Shepherd's Hey. Despite the familiarity of these pieces, Brass10 make them sound fresh and interesting, with arresting programme notes to keep you amused as you listen (e.g. " A lifelong vegetarian, Grainger's interest in Folk music was inspired by his lifelong friend Grieg").

The central work on this CD is a debut recording of Aubrey's Maske by Simon Wills. The seven movements masterfully depict stories from the bawdy and extremely funny sets of biographies left by John Aubrey (1927 - 97). The playing here is vivid and full of fun, with every player having the chance to shine. The programme notes are again a wonderful diversion whilst listening to this piece and it is well worth buying the disc if only to hear this great addition to 10-piece repertoire.

Sinfonietta for Brass by Edwin McClarty is the most challenging work for the listener on this CD. The playing here is clear and controlled, with good ensemble and a wonderful full sound. The musical contrast is welcome at this point in the programme and sets the scene for the final seven tracks, all of which are light, entertaining works inspired by standards or show music. The trombones are featured in Carmichael's Georgia on my Mind, beautifully phrased and with a singing sound. Bass trombonist Dave Eaglestone plays Mancini's Days of Wine and Roses with great style and the final Gershwin Selection is played with maturity and soul.
    I have many brass ensemble CD's gathering dust on my shelves. This will not be joining them - it's going in my car so that I can listen to it again and again!

Kevin Price
    Principal Trombone, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra